October 22, 2017, 11:25:42 AM

Author Topic: Finally got my STRANGS!!!  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Finally got my STRANGS!!!
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »
No, they're not 'strings' in KY, they're 'strangs'! O0  Took a little over 2 weeks for my custom strings to come in for the Excalibur Equinox from 'Up Nort'.  Got the yellow/red one waxed up and stretching on the bow now. O0

Can't wait to get out and try the thing tomorrow to see what kind of difference it's going to make.

Now I just need 2 more packages of broadheads and 6 more 150 gr. field tips and I'll be set for the season. O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Re: Finally got my STRANGS!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »
Dang, I misread the topic. Those weren't the pictures I was expecting :'(
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
Dang, I misread the topic. Those weren't the pictures I was expecting :'(
Maybe you thought thongs, like BC's better half usually buys for him?  :wink: :roll: ;D

BC, you getting the other stuff soon? It looks like it's going to be an absolutely deadly combo.  :twisted: O0 What are you going to cook first, butterflyed backstraps?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »
 On the index page it cut the last off abit. I thought maybe BC said he was getting some "Strange". Not something a married man wants to put up for public few if he wants to stay that way.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »
I kidd the wife every now and then and tell her that I'm going to go out and get some Strange. O0  She doesn't know what I'm talking about, so it kind of loses it's effect.....  :roll:

I put the string on there last night and put it 3 string widths above the upper brace height mark, like the instructions said.  It's only stretched down to about 1 1/2 widths above the mark.  That in itself is pretty amazing considering that I usually have to add a twist or two to the Excalibur Flemish Fast Flight string every week or so from where it's stretching.

One guy on the Excalibur site said that he's yet to wear one of this guy's strings out, and he's been shooting the thing for almost 4 years! :shock:  They were expensive, but it looks like they're going to be worth it. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »
On the index page it cut the last off abit. I thought maybe BC said he was getting some "Strange". Not something a married man wants to put up for public few if he wants to stay that way.
;D Yeah, I read it the same way. I got a little excited when I clicked on it, and saw pictures loading up O0. But, alas, BC pulls the old bait-and-switch :'(
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:34:56 PM »
;D Yeah, I read it the same way. I got a little excited when I clicked on it, and saw pictures loading up O0. But, alas, BC pulls the old bait-and-switch :'(

Sorry to disappoint fellers. ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »
Well, the new string slowed it down a little, but it did quieten it down quite a bit more. O0  It was shooting right at 350 f.p.s. and the scope was set for that.  Took it out yesterday afternoon and was shooting at 30 yds.  The arrows were hitting about 3" low and a little to the right.  I'll have to try to get out this afternoon and reset the scope.  After I get it set, I'll know a little better how much it slowed the thing down.

I've still got to adjust the brace height a little more also.  I took it down to where the string was just above the upper limit.  Shot about 12-16 arrows last night and it had dropped down to where it was right on the line, if not just a hair below.  According to what I've found out about the Excalibur bows, you want the string about 1/8" below the upper mark.  With shooting, it will settle down into the "sweet spot". O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
That has to be a really accurate killer, it being fully adjustable.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 08:02:52 PM »
That has to be a really accurate killer, it being fully adjustable.  O0

Excalibur crossbows are known for this...............

This is why you never shoot at a spot that already has an arrow in it.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments