November 19, 2017, 12:52:55 PM

Author Topic: Mushroom Hunting  (Read 7977 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Mushroom Hunting
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »
I pick morel mushrooms in the spring and skip the rest because of too many look alike deadly mushrooms.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 10:28:19 AM »
I pick morel mushrooms in the spring and skip the rest because of too many look alike deadly mushrooms.

Yeah, sure......... :wink:  We all know that all you Indians can't do without your Peyote. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »
LoL  Yea I don't think I would ever eat one unless it's one of the obvious ones...Puffball, Chicken of the Woods, Morel or Shaggy Mane.

But it's still kinda fun hunting and trying to identify them...or is it just me? :-\

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »
But it's still kinda fun hunting and trying to identify them...or is it just me? :-\

I like to spend my time "hunting" getting something with a little more protein in it, such as squirrels or deer. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »
I like to spend my time "hunting" getting something with a little more protein in it, such as squirrels or deer. O0
I gots no season right now!  I did mention that I was looking for ground hog and came across these, however.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »
If they are found in cow poop....wash them and eat as many as you can handle. Then go hunting  ;D ;D ;D

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »
If they are found in cow poop....wash them and eat as many as you can handle. Then go hunting  ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D Yea okay sounds like fun!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
Until I got to really know you KY folks better, I thought all you chased were possums, skunks, and coon because they always showed you folks on TV wearing skunk, possum, anf coon caps.  :wink: ;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

One of my brothers hunts all kinds of edible mushrooms and has books on them. Me, I plan on living a lot longer. And that plan excludeds suspicious looking mushrooms in my diet.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »
I went out today searching for someplace to do some hunting this fall and came across a really cool fungus, which at the time I didn't know what it was.

I identified it when I got home and found out that it's Ganoderma Applanatum or more commonly known as an "Artist's Bracket."
It is aptly named so because the white underside can be etched away to create brown lines and shading:

There were probably about 50 of these things growing all over, all about the same size (9" diameter) so I'm considering going back and grabbing a few of them and doing some sketches. 8)

I also found a few baby Puffballs but didn't harvest them in hopes that they might grow big and mighty soon. :)

I found a Little Critter Skull too but I'm not really sure what it was...a baby beaver perhaps?  Interestingly, there was a Red Tailed Hawk feather on the ground just beside it so I think that might have had something to do with it's demise. O0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:57:38 PM by nOnAmE »

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
Skull doesn't look like a beaver.  It's too small.  Maybe either a squirrel or a muskrat.  Was there any water around where the skull was?

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments