December 12, 2017, 01:24:16 AM

Author Topic: Bluegrass Army Depot Hunts  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Bluegrass Army Depot Hunts
« on: July 13, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »
Below is a link to the application to apply for a chance to hunt the Bluegrass Army Depot, just outside of Richmond, KY.

BGAD Hunt

One down side to it is that if you're selected there's about a $50-60 fee that has to be paid.  Not to mention, a hunting license and deer tags are required.  If you're out of state, that can run into some money.

One other down side is that this is a 1 morning hunt, and no preseason scouting is allowed.  It's also pretty tough to get drawn, but well worth it if you do. O0

On the positive side though, BGAD has some MONSTER bucks on it! :shock:  I graduated from Eastern KY University, which is there in Richmond.  I worked the check station during the hunts for several years weighing and aging the deer.  Some of the biggest deer I've ever seen in my life were brought into that check station.  I've also hunted it a couple of times and saw some dandies, but couldn't get a shot at them.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Bluegrass Army Depot Hunts
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:53:46 PM »
I hate to admit this but, I did very little hunting when I was stationed at Ft Campbell and Ft. Knox. I spent so much time in the field that the LAST thing I wanted to do when I was off was to go back INTO the field.

But you're right about big deer. They took some monsters out of both those posts back in the early-mid 80's, when I was there and I'm sure they still do.

The sportsmans club at Ft Cambell had some deer mounted there that looked like elk!!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:51:28 AM »
I've not hunted Ft. Campbell, but I have Knox & BGAD.  Knox has some really good deer on it.  The bad thing is that it's so open and not controlled as much as some other places.

BGAD on the other hand, with the chemical weapons still being stored there, they don't play around. :shock:  One morning that I was there hunting, the guide was telling me where to go and such.  He told me, "See that lit-up area over there?  That's where the chemical weapons are.  Don't go anywhere near it because they will shoot you on sight!"  Considering that I was bowhunting and value my life, I stayed in the woods where I was supposed to. ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »
Yep, chemical weapons are not something you want to mess with. Back in the day, the Army's Chemical Weapons School was at Ft. McClellan, Alabama. I was stationed there when I was waiting to be seperated and return to civilian life. Some of the buildings there had HIGHER security ratings than the nuclear missle silos did!

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
I bet that is good hunting there. It is good hunting where I work and the hunting is tightly controlled. I no longer hunt where I work because the CO hasn't OKed another rimfire small game season. We just got a brand new CO, so perhaps he will loosen up the regs.  :roll:

Ft. McCellan has also some hogs to hunt there, don't they?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
I don't really know if they have hog hunts or not. I would guess that Alabama has the same problem Georgia does.

If I remember correctly back in the day they only allowed bow hunting on post (it was not a very big post as Army instillations go) and if that's still the case they probably have some big hogs and deer there. That area of Alabama was a big turkey area. (Still is as far as I know)

I would hope they'd zap as many pigs as possible to keep them from eatting all the turkey's eggs.

Facebook Comments