November 17, 2017, 09:30:32 PM

Author Topic: Two birds in the hand  (Read 1403 times)

Offline DarkAngel

• Applied for my club membership...
  • It's can't get much better then this!
Two birds in the hand
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:28:54 PM »
I was sitting under a maple tree in Vermont watching my decoys and giving my best come here big boy calls, when I heard some clucking. Ahhhh from behind me :shock:

I moved my eyes to my right and watched as four Jakes and six hens broke through the brush.  They were so close I could of grabbed one by the leg.  I sat stiller the still.  My eye had to blink and that small movement was caught by one of the hens.  She started giving the dreaded warning putt and exited stage right taking a few of the hens with her. 

The Jakes ignored her warning for the most part but I could tell they were nerved up.  They looked at my set up then back to were the hen's had run.  I knew I had to act quick so I swung my shot gun up and blasted the nearest Jake.  All the birds scattered but the one I shot, he was flopping on the ground.  I was amazed to see one of the other Jakes still standing next to the downed Jake, watching it flop about.

Now this one I've had to explain every time I tell this story.  Yes, I had a pump shot gun, NO I did not have more then ONE shell in it.  Why?  I always figured One shot One Kill. 

But I did have an extra shell in my pants pocket, I slowly reached into my pocket, took out the new shell, ejected the old shell, put in the new shell and swung my gun up for the second time that morning and connected on my second bird all in less then two minutes.

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Two birds in the hand
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:52:15 AM »
Way to go DA! I likes me some doubles! O0 O0 O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
Awesome, DA!  O0 DA has nerves of steel and is a deadeye shot!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:58:14 PM »
I have always wanted to get a double like that, and I've had opportunities to, but in KY you're only allowed 1 bird/day. >:(  The spring limit is 2 birds, but you can't take them both the same day.

Can someone explain the reasoning for that to me? ???

Anyway, congrats on the birds Dark Angel. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:02:10 AM »
I've always wondered why folks aren't allowed take both birds on the same day, too.  :-\
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline DarkAngel

• Applied for my club membership...
  • It's can't get much better then this!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »
Hmmm, you can take them 2 a day in Vermont but you can only hunt till noon......so you got to be quick!! :knuppel2

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »
I have always wanted to get a double like that, and I've had opportunities to, but in KY you're only allowed 1 bird/day. >:(  The spring limit is 2 birds, but you can't take them both the same day.

Can someone explain the reasoning for that to me? ???

Anyway, congrats on the birds Dark Angel. O0
Same here in Mo. But you can only take one in the first week and the other the next two weeks! Guessen the big wigs need something to regulate here. lol Okla. was like that up til a couple years back too. But now you can get all three in one day just have to watch what the county limit is though. They have one and two bird counties so its possible.
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 07:32:29 PM »
Great!! O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 03:13:31 PM »
nice up her in ohio you can only shoot 1 this year. :'(
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Facebook Comments