December 11, 2017, 05:42:24 PM

Author Topic: Official Deer Season Thread  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Official Deer Season Thread
« on: November 14, 2004, 08:17:28 PM »
OK, let's hear it.  What's the count for everyone so far this year?

Our General Firearms Season opened up this weekend.  I got a 4 pt. with the .44 Mag on Saturday and a big doe this morning with the .270 Win.  "Officially", I'm 'tagged-out', but since a lot of counties in KY have unlimited doe harvest, I'll probably get another tag so that I can get out in the woods again (legally), but I doubt I'll shoot anymore down there where I hunt at.  The population is low enough now and doesn't really need any more does shot.

So what's everyone else got so far this year???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Smokey41

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 10:52:59 PM »
I don't start until next monday (Nov 22nd). I will be in upstate NY the 22nd thru 30th.
 :shock:  <--how I hope the deer look when they realize they have been shot.  LOL

april

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 03:29:42 AM »
Nothing for me so far. See a few deer but they either are too far away and don't come near me for a shot with the bow, or I am on the ground and unable to get in closer to them without them "making me". but, all this will be remedied once rifle season comes in  :roll:  :twisted:  :wink:

Offline Lopalong

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 02:15:52 PM »
Rolled a ten point yesterday.  Would have let him walk, but he ran in after 3 does and I had to make a decision to shoot or not within a couple of seconds.  :(     It was an ok deer, just something I would normally never shoot.  I have filmed much better this year that I let walk.
Sometimes I wake up grumpy, sometimes I let her sleep in.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:00:04 PM »
I know what you mean on letting them walk.  Normally, unless I'm going to put it on the wall, I don't shoot a buck.  The only problem with me is that since I started this new job last year, our busiest time is NOW!  It really makes it hard to try to hunt when you're working daylight to dark 7 days/week! :x   Saturday morning when the little buck showed up, I was like one of the old buzzards in the picture (Two are sitting on a limb when one looks at the other and says, "Patience My A**, I'm Gonna' Kill Something!").
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 01:59:34 AM »
BC, it looks like you are doing real good!  =D> I expected nothing less from ol' BC! :D  :D  :D  :D Lopalong has done pretty good, too!  :D  :D  :D  :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 06:35:35 AM »
Where me and my dad hunt deer, when you pass on all of those little things like does w/ fawns, spikes, butttons and little 4 pts, they all are hanging at the butcher that night. :(  #-o  I don't know why though.... I guess they shoot the first deer they see.... ](*,)

Joe :(

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 11:10:15 AM »
Joe, you are absolutely right! I see 40 pound deer checked through our check station, and it tells you a lot about a person that shoots such small animals. I issued a ticket :D  to one that used to check in fawn sized deer. I could do nothing about the size of the deer, but the fella showed up at the check station with a loaded 12GA slug gun in his truck. :shock: We check a LOT of hunters, and gun safety is an absolute must, especially loaded guns that are assumed to be empty. We also suspected the same fellow to be shooting deer from his vehicle, but we could never catch him in the act.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 04:47:01 PM »
\:D/  :-&
 We've got a few
  Mine a 3x3 Muley
  Sons 6x6 Muley-Two whitetail does- 1 Muley doe
  Daughter 4x4 Muley
  daughter inlaw 3x5 Muley-two wt does
  son inlaw Two Wt does- a BIG OLD Muley doe
  Son 4x5 elk
  and we all got NICE antelope this year.
 So far not to bad!! :-k  #-o
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 09:00:17 PM »
Very nice totals D45/70!!!!

John I hate it when people shoot little deer. Rifle season opens up monday here in NY and thats when the woods get turned upside down after early archery......

Joe

Facebook Comments