November 24, 2017, 07:09:07 PM

Author Topic: Tag soup - Double Strength!  (Read 862 times)

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
Tag soup - Double Strength!
« on: May 17, 2009, 12:00:16 AM »
Been a while since I have been on the board. Thought I'd update.

Couldn't go out 2nd season with the crew cuz of work so I got a 3rd season tag.  Weather this year had the toms all messed up.  Most seemed to have mated early and had NO interest whatsoever in male dekes.  They'd just turn around and walk off as soon as they saw a tom or a jake deke.  Now I have to say that 5 miles away a guy had 2 toms come in and beat the crap out of his dekes.  Had a HUGE old tom come out, I mean HUGE - beard dragging the ground, snood hanging way down.....  Come around the corner, sees the hens, starts struttin, comes a little more, sees the Jake, no more strut and turns and walks away

Always, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Hunted the bottoms, they are running the ridges - set up up top and they are down in the valley.  Go to the west side and they head to the east, and on and on.  So 3rd season is a bust.

Decide to get a 4th season tag.  Went out a number of times and same story - wrong place, wrong time - no interest in dekes, calls would get a response but they wouldn't come to them.

Then the "honey-dos" came into play and now I have 2 tags to make tag soup with....

Oh well, that's why they call it hunting.  There is always next year....
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

turkeynutz

Re: Tag soup - Double Strength!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 12:41:30 AM »
That sucks AP. I havent knocked anything down but three horny jakes in Okla. And one here. Those long beards either were educated or just plain henned up tight this season. All my birds were without decoys and just my double D mouth call. Got one more shot over in Kansas then Im done.

Facebook Comments