November 25, 2017, 06:30:17 AM

Author Topic: Mushroom Hunting  (Read 8004 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Re: Mushroom Hunting
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »
Skull doesn't look like a beaver.  It's too small.  Maybe either a squirrel or a muskrat.  Was there any water around where the skull was?
Oh yea I just Google Imaged squirrel skulls and it does look like one.  I didn't see any water nearby...I was in a pine forest, but I suppose there could have been.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 07:22:20 AM »
Again, not that anyone cares (except maybe MO) but I randomly found a sweet jackpot today at one of the parks near my home...

Laetiporus Cincinnatus/Sulphureus, aka Chicken of the Woods/Sulfur Shelf:

These are prized edible mushrooms that are a delicacy in some countries.  They get their common name due to the fact that they have the taste and consistency of chicken.  I sauteed one last night and it was extremely good.
I think I'm gonna make me up an omelet this morning and then I'm not really sure what to do with the other 3lbs. lol
I actually found another one that was not quite as big as the one above, maybe three quarters of the size, but some dude pulled up right behind me and was all bummed out because he had went there specifically to look for these, so I gave him mine. :)

And I also found some Coprinus Comatus, aka Shaggy Mane/Ink Cap:

They are supposed to be excellent as well but I've never tried one before.
I thought that there wasn't supposed to be a false version of this but apparently there is.  So I'm not sure about eating it now.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 08:57:47 AM »
Pretty cool finds. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 09:07:14 AM »
I wouldn't eat any of those that resemble deadly ones. You may only get it wrong one time and that's all it takes.  :shock: :buck2 I understand it's a hard way to die, poison mushrooms.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 05:20:46 AM »
Did any of em bruise blue?  ;D

[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »
Maybe he ate some of those bad ones, seeing as how he hasn't been around here lately.  :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 04:45:20 PM »
Maybe he ate some of those bad ones, seeing as how he hasn't been around here lately.  :shock:
I'm posting from beyond the grave right now. 8)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »
I'm posting from beyond the grave right now. 8)

Nah, I think you're in the spirit world. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 09:47:13 PM »
 A tip I picked up from an Air Force Survival manual, Don't gorge yourself on forage your not extremely familar with. Sample a small amount and wait 24 hrs. If no ill effects you may sample slightly larger amounts. Continue this way until you can determine that it is safe for you.
 Many of them mushrooms only have ill effects to certain people. Sometimes deadly. Kinda like some people are immune to Poison Ivy.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 07:14:51 AM »
Nah, I think you're in the spirit world. O0
  :shock: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Been into some of those "special" mushrooms, huh?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I remember one time when we were camped by the river for about 6 weeks or so. Dad had us collect some type of new to us riverbank root bulbs and he cooked them up. They resembled potatoes and tasted kind of funny. We all got sick for about 3 days.  :buck2  We laid around camp and felt like poisoned pups.

Facebook Comments