November 20, 2017, 11:22:45 PM

Author Topic: Federal CCDW reciprocity law sought  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Federal CCDW reciprocity law sought
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »
All-states weapons permit sought

Reciprocity Proposal would require them to honor any state's license.

By Robert Gehrke
The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 07/17/2009 05:47:06 PM MDT

A U.S. senator is pushing for a law that would let concealed-weapons-permit holders carry their guns in nearly every state, but gun-control advocates are blasting the idea.

One Utah supporter likes the idea, but concedes it is likely doomed.

Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., is proposing an amendment to a major defense bill that would require any state that issues concealed-weapons permits to honor those from any other state.

Currently, 48 states permit concealed weapons; Wisconsin and Illinois are the only two that do not. Thirty-three states recognize Utah's concealed-weapons permit.

"I believe that a state's border should not be a limit on this fundamental right," Thune said, "and that law-abiding individuals should be guaranteed their Second Amendment rights without complication as they travel throughout the 48 states that currently permit some form of conceal and carry."

But a handful of gun-control groups -- the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, Freedom States Alliance, Legal Community Against Violence, States United to Prevent Gun Violence, and Violence Policy Center -- issued a joint statement criticizing Thune's amendment, saying it would undermine state laws and result in more guns on the street.

"Concealed carry laws do not, as their proponents argue, aid police and enhance public safety. Instead, they threaten law enforcement and arm criminals," the statement said. "States shouldbe acting to repeal these laws instead of Congress moving to expand their deadly reach."

The groups argued that several states have minimal requirements to get a permit, and studies have shown loopholes in other states that have granted permits to felons or others who shouldn't have had one. If Thune's proposal is adopted, the groups argue, those flawed systems essentially would become the national standard.

Clark Aposhian, chairman of the Utah Shooting Sports Council, said the Beehive State's permit is the "de facto national permit right now," and its background-check system is swamped with out-of-state applicants. While 33 states recognize Utah's permits, Thune's amendment would require 15 others to follow suit -- a positive move, Aposhian said.

"A driver's license is accepted [in other states]. All these other types of professional licenses that are not protected by the Second Amendment, which are not fundamental rights," are accepted, he added. "Why shouldn't the right of lawful self defense continue across the states' borders?"

Thune's amendment likely will be debated when the Senate reconvenes next week, but Aposhian said similar efforts have failed in the past and, given the new Democratic dominance in Congress, this one also is likely to fizzle.

Thune is also sponsoring a separate bill to accomplish the same goal, a measure that is co-sponsored by Utah Republican Sens. Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett.

There is a House version, but none of Utah's three representatives are co-sponsors. All three back a proposal that would create a national concealed-weapons permit with uniform standards.

gehrke@sltrib.com

Courtesy of The Salt Lake Tribune
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
Re: Federal CCDW reciprocity law sought
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »
This would be fantastic. And once again, the "open-minded" libs say something truly stupid...

But a handful of gun-control groups -- the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, Freedom States Alliance, Legal Community Against Violence, States United to Prevent Gun Violence, and Violence Policy Center -- issued a joint statement criticizing Thune's amendment, saying it would undermine state laws and result in more guns on the street.

"Concealed carry laws do not, as their proponents argue, aid police and enhance public safety. Instead, they threaten law enforcement and arm criminals," the statement said. "States shouldbe acting to repeal these laws instead of Congress moving to expand their deadly reach."

Apparently a bunch of us are instant criminals, according to these "enlightened" people. They're enlightened alright. They're so open-minded that their brains fell out and it lightened them up a little... but just a little. :roll: :knuppel2

Retards...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:26:57 PM by Ks_Sniper »
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »
Threaten law enforcement???

I didn't get that memo.

How come they didn't come ask me about it?

I've never been polled by these folks.... Maybe I'm not worthy? :roll: :roll:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »
I've never been polled by these folks.... Maybe I'm not worthy? :roll: :roll:

They're probably skeered of you........... big, strong man with a gun. :shock:  RUN! RUN!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, as I was reading that before I posted it, I thought............... well, I'm not going to say what I thought.  :wink:  But it wasn't pretty! ;D

No offense to cops anywhere, but when seconds count, the police are just minutes away. :wink: ;D  Besides, when did it become someone elses job to make sure that YOU are safe??  ???  I don't know about you folks, but I look out and take care of myself. O0  And I pitty the poor, stupid S.O.B. that tries to hurt either me or my family. :knuppel2

I wonder what it is going to take to get it through these people's thick heads that the law abiding people with guns are not the ones that they have to worry about?  :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »
The whole purpose of the 2nd Amendment is for US to protect OURSELVES. It ain't got nothin' to do with hunting, target shooting or collecting.

That's what scares these idiots. They don't want the average American to defend his house and family. They want it all to be done by the government. Even if the government can't do it.

They want all of us to live by their way of life, not by ours or by the way the framers of the Constitution intended.

They even admit that they can't guarantee our safety, but it's such a small price to pay to be ALLOWED to live in their idea of a perfect world.

That's their idea. Not ours!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:48:57 PM »
Loopholes ?? Maybe, but I think they are running a bit behind the times. A few months ago I did some checking on CCW recip... whatever you call it. Seemed most states honor  all out of state permits with only a few exceptions. How the reason I was checking was because when Missouri first allowed CCW only a few states would honor it, due to some loopholes in the process. It stated that if when doing the background check a disqualifing result was not found within 30 days the permit must be issued. alot was being done manually back then and if the results came back bad in 31 days you got an unqualified permit out there. I can understand other states taking exception to that. But now that they have the instant background check, The loophole is closed and these other states are very accepting of Missouris permits. This may be the case with the few holdouts in other states, they may have just not gotten around to up dateing their standards. At any rate that was the only loophole I can think of that the anti's are referring to and it don't exist anymore.
 Yes the anti's are correct this would put more guns on the streets, but what they don't want to admit is the guns will be in the "RIGHT" hands. NO offense to the members of our law enforcement community, but cops don't stop crime, they investigate it and if there is sufficient evidence, they solve and prosecute the offenders. It's the very best we can humanly expect of them and for the most part they do it well. The only way I see to stop crime is oddly enough not to be a victim. That means be aware of your surroundings and be prepared. if that means CCW, so be it. Better tried by 12 than carried by 6.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:59:15 PM »
p
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:19:43 AM by ray40cal »
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:36:54 AM »
A national permit would be great!
Illinois never did recognize my CCW permit. I had to leave my pistol at home while working in Illinois during my part time licensed PI work.  >:( :tickedoff
But with my regular job, there are no boundaries while I am on duty, even on airport runways or traveling in other states.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:26 PM »
I think the hold out on some states not recognizing others is the certification itself.  Some states issue the certificate to anyone that wants one, as long as they don't have a record.  No class, no shooting, nothing.  Some states that require classes and shooting don't care for this. :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »
That's been the holdup with some states in regard to Utah's CCW. We have a class to take but there's no shooting done. I wish there were, but that's just how it is.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Facebook Comments