October 19, 2017, 02:18:34 PM

Author Topic: Getting the Equinox Tricked Out!  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Getting the Equinox Tricked Out!
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
I'm slowly getting all of the pieces and parts that I need for the Equinox. O0

Here's the "before" pictures of it, a day or two after I got it and got it put together.

Now, here's the bow with the sling, NGSS, & Groundpounder mounts attached. O0

The NGSS (best seen in the second picture) is a set of bumpers to quieten the beast down!  It takes most of the "twang" out of the string once it's shot.  The Groundpounder mount is the thing holding the quiver up.  In the first 2 pictures, you can see the factory position for the quiver is down under the bow and off to the side.  This isn't a really good place if you shoot from a rest.  The mount moves the quiver up on top, out of the way.  It's also high enough that it doesn't mess with the F.O.V. through the scope. O0

I've also got the sling for it, and one of the Flemish Fast Flight strings on it.  I'm having a couple of custom strings made to go on the monster also.  These things will have a set of cat whiskers served onto them and are faster than the Flemish Fast Flight strings available from Excalibur. O0

Here's a picture of one.

Mine are going to a different color, fluorescent green & red on one and fluorescent yellow and red on the other. O0 ;D  The guy said he'll be able to start on them in about a month. O0

About the last thing that's going to go on it are a set of Crossbow Limbsavers on the back side of the limbs. O0

The deer might as well just go ahead and give up when me and the boy walk in the woods this fall. O0 :twisted:

Forgot to mention........  If anyone has an Excalibur crossbow, let me know and I'll give you the contact info for the NGSS, Groundpounder mount, and the custom strings. O0 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:37:30 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting the Equinox Tricked Out!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »
Very nice, BC. That new string and the NGSS should make that thing wicked quite. The new position of the quiver looks a little odd, but only cuz I ain't never seen one done like that before. It sure makes alot more since than the usual under bow mount.
 Don't forget like any other bow, once you replace the string, you gotta shoot the crap out of it til the string takes a set and gets consistant.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:29:52 AM »
My dad hunts with a crossbow. He has the Horton that pulls 175 lbs. and is supposed to shoot like 320 fps. Talk about loud, he has no interest in tricking it out for the few hunts he does a year but he did add the limb savers and it still sounds like a .22 going off. I heard him shoot one evening while hunting and he was 50 yards away at least across a finger of a bean field.

You bow looks good BC, let us know what it chrono's at when you are done.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
With the Flemish string from Excalibur, it's supposed to be shooting 350 fps.  The new strings (without cat whiskers) will speed it up even more, but the cat whiskers will slow it down a little.  So with the new string and cat whiskers, it should pretty much be a wash on any speed increase.  I'm still happy with 350 fps. O0 :twisted:

Here's some data that one guy did on the difference in the strings:

Hi Don.
Well here goes the chronograph used is a Beta Master Chrony, with a new 9 volt battery installed. The temp outside was 78 degrees and a clear blue sky above. Time was 11:30A.M. Date 8-25-08. Arrow used Easton C2 20 inch in length with 4 inch plastic fletch. Excal type. It weighed 273.8 grains bare and a 125 grain tip was used. A new 2008 Vortex was used to obtain data. The string was set on the tip line. The first set of numbers used are with a factory string sent along with a new bow.
Adv velocity is 305.55. Extreme spread is 5.6 F.P.S. Kinetic energy 82.94 Ft. Lbs.

Boo String 40 strand made with loving care, and served with Halo
Adv velocity is 316.58. Extreme spread is 1 F.P.S. Kinetic energy 89.04 Ft. Lbs. Calculations done using Archers Edge program.
This string had about 25 shots on it before test.
Please note noise and shock level were about equal to factory string noted above.
Don I hope this works for you, Keep up the great string making, Russ

The thing that I like about the string is notice the 'Extreme spread' numbers.  5.6 fps on the factory string and 1 fps on the Boo string. O0  The custom string is more consistent in it's speed, which will mean a more consistent grouping. O0

The NGSS & Groundpounder mounts add a little more weight to the front of the bow, but for the difference in sound and not having the quiver in the way, they're worth it!

A few weeks ago when I went to the KHEC event, after we had the targets set and before the kids started showing up, I took the bow out to one of the targets and shot it.  Two of my buddies were about 75 yds away.  They said that the thing was LOUD even from that distance.  I'll sacrifice a little speed to quieten the thing down.  I've shot enough deer with a regular bow to know that the bow noise will mean the difference between a good shot and a bad shot sometimes.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »
WOW !! My eyes about popped out of my head when I read the second set of numbers. That's impressive. Now you can't blame the bow.

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
Dad always said, if a deer at twenty yards can hear and still get out of the way with it shooting that fast then he was not meant to kill it.  His rationalization is that if it goes 350 feet in a second then at a distance of 60 feet it is like .15 of a second and no deer is that fast. And so far he has been correct. :twisted: ;D

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 02:07:35 AM »
Hate to tell you Strutter, but .15 sec is alot longer than you think. If objects fall at 32 ft per second, then that breaks down to 3.2 ft in .1 sec. Lets say an adult deer is 1.5 ft ( 18 inches) from brisket to whithers, he can drop that distance in just over .05 sec.  That leaves alot of time for the upward/forward jump. The reflexes are too fast for me to even guess at.
 At best, if a deer is in a semi alerted state, the vitals become a moving target and are not likely to be where they were when you loosed the arrow. A relaxed or distracted deer might give better odds, being it might look to see what that noise was, but generally even they will bolt a short ways then look back.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »
I'm going to have to dispute your numbers a little Mo. :wink:  Doing some figuring, here's what I came up with.....

At 68oF, sound travels at 1,125 ft/sec
My arrow is going to be traveling at 350 ft/sec.

At 20 yds (60 ft)
     Arrow will cover distance in 0.171 sec
     Sound will cover distance in 0.053 sec
     Sound will reach target 0.118 sec sooner than arrow

At 30 yds (90 ft)
     Arrow will cover distance in 0.257 sec
     Sound will cover distance in 0.080 sec
     Sound will reach target 0.177 sec sooner than arrow

At 40 yds (120 ft)
     Arrow will cover distance in 0.343 sec
     Sound will cover distance in 0.107 sec
     Sound will reach target 0.236 sec sooner than arrow

From what I've been able to find, a deer can drop approx. 8" in 1/8th of a second.  1/8th = 0.125

This equals out to 0.015625 sec/inch of travel

At 20 yds, deer can drop 7.55" before the arrow arrives (given 350 ft/sec arrow).

Granted, all of these numbers are straight figures and don't take into account any variation.  An adult deer's chest cavity height ranges from 14" - 20" from back bone to brisket.  Taking the average of that is 17".  The vital area is approx. 10" in diameter on a 17" deer, and let's assume it's centered, so that's 8.5" above and 8.5" below the center point to the deer's "edge", with only 5" of this either way being vital area.

If I aim at the bottom 1/3 of the deer, at the bottom of the vitals, my P.O.A. will be at 3.5" up from the bottom edge.  If the deer drops 7.5" by the time my arrow gets there, it's going to impact 11" up on the side of the deer, but it's still going to be in the vitals by 2.5".

So, in a round-about way, if I aim for the heart and the deer drops, it's going to be dang near impossible for the critter to get out of there without getting an arrow through either his heart or lungs. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
Forgot to add...........

All of that assumes the deer DOES "jump string" on me.  I've had some not jump at all.

Also, at 20 yds, you're inside the deer's "personal" space, with the deer more likely to react to a sound.  From 30 yds and beyond, the deer may hear it, but it's outside of their personal space so they are less likely to react.  They may look, but that may be about it. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »
Can't dispute that, I did forget the delay created by the time it takes for the sound to travel that distance. That makes a world of difference in the end result.
 Still both scenerios demonstrate the need to anticipate the possibility of jumping the string and choose the point of aim accordingly, especially when working near or within the boundries of the deer's "personal space".

Facebook Comments