November 17, 2017, 12:15:47 PM

Author Topic: Fall Turkey Season!?!  (Read 2472 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Fall Turkey Season!?!
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »
Okay I am really pissed off right now.

I didn't know there were two seasons for turkey and I missed the application date! :tickedoff

Unless I am understanding this wrong...MI Turkey Seasons.

Why haven't I heard any of you talk about this, or is it just a MI thing?
Do you think I could still get an application in even though I'm 8 days past the cutoff?

:'( :'( :'(

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Fall Turkey Season!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:11:42 PM »
Must be a MI thing.  :roll:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »
KY has basically 3 fall seasons for turkeys.  One for archery and 2 for shotgun.  The fall archery turkey season runs concurrently with the deer season.  One of the shotgun seasons comes in during October and runs for 7-8 days.  The other comes in during December and runs 7-8 days.  I think there's a 4 bird limit, I think??  2 with archery/crossbow and 2 with shotgun.  Either sex on all 4 birds. O0

The reason you haven't heard us talk about it is with it running during deer seasons, most people don't really specifically turkey hunt.  They're more of an opportunist thing. :wink:  When I used to bowhunt, I always carried a diaphram call with me in case I saw any turkeys.  Saw several, but never got a shot. >:(

Dude, there's a master list of all of that stuff on MI's site. :roll:  Get a calendar and mark the dates down on it. :wink:  Ahead of time preferably. ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
Okay I am really pissed off right now.

I didn't know there were two seasons for turkey and I missed the application date! :tickedoff

Unless I am understanding this wrong...MI Turkey Seasons.

Why haven't I heard any of you talk about this, or is it just a MI thing?
Do you think I could still get an application in even though I'm 8 days past the cutoff?

:'( :'( :'(

Gude, least you get a fall season. In my part of Mo. there isnt one. Got to travel 100 miles northeast to hunt em. And they changed the deer regs again too!!!
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
Gude, least you get a fall season. In my part of Mo. there isnt one. Got to travel 100 miles northeast to hunt em. And they changed the deer regs again too!!!

You want some cheese with that whine?  :'(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline DarkAngel

• Applied for my club membership...
  • It's can't get much better then this!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:50:50 PM »
Hope you picked up the phone and talked to the F&G peoples about it  :shock:

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:16:18 AM »
You want some cheese with that whine?  :'(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I got your cheese!  ;D :shock: ;D :shock: ;D
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 08:45:56 AM »
Dude, there's a master list of all of that stuff on MI's site. :roll:  Get a calendar and mark the dates down on it. :wink:  Ahead of time preferably. ;D
Meh...sounds like too much work.

*insert unemployment joke here*

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »
Meh...sounds like too much work.

*insert unemployment joke here*

You were one of the people at Obama's Inaguration, weren't you? ???

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:31:29 PM »
Georgia stopped it's fall turkey season back in the mid 70's. There's been some talk about bringing it back, but it seems most of the hunters prefer a spring season and oppose a fall hunt.

Like Big58 says, during the fall season most birds are incidental contacts who wind up getting zapped by deer hunters.

I've been on one fall turkey hunt and that was  over 20 years ago in Arkansas. The man I was hunting with managed to scare some birds off a roost early in the morning before first light and then called to see if he could get them to come in. It worked but it's hard to concentrate on turkey when they're big deer out there to hunt! :wink: :wink:

I think one of the reasons it's not looked on with much enthusiasm here is that most states with fall hunts allow both hens and gobblers to be taken. Some turkey addict also also told me the spring hunts required more skill and you got to use a greater number of call variations.

I will say this though, the birds have made a big come back. In the late 70's only about a third of Georgia's counties had a turkey season, now all 158 counties allow spring turkey hunting.

I actually got a call one morning right before getting off duty of a Tom, strutting around in a parking lot in shopping center. It was in a very built up area with all kinds of traffic. I got there and sure as the devil, he was parading around in front of Kroger's. He flew off when I got out of my patrol car. I guess I should have taken my yelper and slate call with me! :roll: :wink: :idiot2

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments