December 12, 2017, 01:01:07 PM

Author Topic: What's the count fellers?  (Read 3695 times)

april

What's the count fellers?
« on: November 05, 2004, 12:17:41 AM »
I've wanted to concentrate on deer hunting. Well..... I was sitting out and had the bow, and watching the squirrels run around and do their thing, while waiting on a deer. Wasn't long, I heard em back in the woods to the right of me. Heard what sounded like a doe bleat at her young. ("Maaaaa")
So, I was getting ready and all....
Wouldn't you know it, one of them blasted tree rats jumped in MY tree and started to climb down. He saw me, and like a dummy, I looked up at him. And he got scared when he saw he couldn't get down the way he wanted to come without climbing over me. So, tail went to twitching and he started barking at me like a mangy ol dog. He got every rat to barking. And then I heard a pile of deer blowing. So, I knew they were gittin.
So, next day....guess what I did? Yep. I went tree rat slaughtering. I only got 3 the first day. 1 the next. And got my limit the day after and the next. Now, there ain't no squirrels out there to mess me up in that spot.

So, how's the count for you fellers? I guess I'm at 20 now.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 02:10:31 AM »
April, that's quite a story, those onery squirrels spooking :x  :evil:  your deer. The dastardly little varmints deserved to die!  :shock: It sounds like you thinned them out pretty good, girl. You realize you are getting a good start, don't you? Yeah, the rascals can be a real bother while deer hunting. Sometimes they will alert you to a deer headed your way, too. They certainly like to make trouble for any thing they can. I like to think we squirrel hunters are making it better for deer hunters. I think you have done a good job of curing a lot of your deer alarm problem. Good work! =D>  :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

april

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 04:43:56 AM »
Yeah, they are good about letting one in on a deer heading in. I just cure "my spot" of the tree dwellers, I let em go about their buisness on into the woods.  I actually enjoyed watching them and all ....some seemed to almost climb over me they were so close ...(I was on the ground)...but, that one got spooked and he let em all know something was amiss on the woods. And that ain't too cool.  :wink:

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 07:10:14 AM »
Congrats on the rats!!  I haven't gotten to go anymore since 10/10, so the count still stands at 35 for the year.  They extended our season this year to the end of February, so hopefully when things slow down at work in January, I'll be able to get back out there and blast some more of the little fuzzy buggers! :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 04:54:18 PM »
I added one to my score that I was proud of yesterday. We were hunting in a new place yesterday when I heard one barking at a distance. I did a sneak up to a fence line and spotted a fox squirrel in a tree just a bit over 100 yards away. He was running all over the tree and was barking at something in a creekbed next to the tree. I rested my rifle on the top of a fencepost and squezzed the trigger after the south stiff breeze slacked off. The .17 black ballistic tip hit him right in the eardrum and passed out the other side  :shock: of his head. His head was sticking up above some vines and sticks that pretty will had his body blocked from a bullet, so I knew that if the bullet didn't hit his head, he was probably pretty safe. We got 5 yesterday, all head  :shock: shots. My hunting partner just got his .17HMR Marlin a couple of weeks ago, and was dying to get it sighted in. Well, we got 'er done, and started hunting about 10: 30 in the morning. My buddy was still raving about his .17 all the way home. Big58cal, we have another serious convert to the .17! :twisted:  :)  :)  :)  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

april

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 08:32:23 PM »
Cool..congrats on the rats! :D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 08:37:49 PM »
Cool Beans!  The more the merrier!!!!!!!  Congrats on the shot.  Sounds like it was a doosey!  I made a couple of good ones this weekend on a couple of deer, one with a pistol and the other with the .270.  As far as difficulty, the pistol shot was about a 7 (on a scale of 10).  The rifle shot was about an 8.5 - 9.0! 8)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 01:33:57 AM »
Thanks, and same to you, BC! I had a lot of deer really close that day. One nice buck, but only a 6 pointer, walked and dinked around not more than 8 or 10 yards from me. He never did know I was there. This has been happening to me every weekend, does and bucks just a few yards from me. I am camoed up really good during my squirrel hunting. I must not need my yet to be made Gillie suit. Maybe I should run downtown and buy a bow tag, huh?

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 06:32:18 AM »
I've got 2 this year.... I am waiting for the snow, then it gets really easy. :D

Joe

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 09:11:46 AM »
I went out and got 3 the other day...   I caught the first one hanging on a tree upisde down, shot him and he thumped to the ground.
I stayed where I was because there were a few more nearby...  Then my next one came down a tree about 5 feet from my first one, stopped about 7 feet off of the ground and stared at his friend that was lying on the ground with a hole in his head....  what do you guys thnk was going through his mind????  well he got shot, and fell down about 2 feet from his buddy.  
The last one was playing tag with another squack about 50 yards out from me, he paused to rest, and I dropped him.  his buddy scooted as soon as the shot went off, any ideas on how to get both of them when you catch a pair playing tag???
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Facebook Comments