November 22, 2017, 12:27:52 AM

Author Topic: Calling for coyotes,..missing with the 45/70  (Read 1998 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Calling for coyotes,..missing with the 45/70
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:03:55 PM »
 :buck2
My Boy and I did some calling today; Good day for calling bad day for shooting.We saw 8 coyotes,6 of them we called. I missed a broadside shot an a big male( one of two that came in ) at 312 yards,laid a 300 slug right between his legs,made him jump 3 feet in the air.Called two that gave us the slip???I missed again at 182 yards a pup looking straight at me,he Ran off then came back and we didn't get a shot. My boy hit his Pup in distress call and had MOM in on us in seconds!!! She came running down a ridge and to within 10 yards! I couldn't get the scope on her and my boy had his shot gun unloaded,he slammed in a shell and fires from the hip,CLOSE but no hit, I tried a disappearing over a ridge shot and didn't connect.We where done for the day, :nah:  I did shoot hie new 375 WOW!

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Calling for coyotes,..missing with the 45/70
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:20:02 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a heck of a time D.  There wouldn't have been any Looney Toones music playing anywhere in the background was there? ;D :D  Sounds like you may have to hang up the 45/70 and get out a .22/250. :twisted:  That will make them have a bad day. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

BBF

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
A 45 caliber anything wouldn't be my choice for varmints either.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
Yeah, the .22-250 may be a more efficient round for varmints, but his name is D45/70. It's just who he is. ;D

Sure is some pretty country you got there. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
 :buck2
 YUP!! 45 or nothing!!!
 This time of year there just like shooting any other pest,Shoot'em and leave"m. So who cares how "Dead" they are!!When we keep them for the fur I use my 223 or 243,or my 870 12 gage. :knuppel2
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »
Mmm look at that scenery!
That's awesome. 8)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
Mmm look at that scenery!
That's awesome. 8)

What'chu got up there in MI?  Rusting factories, polution, and trash all over the place. ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a heck of a time D.  There wouldn't have been any Looney Toones music playing anywhere in the background was there? ;D :D  Sounds like you may have to hang up the 45/70 and get out a .22/250. :twisted:  That will make them have a bad day. O0
  O0 Yep!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »
What'chu got up there in MI?  Rusting factories, polution, and trash all over the place. ;D
Hahaa yea pretty much.

Awksully, I gotta say that MI has to be one of the most beautiful states when you start heading up north. ♥
I just don't have any of the neat cliffs and such in my immediate area. O0

BBF

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »
I can see some use for a Quad up there. :)

Facebook Comments