November 23, 2017, 04:11:33 AM

Author Topic: Mushroom Hunting  (Read 8002 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Re: Mushroom Hunting
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 10:28:28 AM »
I remember one time when we were camped by the river for about 6 weeks or so. Dad had us collect some type of new to us riverbank root bulbs and he cooked them up. They resembled potatoes and tasted kind of funny. We all got sick for about 3 days.  :buck2  We laid around camp and felt like poisoned pups.
;D Uh-oh...sounds like those tubers had a bit too much Solanine in them. :sad:

A tip I picked up from an Air Force Survival manual, Don't gorge yourself on forage your not extremely familar with. Sample a small amount and wait 24 hrs. If no ill effects you may sample slightly larger amounts. Continue this way until you can determine that it is safe for you.  Many of them mushrooms only have ill effects to certain people. Sometimes deadly. Kinda like some people are immune to Poison Ivy.
Yea I've read the same thing.  I'm a pretty adventurous eater but if I'm not 100% sure of the identification of the mushroom then I won't even try a bit of it and I won't even try to ID an Amanita or a Little Brown Mushroom with the thought of consumption in mind.

But you are right...some people can eat one mushroom that might make another person ill - like the False Morel.  Some edible mushrooms also can cause illness when mixed with alcohol.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »
Thanks for the info, nO! That sure sounds like a lot of the symptoms we had. It must be a slow acting poison.  :buck2
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
Mushroom poisoning is very real so be careful.

Any doubt throw it out

I grew some oyster and lions mane a couple years ago. Lions mane is really good steamed and dipped in butter.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:55:34 AM by ray40cal »
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »
I found 3 pounds of morels Friday afternoon and 4 pounds Saturday afternoon.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments