November 20, 2017, 04:13:01 PM

Author Topic: Info needed  (Read 2404 times)

BBF

Info needed
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:26:07 PM »
Info needed from anybody in Florida or....... if you know
on a place called Pana Vista Lodge located on or near Lake Panasoffkee, FL

It advertises itslf as an Old Style Fish Camp.
Any info would be welcome.

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Info needed
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »
Sorry it took so long, but I just saw this today! :shock:

I graduated from college just South of lake Panasoffkee and fished it several times.

That's the good news. The bad news is....

I graduated from college in 1982 and haven't fished it since, so I can't comment on any fishing camps there. The lake is a littel over 4,000 acres and is a natural lake, fed by the Florida aquafer. It was and as far as I know still is a good bream and shellcracker lake.

I never had much luck with bass, but tore up the panfish. Worms, crickets and catalpa worms (if you can find them) and shrimp were killers on the bream and shellcrackers.

The lake is shallow too. If memory serves it was less than 5 feet at it's deepest. If I'm not mistaken there's also a wildlife management area nearby. I never hunted it but I THINK it was called the Panasoffkee WMA, but don't quote me on that.

That part of Florida (Sumter county) has quite a few lakes and in turn has quite few fish camps in the area and would guess they'd all be about the same with some offering kitchens and housekeeping plans.

I-75 actually crosses over part of the lake as you go North or South. It's in a good area of hunting and fishing. I killed my first Osceola turkey just South of there in Hernando county. But leases/clubs were expensive back then, so I must assume they still are.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

BBF

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
Thanks Bo:
I think we will stick with our first selection on Lake Rousseau( Crystal River) for a starter and then check out some others.

Next question.
We need to get a boat down there that can be handled( lifted) up on a truck cap( cab height) by this old Fart and his much younger but not stronger wife. I'm thinking no more then 150 LB preferable less if we wiggle it on with some intelligence.
Being that a lot of water there is skinny I am inclined towards a Jon boat. We have a 4 hp kicker and wouldn't mind getting an electric trolling motor as well.

A contact of mine that lives near Tampa advised me against a flat bottom boat but hasn't given me any reason for that for it so far.

I never had a Jon boat so Guys have at it.

Thanks

Fred

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
I fish the S___ out of my 12fter with a 7HP on it....I can carry it alone and drop it where ever I want to.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »
Better get the jonboat. Jonboats are the norm around here. We have lots of shallow water fishing and there is nothing better. I have a 16' with a 35HP Evenrude to push mine along on the rivers. 

I also have two trolling motors but don't use them unless I go to a lake.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
Thanks Guys:
I should be getting a quote from a place on a Alumacraft Jon boat. So far that is the only company I have found that makes a 12 footer that has the weight capacity I am looking for.

Techno"

That looks like a welded boat, is it?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:39:06 AM by BBF »

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »
It is welded. I paid $75 for it. I had my little brother, his GF, all the jugs and limb line gear with 6 poles and bait out on the lake a few times. I drop it in the river all the time.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »
When I was a kid, my dad had a 10' jonboat that weighed 90 pounds. We had that boat everywhere, rivers, lakes, etc. Ol' Dad and 3 kids most of the time in the boat didn't leave much room but it worked just fine.

On one dark night while fishing a deep hole on the Mississippi River while camping, our old Coleman gasoline latern started hissing and spouting fire.  :shock: Dad grabbed the latern and sailed it as far as he could. The latern exploded just before it hit the water.

We were stunned and shocked as we watched the gasoline burning on the water.

Luckily, we were just a few yards from the levee and close to camp. We made our way back to shore and camp in the dark, still in shock from the close call. We were always sure to take along and wear our lifejackets in that small boat because Dad was the only one that could swim.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
OK, call me dumb. This Dealer in FL had his AlumaCraft boats on sale so we made the plunge and bought a boat unseen. :shock:
 A Money Order is on the way. He is willing to store the boat for us 'til mid Nov when we get there. Hopefully you all can keep the peace in your country. We decided to go for the 14 footer. It was 100 bucks more but only weighs an extra 10 lb. The 14 footer has a bit more beam as well and has 60 lb more capacity. The wife figured  we aren't going to get skinny, more like the opposite so lets go as big as we can handle The boat weighs 135 lb.

We couldn't afford a welded model so we will see how the rivets will hold up.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »
Those Alumacraft riveted boats are not bad. I know a few people with them and thy hold up pretty good. You can also get on of theese to makee hualing th boat by hand alot easier

Or you can build one yourself. I know once my body slows down I am gonna need to get one or build one.

Facebook Comments