November 22, 2017, 07:40:34 AM

Author Topic: What's Your Most Memorable Hunting Experience?  (Read 5091 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
What's Your Most Memorable Hunting Experience?
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »
Alright, time to come clean.....

Of ALL your hunting experiences, which one stands out in your mind the most?

It can be a good or bad experience. It can be a happy or sad or funny one, but it must be the one that always comes to mind first and loudest when you think back on it.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: What's Your Most Memorable Hunting Experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:10:01 PM »
You first. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »
Well here's one. I shared a hunten spot with the owners son-in-law for a few years. I had been seeing a nice 8pt. everytime I was out there bow hunting. I told him where he was traviling for black powder season so he could take him. Season came and went and he had seen him one time too far to stoot. So next up was gun season. I told him he would have that opening weekend to get him. LOL He called me sunday night and said he got a glimpse of him twice. So I told him i was going out there after work monday evening. He said good luck. I said to myself its over for that buck. lol
 As I pulled up to the gate, I desided to walk on in stead of driven to my parking spot and sure enough I got bout 200 yards down the oil lease road, there he stood with his nose up a doe's butt. I had a 270 with a 3x9 on it. He was less than 30 yards from me. I couldnt get him in to focus so I put the crosshairs at the base of the white hair vee on his chest and cablammy. He flipped over backwards and stuck his rack in the ground with his legs curled up. I lowered the gun to watch him relax his legs and lay over to the side. You know that moment you get when its good! I was there. Got on the cell and  called the guy. lol he was pissed. But what was weird is the bullet went in his chest and exited out right behind his right front leg. Same size and same size out! As I dressed him out I noticed that I had not hit anything of a vital. no blood no broken bones nothing. Just a clean through shot. Im guessen he had a heart attack from the inpact of the shot. lol
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:06:08 AM »
My second one is a doe story. I was bow hunting a place just outside of town. I had went out early in the afternoon to move a stand. I parked at the barn and cominced to walk around to my stand when I jumped three bedded doe's. they ran out and made a loop like. and as they ran towards my truck the big doe was looking back at me and ran head on into a large cottonwood tree! Hit it so hard it broke her neck. I was shocked. And so was the game officers at the check station. They thought I was lieing. But after they examined her they relized I wasnt. She had broke it right at the base of her skull. And to this day was the largest doe I have got. She weighed in at 142lbs dressed!
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 01:09:58 AM »
Mine was last fall. Me and the kid( grandson ) went chicken hunting ( ruffed grouse ). He's seven years old now, but has moved 4 1/2 hours away from Pappa to the big lights of Calgary. We don't get to spend a whole bunch of time together during hunting season anymore what with his school schedule and my work schedule. Anyways we went out to our 1/4 section and he was plinking away with his 22. After he got tired with that, we went looking for some birds. We spotted a couple, but they flew away and he was getting antsy. We took a little trail, and low and behold there was a chicken standing in the middle of the line. He took a couple of pokes at it ( 50+ yards ), and then *poof*, feathers everywhere and the chicken was doing backflips all over the place. He give a war cry that ol' JA would be proud of, and took off running ( Gramps took the gun first ). Him and that chicken had a bit of a wrestling match to start with( for awhile I wasn't sure who was gonna win ), but Blair came back with his prize, and the joy on his face was worth a million bucks to this old rig hand. As long as I live, and longer, I will never forget the time I spend with my Grandson, and the love he has for all outdoors activities that we share together.
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
Great story Bare! O0

I've got a million memories of stuff.  Not as many as John mind you, but mine are real and not figments. :wink: ;D

Some of the best ones are with the boy.  Took him squirrel hunting for the first time last year.  As I was getting ready to shoot our 1 and only squirrel, I turn around and he's got a stick, "sword fighting" imaginary foes. ??? ;D  During the deer season, there's him snoring loud enough to scare the deer away. ;D  And then as we were walking out, going down a hill I grabbed a dead snag for support.  I felt it and knew it was dead, so I didn't put any weight on it.  Right after I passed it, I happened to think, "I hope Mason doesn't................" and that was all I was able to think.  I heard a snap and turned around to see him sliding head first down the hill through the leaves. ;D ;D ;D  Once I made sure he was OK, I couldn't get up for laughing so hard!

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
Back when I was a kid, good throwing skills was something to really look up to. I carried a couple of rabbits home I beaned with rocks. Those were proud trophies and great eating.

Soon to follow were rabbits taken by bow. What seemed huge to us at the time were domestic turkeys that escaped from a local turkey processing plant. The big birds escaped to a wooded ravine by the plant.

The word quickly spread around the neighborhood when a bird was spotted, and the chase was on! Kids of all colors were packed up and chasing the birds in the woods until my brother and I ended the chase with arrows.  :twisted:  :) 

And the slingshots, ......................................... !  :twisted: That went OK until I spotted a mortal enemy neighborhood kid that fell to a well aimed long shot at a running target, nailed him right in the head with a marble. That payback was for the time he siced his big dog on my brother and me.  :knuppel2

More to come later.

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D All of those are awesome.

Well mines not quite as good as yous guise but I will definitely never forget this...although I suppose technically it wasn't hunting.

I posted it in my very first post ever here so I think quoting it would be most expedient.
I went over to my cousins house a couple of months ago and kept talking about getting some squirrel to eat.  So we went into town to fill up his propane tank for the grill and on the way back to his house, coincidentally, we spot a squirrel chilling in the road.  So my cousin slams on the gas and totally owns that thing!  We were laughing so hard that we were crying!  We threw that thing on the hood of his car and took it back to his house, cleaned it up and I took it home and made a Cajun dish from a recipe that I found on the internet. It was super delicious!
That was the first animal that I've ever had part in killing, cleaning and cooking...And I was hooked after that. O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 08:43:25 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D All of those are awesome.

Well mines not quite as good as yous guise but I will definitely never forget this...although I suppose technically it wasn't hunting.

I posted it in my very first post ever here so I think quoting it would be most expedient.That was the first animal that I've ever had part in killing, cleaning and cooking...And I was hooked after that. O0
  ;D You fellas just used a big bullet of steel, glass, and plastic.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Bignasty

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »
well id have to say my most memorable hunt would be my first one.

I was about 10 and was scared to death of shooting my shotgun so i was out back with a pellet gun trying to shoot doves. after probly 20 pellets and not a single dove i got pissed went back to the house grabbed the shotgun and headed back with a pocket full of rounds and started blowin up birds. It was one of the best times iv had hunting.

Facebook Comments