December 15, 2017, 05:16:10 AM

Author Topic: A Word to the Wise  (Read 1540 times)

Offline tboxfish

A Word to the Wise
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »
About 10 years ago, I was out in the yard shooting my bow, Darton at that time, and my wife came out & announced that she wanted to shoot hers. It was about 2 weeks before season & nearing dark. I ran in the house & grabbed her Red Wing Hunter. What I did next is one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. I taught rifle range & archery & knew better, but being in a hurry I didn't give it much thought. I stuck the end of the lower limb under the arch of my right foot, had my right hand on the handle & pulling back towards me. Using my left hand I pushed the string up to the top of the upper limb. When I left go I immediately saw that only 1 side of the string had caught in the string groove. Just as soon as I saw this, I watched in what seemed like slow motion as the string slipped off & the top limb arched back & hit me directly in my left eye :idiot2  :uglystupid2  :idiot2  :uglystupid2 Now I've been hit by some big ol' boys in my younger days, but they didn't have anything on that Red Wing bow. I fell over on the bed & just layed there for a moment or 2. When I raised up & pulled my hands back, there was a large circle of blood - about the size of  the bottom of a 55 gal drum.
Now 2 surgries later, I'm legally blind in that eye - vision is distorted & has black spots floating around in it. They used 2 layers of kelvor to rebuild my eye orbit & I have a band around the eye which is holding the retina on.
SO remeber the next time you string a recurve, use a string sling & DON"T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE :tickedoff
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:46:57 PM by tboxfish »
"Attitudes are contagious - Is your's worth catching?"

Todd Box
www.texasdeercams.com
"Your closer to the Outdoors than you think"

Offline olsplittoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: A Word to the Wise
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »
Nicely said .........                         O0 O0                                                 
PSE-passthru shot evertime

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:12:49 AM »
Same type of deal put a nice hole in a guys head while I was shooting with him this summer. He's fine, but the blood all day left him a little humiliated. I've seen about 3 people get popped in the head while stringing recurved before.I agree, don't do it!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »
DANG, tbox!  :shock: :sad: That's a real bummer and I bet, a heck of a lot of pain!
When I was a kid I had an old 50# Ben Pearson wood longbow break right where my hand was while I was stringing it. The sudden break drove long splinters of wood clear through my hand. My right hand was impaled on the bow where the break was.
I had only one option, pull my hand loose. It healed up fine but was really sore for a while.
It happened in my folks kitchen one cold winter morning when I was about 14 years old. Home care all the way, and not even any infection.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
That's just cause viruses & infections hadn't been invented yet. ;D :evil:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
That's just cause viruses & infections hadn't been invented yet. ;D :evil:
  :tickedoff :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 ;D Yep, was a long time ago! A fella had to be careful of that T-rex flu going around, though. You can't imagine what it was like with those big critters running around home with the outhouse trots.  :shock: You think stepping in cow poo is something, you should have seen or stepped in that T-rex poo!  :shock: :-X :buck2  ;D
And then there is always someone that tracks it into the cave just after the woman cleans.  :tickedoff :knuppel2 :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
Another one to watch is weakened/under-spined arrows. If the tip is heavy enough and the sudden force behind the arrow enough to bend it to failure, you get an exploded mess of arrow shards flying in all directions of the riser. Nice little carbon shards all through your hand. :shock:

And my final other word of caution is: don't use wooden ram-rods with your black powder guns. My friend was ramming a ball home one day when the rod decided to snap just below his hand and run clean through it. I only use synthetics since that happened. Nice ABS plastic ones or very stout fiberglass(though I imagine that could break and be just as bad, it's a bit stronger and more consistent than wood)

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Great advice tboxfish. O0 O0 O0 O0

ALL of us no matter how experienced or mature can make a mistake. We've ALL done it. We're all just thankful that it was not a fatal injury.

BTW...

Following my run in with an IED in Afghanistan, I was placed in a coma for two weeks by the hospital.

When I came out of it, I also had the black spot in my right eye to contend with.

Looks likes it's there for the remainder of my life too, but it usually just pops up when I first wake up or after I've been reading or staring at  a computer screen for a long period without a rest.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline tboxfish

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:00:46 PM »
Great advice tboxfish. O0 O0 O0 O0

ALL of us no matter how experienced or mature can make a mistake. We've ALL done it. We're all just thankful that it was not a fatal injury.

BTW...

Following my run in with an IED in Afghanistan, I was placed in a coma for two weeks by the hospital.

When I came out of it, I also had the black spot in my right eye to contend with.

Looks likes it's there for the remainder of my life too, but it usually just pops up when I first wake up or after I've been reading or staring at  a computer screen for a long period without a rest.
Whew, sounds like a close call. Too many were not as lucky as you. You're right, stringing a bow in that matter is something most shooters have done. That's why I decided to share the story. In hopes that when someone picks up a bow, they'll get that mental image of the limb striking them in the eye & use a little caution.
"Attitudes are contagious - Is your's worth catching?"

Todd Box
www.texasdeercams.com
"Your closer to the Outdoors than you think"

BBF

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 11:52:49 PM »
That is a big price to pay. :shock:

Those little bungee type straps you get for holding things down with the two metal hooks on the ends.
One of those came off on me while strapping down a lunchbucket on a motorcyle seat many years ago. I got hit in the eye as well. I still got the eye, but it was close, way to close and it hurt. !!

Facebook Comments