December 16, 2017, 07:34:05 PM

Author Topic: Why Compound Bows Should Be Banned From Crossbow Season!  (Read 3910 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Why Compound Bows Should Be Banned From Crossbow Season!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:23:54 PM »
I see your point Tnutz, and it has become more about the kill and keeping up with the Jones's.

There has been a 20% drop off in license sales in Georgia over the past 7 years. Much has to do with the economy. People have families to feed and cloth and educate. All those things come before hunting.

But...

I've met quite a few people around my age (40-50) who have hunted all their lives but have given it up because it's no longer about the fellowship or the fun of the hunt, and just being out and enjoying nature.

It's all about kill! Kill! Kill!

From 1972 to the present I've seen a statewide gun season for private land go from 1 month and 2 buck only limits. To 2009 and a 3 month gun season with a 12 deer limit and 10 of those must be does.

There has also been an antler restriction emposed as well on 1 of the 2 bucks you can kill.

We went from 350,000 deer statewide in 1972 to over a million today and we're seeing more B&C and P&Y deer every year being taken. Yet, nobody seems to be happy. They want more and more and more.

I know of lifelong friendships destroyed over someone killing someone elses deer.

When did a deer become the property of a particular hunter?

I must have not gotten the memo on that one.

Grown men who act like teenage girls going out on a big date. They have to have matching camo everything.

Camo socks, camo boots, camo underwear. If they can't get it they pout and sulk until they can find it.

They get a Lincoln Navigator all tricked out, but refuse to drive down a dirt road. Yet from the first day they bought it all they can do is talk about what an off road monster it is.

Geez! Get a life you loser!

And DON'T get me started on the "Rainmen" who have to show up carrying Tactical Sniper Rifles!!! These Pantywaists should be hung-drawn and quarterd, but I bite my tongue and say "whatever floats your boat" I do my part and support others even if I don't follow their style of hunting.

I'm not going to get on the ban the hunting preserve bandwagon though Tnutz, since I'm convinced if we close them down we're only signing our own death warrants, because first it'll be big game preserves, then it will be bird hunting preserves and then it will end up with public and private land to hunt on in the end.

I believe like most of us here that we ARE the party of the big tent. We HAVE to support all hunting, or we will only be the instruments of our own demise.

I just wish we had more Sportsmen rather than hunters. Anybody can hunt. Anybody can pull a trigger or let go of a bow string. But it takes a sportsman to know that it's not about the size of the rack or the cost of the gun. It's your heart and your soul and the love of the outdoors and those things in it that make us the GOOD guys we are.

Sportsmen know that. And always have.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:36:25 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
That is very well said, bo!  O0
I guess there are a lot of lazy armchair hunters nowdays that let their kids stay inside all day and play video games.
One thing that may be a cause, in the old days we HAD to hunt and fish to put meat on the table. Nothing was wasted and you either worked or starved, for the most part. During the same time, in big cities the hookers and others of the same club received unwholesome sums of welfare money for shucking out kids.  :tickedoff I saw that for myself when I worked in the 'hood in KC, MO. One local nightcrawler had 13 kids and received $100 per kid. I was working long hours for $1.25 per hour and also working two part time jobs to make ends meet.  :tickedoff 
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »
Well said Bohica! O0

As for the fenced enclosures, if that's what someone wants to do, then so be it.  Either way, they're still paying tax money into PR, which benefits the state F&W agencies.  Also, when it comes to legislation against hunting, these people can be counted as an additional vote for our side. O0  I'd rather have them with us than against us.

For the life of me though, I just can't understand why there's so much bias against crossbows by some vertical bow shooters. ??? :idiot2  The only thing that I can think of is that these people are just so selfish that they don't want to share the woods with anyone else and they're afraid that someone is going to shoot THEIR buck. :roll:

With the way that hunter numbers are declining, the only way to reverse it is to get more people involved in the sport.  Crossbows can do this!!!!!  Also, with hunter numbers declining, game populations are climbing.  With the increased participation that crossbows will bring, there's no reason not to allow their use in hunting seasons.

I can remember when I was growing up that the limit on deer was 2, at least one of these had to be a buck.  Later it was changed that ONLY 1 of these 2 could be a buck.  That was back when KY had a 7 zone structure throughout the state, with #1 being the most liberal and #7 the most restrictive.  The gun season ran for 1 week and that was it.

Now, KY has a 4 zone structure.  You can still only take 1 antlered deer, but in Zone 1 counties you can take an unlimited number of does.  Zones 2-4 you can take a maximum of 4 does or 3 does & 1 buck.  The difference in these zones are the season lengths.  The bow season runs Sept. 1st - Jan. 15th (I think).  Gun seasons run about 3 weeks, and there are 2 muzzleloading seasons for a total of 11 days.

Our F&W agency tried expanding crossbows into the entire archery season, but the anti-crossbow crowd threw such a fit and started pulling some stunts with the legislature that F&W backed off.  They're allowed now for the first 3 weeks in October, but then closes until the gun season starts in November.  The reason for the closure of 2-3 weeks is that period is the pre-rut and the "bowhunters" wanted that time to themselves. >:(
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »
BC, its always been considered a firearm where I came from. I dont see the problem in it all though. As long as you harvest the deer its all good. Notice I was politicly correct there. O0 Horsesheet! Its the hunters that want to ster the pot all the time thats going to get our rights stripped!
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »
I would gladly support crossbow hunting the entire season. What's the dif? A dead deer is one less problem critter in this neck of the woods where we have a lot of crop damage caused by deer.
I am watching deer herds feeding in bean fields every day, chomping on the tender tops of the young bean plants. I can't really blame the deer, they gotta eat. But it's the farmers that's feeding them the expensive feed.
Antler growth is really great this year. My pals and I are seeing fantastic antler growth on a lot of big bucks while we are on patrol.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline cabinkeeper101st

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
I see your point Tnutz, and it has become more about the kill and keeping up with the Jones's.

There has been a 20% drop off in license sales in Georgia over the past 7 years. Much has to do with the economy. People have families to feed and cloth and educate. All those things come before hunting.

But...

I've met quite a few people around my age (40-50) who have hunted all their lives but have given it up because it's no longer about the fellowship or the fun of the hunt, and just being out and enjoying nature.

It's all about kill! Kill! Kill!

From 1972 to the present I've seen a statewide gun season for private land go from 1 month and 2 buck only limits. To 2009 and a 3 month gun season with a 12 deer limit and 10 of those must be does.

There has also been an antler restriction emposed as well on 1 of the 2 bucks you can kill.

We went from 350,000 deer statewide in 1972 to over a million today and we're seeing more B&C and P&Y deer every year being taken. Yet, nobody seems to be happy. They want more and more and more.

I know of lifelong friendships destroyed over someone killing someone elses deer.

When did a deer become the property of a particular hunter?

I must have not gotten the memo on that one.

Grown men who act like teenage girls going out on a big date. They have to have matching camo everything.

Camo socks, camo boots, camo underwear. If they can't get it they pout and sulk until they can find it.

They get a Lincoln Navigator all tricked out, but refuse to drive down a dirt road. Yet from the first day they bought it all they can do is talk about what an off road monster it is.

Geez! Get a life you loser!

And DON'T get me started on the "Rainmen" who have to show up carrying Tactical Sniper Rifles!!! These Pantywaists should be hung-drawn and quarterd, but I bite my tongue and say "whatever floats your boat" I do my part and support others even if I don't follow their style of hunting.

I'm not going to get on the ban the hunting preserve bandwagon though Tnutz, since I'm convinced if we close them down we're only signing our own death warrants, because first it'll be big game preserves, then it will be bird hunting preserves and then it will end up with public and private land to hunt on in the end.

I believe like most of us here that we ARE the party of the big tent. We HAVE to support all hunting, or we will only be the instruments of our own demise.

I just wish we had more Sportsmen rather than hunters. Anybody can hunt. Anybody can pull a trigger or let go of a bow string. But it takes a sportsman to know that it's not about the size of the rack or the cost of the gun. It's your heart and your soul and the love of the outdoors and those things in it that make us the GOOD guys we are.

Sportsmen know that. And always have.

I couldn't have put it any better my brother of the woodline O0 O0 O0 O0

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »
You know Bo, up there where you hunt might be different than down here in SO GA. I moved here in 92 and for 10 years I looked for somewhere I could hunt. Everywhere I looked the land was " Leased Out". Mostly by out of state hunters who are willing to pay $ 8-$12 per ac. to the land owners for the right to hunt. If you don't have $ 1200.00 for a 100 ac. farm then you don't get to hunt. The mind set of Hunters, Land Owners and DNR folks that I have talked to is that it is all about what you are willing to pay. I have been blessed that for the last 6 years, I have had a place to hunt where I don't have to take $1200 out of my family budget to go and do things in the woods that as a kid I grew up enjoying. Right now I know of several " Clubs" that are over run with deer but they will not allow gun hunters in and the rules for the Club are so strict that even if I hunted with a bow, I could not take what the laws in Georgia would allow. In My opinion, the hunting shows that are played all day,everyday, have changed the mindset of a LOT of hunters. I know guys that hunt that I would never hunt with just because they look down at me like I did something wrong if I shoot a Doe or if I kill a Buck and his rack is not 120" or more, then I wasted a deer. They do not understand that to me it is NOT what I take. To me I am excited about taking a Doe as I would be if I killed a 200'' Buck! They are all walking hamburger to me. It is all about the hunt!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:57:37 PM by J-BUCKS »

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
That's my point Hoss, things have changed and not for the better. Prices on land/clubs are through the roof. And that along with other reason's have put people off from hunting.

Just as I said as, it's all about the killing and not about the enjoyment of being outdoors. That's why there's been a 20% decline in license sales over the past few years.

It's especially true the closer you get to Florida. Having lived and hunted in Florida I know only too well how expensive land is to lease down there. What's happened is that people from Florida are coming to Georgia and paying landowners MORE money for the same amount of land that resident's have been paying for years.

I hear landowners saying the reason they do it is because Florida hunters respect the land more. Bullsh**!!! They pay them more money, and it's as simple as that.

I thought you were a Georgia native like me. So I should tell you that Georgia has ALWAYS been a lease/club state. Going back to way before my time.

We've always payed to hunt if we didn't have family land to hunt on. Despite having some good public land in the state, we by and large stick to private.

But, these folks coming and over bidding might be coming back to bite some of them in the a**. I hunt these days more in the middle part of the state but have hunted alot in South Georgia. I've killed deer in Jeff Davis, Lowndes, Turner, Ben Hill, Tift, Sumter, Worth, Long and Mcintosh counties, so I know that part of the state pretty well.

Those landowners who were so ga-ga over the Florida guys coming in are hurting more lately because of the economy.

The only solution will be to lease to us resident's.

As to the buttplugs who are so big on killing a huge deer, and treat others like subhuman trolls if they disagree, well, that's a topic I've ranted on here about since I first got here.

They are without a doubt the biggest problem we face today. Their arrogance is only surpassed by their stupidity and lack of intellect. That's a big reason I'm a Gut Piler and don't belong to that "other" board that is here in Georgia. Those scumbags are no better than the people I arrest and sometimes worse.

All we can do is hang tough and know that we are in the right and we must speak up when we see these idiots and don't let them shout you down. We're the one's who are right and hopefully we'll be able to come out on top before they destroy hunting all together.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 08:40:58 AM »
yes, lease hunting is here to stay, and not for the better, in most cases.  :tickedoff
I'm pretty lucky, I guess. I have plenty of private ground to hunt, more places than I have even hunted or checked out yet.

Overall, I have also lost some great hunting places over the years because of the usual reasons we all suffer.  :sad:

Offline johnnie5

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »
can we just all getalong we dont need to fight among ourselfs we as hunters have enough problems with peta and the goverment ass"s it shouldn"t matter what weapon you use as long as you do it legal.

Facebook Comments