November 19, 2017, 10:57:54 PM

Author Topic: Rocky mountain fever?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Rocky mountain fever?
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:44:52 PM »
 my dog has been limping randomly. One day she'd not even be able to jump on the couch and the next she'd be running around in the back yard chasing things. It goes back and forth like that. Checked her feet for puncture wounds nothing, took her to the vet he tested her limbs out and everything seemed okay. She had a temp of 103.3 and he took blood, hypothesizing the cause of the fever/limping is rocky mountain spotted fever. Gave me some anti biotics and pain pills to give her which i give her every day, but only give her the pain pills when she's having a bad day.  The vet called about the blood test and said it looked "Suspicious for rocky mountain fever" . I took her back to the vet after the first bottle of anti biotics got used up, and he took some more blood. He said this time it was going to specificly test for the rocky mountain fever. Refilled the pills and i am on my way. Vet left a msg today and says the test results once again looked suspicious, and that it might be a chronic thing she's had, but the symptoms have been subtle till now. 2nd time he's expensively drawn her blood and sent it to a lab to be tested for rocky mountain fever. Still havent' gotten a clear answer on wether she has it. She's never had this limping problem before. Started 4 weeks ago at teh most.  She used to play with a neigboors pitbull all the time they'd bump and run into each other , and there was never a problem.

Her fever went down somewhat its sitting in the high 101.decimal(i think 101.8). I looked up rocky mountain spotted fever and that looks like skin herpes or something nasty like chicken pox, yet my dog has no rashes. Dunno what to do about her limping and i dont know if i should still walk her outside because she has a fever.

Shouldn't the vet know if she has the rocky mountain fever after 2 tests? I need your help I'm worried for my dog's health right now.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Rocky mountain fever?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »
Dude, it sounds like you need to find another vet.  There shouldn't have been a 2nd time of drawing blood and testing.  Even for some freak chance there way, there definitely shouldn't be a 3rd! >:(

It may be Lyme Disease.  Don't really know the specifics of it in dogs, but in humans I know it causes flu-like symptoms and joint pain.

Watch on giving her the pain pills.  You WANT a dog to be in pain a little, otherwise (if they aren't feeling any because of the pils) they may overdo it and hurt themselves.

First thing though is find another vet.  Even in the little one-horse town I'm from, there's 2 different vets.

Hope this helps you & hope she gets better. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »
i just looked up the lyme disease symptoms on dogs http://www.vetvax.com/lymediseasedogs.html

and that sounds exactly what she has. Fever of 102 - 105 , poor appetite, arthritic symptoms that shift from one leg to another exactly what is going on with her. Pain disappears and recurs, etc...

quote from teh site "Some dogs are affected with the Lyme Disease organism for over a year before they finally show symptoms. By this time, the disease may be quite widespread in the dog's body."

So i guess the vet's chronic disease hypothesi may hold some water.

Rocky mountain spotted fever sounds rediculous to me. Lyme disease sounds spot on i'm going to look more into it TY Big58 TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY THANK YOU

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:46:04 AM »
I've had a few young dogs go through this. Once, I had it diagnosed as "Pano"
Here's a good read: http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/depano.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:47:45 AM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »
She is a large breed dog but she's 4 yrs old.. The symptoms do sound similar tho. TY for the input guys

Facebook Comments