October 22, 2017, 10:44:35 PM

Author Topic: Crossbows  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Crossbows
« on: June 25, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
How many people on here hunt with a crossbow?  Just curious if I'm the only one on here. ???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Re: Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:05:57 PM »
I tell ya I would love too.
But I think I gotta take baby steps and start with a shotty. :twisted:

BBF

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
I got one, never used it for hunting. It is supposed to be legal this year here but I haven't seen anything in print. There is a certain apple tree that the deer like which is way to close to a road and house for a rifle. :)

Offline BUDFIELDS

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 10:36:08 PM »
I just started hunting with a crossbow last season. I always stated, "As long as I can draw a recurve or compound bow and execute the shot.. I will NEVER use a crossbow." Little did I realize I would ever have to start using a crossbow or quit archery hunting altogether.

I started bowhunting in 1964 and archery hunting has been a HUGE part of my life but after some physical injuires and corrective surgeries resulting in arthritis in the lower back, right shoulder and lower neck, drawing a bow and executing the shot without enduring ALOT of pain became difficult. My surgeons and doctors strongly suggested I consider a crossbow.

I purchased an Excaliber Phoenix and practiced and become rarther proficient and best of all.. I NO LONGER endured the pain I had. The crossbow allowed me to continue my archery hunting.

I thought the crossbow wopuld make it "too easy" but it DOES NOT!! You still need to be in the right place at the right time, know your yardage and execute the shot just like you would with a recurve or compound bow and you are STILL limited to short range shooting. I shot 5 deer last season the the longest distance was 28 yards..

Bud Fields

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:06:44 PM »
I hunt with an old Horton crossbow after it gets cold and I can no longer shoot the compound. Just another concession to old age like not climbing trees anymore. I never thought I would hunt with the crossbow until it became either use it or not hunt. I enjoy archery too much to just give it up after the first frost. Crossbow is not my first choice, but it beats not hunting.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
Glad to see that I'm not the only one on here. O0  Congrats on the Excalibur Phoenix Bud! O0  I got an Excalibur Equinox earlier this year.  That thing is deadly accurate! :twisted:

I had a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder for years and just kind of dealt with the pain.  Finally decided to get it fixed a couple of years ago.  Talking to the surgeon and the physical therapist, it seemed that all of my compound shooting over the years finally caught up with me and was the primary cause of the tear. >:(  Now that I've got it fixed, I'm not about to screw it up again, thus the reason for the crossbow.

After having shot the thing quite a bit now, I honestly can't see why so many people are against their use in the regular archery season. ???  They have limited yardage, just like a compound, you still have to get the animals close, and effectivly judge the yardage, and you've basically just got 1 shot.  The way that they are more challenging than regular bows is by the amount of noise they make when you shoot, and they are a heck of a lot wider than a regular bow.  Yeah, it's already cocked so you don't have the movement of drawing the bow, but from what I've seen so far, that's the only advantage over regular archery equipment.

On my compound that I hunted with for years, I had 1 set of cat whiskers to quieten it down.  This thing, I've got 6 different things on it to help reduce the noise.  All of the stuff helps and reduced the noise quite a bit, but it's still a heck of a lot louder than my compound was. :-\

The one thing that I'm really looking forward to this year is getting 'the boy' out with me hunting, while it's still relatively warm. :wink:  If I can get him behind the bow a little more, he may be the one shooting it either this year or next at a deer. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »
If I still bow hunted deer I would switch to crossbow in a heartbeat.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline BUDFIELDS

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »
You know, I frequent MANY forums and there was a couple that sort of let me know they were TOTALLY AGAINST ANY archer that uses a crossbow. I am one of the "easiest going" guys around and I NEVER stated that a compound bow was BETTER than a recurve, or a crossbow was better than a compound bow but I was told UNLESS I used a vertical bow, I was NOT considered a bowhunter at all...

Even before I had to switch weapons, I told people WHATEVER WORKED FOR THEM, AS LONG AS IT WAS LEGAL AND ETHICAL, WAS FINE WITH ME. I just could NOT face the fact that I had to consider NOT being able to deer hunt with archery equipment. I have been fortunate and have met MANY friends while bowhunting and if I had to THROW ROCKS at the deer... I would do that also.

We, as hunters, DO NOT need to be fighting amongst ourself. We have enough opposition trying to get our tradition of hunting taken away from us.. Let's STAND TOGETHER not AGAINST each other because of our choice of hunting equipment.

Whether you use a recurve, compound or crossbow..IF you need any help tracking or dragging your deer put of the woods, I will GLADLY help you and congratulate you on your success.

Bud Fields

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 06:30:18 PM »
There are people conventional bow hunting that should be crossbow hunting, actually. It would equate to less crippled and wasted deer if one is not up to or no longer capable of conventional bow hunting. I bet many bow purists haven't even taken this into account.
Crossbows are awesome and very accurate. If I was to take up arrowing deer again, I would use a crossbow without apologies or a second thought.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 10:39:44 PM »
Y'all have noticed we have not had many if any of these shmucks who demand we use what they say we should use, post here.

Know why?

Their pu**ies, pure and simple.

Like all bullies they're actually gutless cowards who coud never articulate why their way is the only way to go, because they know it isn't. I'd actaully welcome some of them coming here and running their mouths. It would give the rest of us some target practice  before the season opens. :wink: :wink: :wink:

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments