November 23, 2017, 01:40:07 PM

Author Topic: First Bear  (Read 4144 times)

Offline DarkAngel

• Applied for my club membership...
  • It's can't get much better then this!
First Bear
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:06:08 AM »
Well I'm just as happy as can be, I shot my first bear the last day of May.

He was a unique bear, all black save for a white heart shaped patch on his chest.     I shot him with my father in laws 7400 30-06 so that made it extra special!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: First Bear
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 07:38:39 AM »
Well I'm just as happy as can be, I shot my first bear the last day of May.

He was a unique bear, all black save for a white heart shaped patch on his chest.     I shot him with my father in laws 7400 30-06 so that made it extra special!

Hey, great going, DA!  O0 Where was you hunting?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
good goin but wheres the pictures so we can show D45/70 what a bear looks like  :twisted: :D ;D ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 04:26:09 PM »
Congrats DarkAngel! O0  And welcome to the site. O0 O0  As Plott said, where's the pictures?  ???

Just give a holler if you need help posting them.  About everyone on here can help walk you through it, well except for John and turkeynutz. :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DarkAngel

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:37:37 AM »
I'm a Vermonter who left the Green Mountains for Idaho(oh, yeah and for the love of my life).

I'm glad I did, the amount of and verity of game here has me floored. 

Hunting over bait is a no no in my old state so in all the years of hunting Vermont I seen one bear on the paw's.  I have seen dead ones but NO shot my me, mostly just luck seeing a bear while out deer hunting.

So, getting to see bear come in to bait is a thrill.  I was amazed at how much smaller Idaho bears are then Vermont bears that run in the 600 and sometimes more pounds.  There are some big ones here but according to the Fish and Game the average bear goes 125, lack of food and running up and down these steep mountains keep them lean. 

My bear came close to 160 so I'm feeling good.  I told my husband that I'd want a BIG bear or one that was unique.  So when the boar came in with this super white patch, heart shaped befitting since I was with honey, I could not pass him up.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 05:21:02 AM »
nice  O0 O0
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
OUTSTANDING!!!  O0  Nice bear & congrats again!  I'd have popped that thing in a heart beat! O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »
nice  O0 O0
O0 Nice bear! I've never seen one with a big white patch like that.

I bet your heart was pounding!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »
Aw that's awesome DarkAngel!
That thing looks so cool...are you gonna mount it?
Did you cook up any bear steaks yet? :D

Offline DarkAngel

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 12:38:31 AM »
With our freezer overflowing with elk, moose and deer meat we gave the bear meat to our neighbors, they gave us back some stew meat. 

Yes, I will have the bear mounted it will be a half body mount from the taxi. guy down the street.  He gave me the skull, hind area of the bear with the back claws and pee pee bone.  I dabble in taxidermy so I clean up and whitened the skull and bone, dried the hide and made this wall hanger .  I's not on the wall yet, I'm waiting for the hubby to make a backing for it so I can hang it.  I took the pic while it was on a table so I feel you don't get the true effect.

Best

Facebook Comments