October 23, 2017, 11:11:03 AM

Author Topic: Kentucky's Covered Bridges  (Read 572 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Kentucky's Covered Bridges
« on: July 07, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
For some of you history buff's, here's a pretty good link for you.

Kentucky's Covered Bridges

It may be worth a drive for some of you to go around and see some of these.  Most (with the exception of 3) are concentrated in a relatively small area of the state.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Kentucky's Covered Bridges
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »
I never got to see any of those when I was stationed in Kentucky.

Kentucky is a beautiful state. If you've never been you need to go.

I've toyed with the idea of retiring to the area around the Land Between the Lakes. But I'll probably never live long enough to retire. :buck2
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:47:05 AM »
I can remember several of the covered bridges around home when I was growing up, but sadly they aren't there anymore. :'(  One of them up in Greenup Co., when I was living up there, I went across that one a time or two (the one across Tygart Creek).

Those things are like the old one-lane iron bridges we used to have around home.  There used to be 3 right around Bradfordsville where I grew up.  They've all been torn down now and replaced with 2 lane concrete bridges.  The old iron bridges had wood floors in them and had 2 raised up "tracks" of wood that your tires rode on.  Ahhhh, the good old days.......... :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »
Covered bridges are awesome. We have one near home, just a few miles away.
And yes, Kentucky is a fantastic state. I have always enjoyed working and playing in Kentucky.
My next trip to Kentucky will certainly include seeing the famous Big58cal Estate. The owner is reputed to be a great cookout chef and collector of the finer things in life (except for his Marlin .17 HMR rifles).  :wink:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »
The owner is reputed to be a great cookout chef and collector of the finer things in life (except for his Marlin .17 HMR rifles).  :wink:

I WOULD also collect knives, but sadly my knife maker has been on an extended vacation apparently .....................  :roll:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »
I WOULD also collect knives, but sadly my knife maker has been on an extended vacation apparently .....................  :roll:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  :roll: :-X Not completely. I got your blade done except for the engraving, and your fancy handle wood has arrived after I had it stabilized.  :)
I scrapped your guthook blade, didn't like it. No problem, is easy to grind another one. Speaking of which, you have any ideas on a preferred design, something maybe small and out of the way for a guthook? Or you want me to use my imagination? I will have enough of the same piece of handle wood to make a small matching handle for the guthook.
Your handle wood is rare as hen's teeth, Osage Orange burl. I have yet to talk to another knife maker that has even seen said wood.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm just aggrivating you John!  ;D O0 :twisted:  I know those things take a little time to get done.

As for the gut hook, make a smaller one, but use your imagination on the design. O0 :shock:

Squirrel season opens next month, and after all, that is a squirrel skinning knife you're making for me.............. :wink:  Sure would be nice to have a good knife like that with me on opening morning.......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:02:42 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm just aggrivating you John!  ;D O0 :twisted:  I know those things take a little time to get done.

As for the gut hook, make a smaller one, but use your imagination on the design. O0 :shock:

Squirrel season opens next month, and after all, that is a squirrel skinning knife you're making for me.............. :wink:  Sure would be nice to have a good knife like that with me on opening morning.......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sounds good!  O0 A brown sheath would match the handle wood, BC.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:45:22 PM »
Sounds good!  O0 A brown sheath would match the handle wood, BC.

Just plain brown.  No initials, no basket weave, just plain. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »
Just plain brown.  No initials, no basket weave, just plain. O0
Sounds good!  O0 Your burl handle wood is natural brown, not the regular color of Osage. As you well know, one of the quirks of burl is wild color variations.

Facebook Comments