November 21, 2017, 10:53:56 PM

Author Topic: What's Your Most Memorable Hunting Experience?  (Read 5089 times)

Offline born-to-hunt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
Re: What's Your Most Memorable Hunting Experience?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »
well my most memorable would have to be my first deer in 2008 it was the last day of gun season we made a drive in a 5 acre peice of woods in the middle of a field we seen a glimps of some deer in a distance running I got ready a little bit and a minute later 6 deer ran about a yard in front of me from the right to my left in a line I shot the first one I seen off the hip with my lil new england pardner 20 GA single shot it was a small half rack 3 point then the one after that was a great 9 point that someone else did get to shoot :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff I tried to reload with 4 does and that buck in kicking distance :shock: I was shaking so much I couldn't get the shell in to shoot again because I didn't even realise I shot the deer haha ;D but I missed when I reloaded and pulled up on a stupid doe and click! >:(
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
When I was a kid of about 13 years old, my one year younger brother Charlie and I had a few dollars saved up and got wind of a clearance sale of some Argentine 7.65 Mausers.  :shock: O0
So, with our hard earned cash, we trekked to the store and purchased the last two of their rifles for the huge sum of $16.50 per rifle. What little cash we had left, we bought some military ball ammo.

It was warpath day for the groundhogs and feral cats! We envisioned great carnage and scalp bounty riches for the groundhog scalps at our local courthouse.  :twisted: With such great forepower, nothing was impossible!

With the rifle on my shoulder and 3 shells remaining in my pocket, I decided to finish off what was left of a healthly population of groundhogs in a farmer's field that was 3 miles from home.
The farmer offered to pay my brother and me 25 cents for every groundhog we killed. We made a dent in his pocket and he had only 2 groundhogs left on his place, one in the center of his large hay field and another under his car garage next to his house.

The rifles shot high for us because of the military sights. It took all of my 3 remaining shells to drill the ghog right through the center of his head at the distance of about 200 yards.  :sad:

The last one was a smart old fat one that lived under the farmer's garage that I vowed to eliminate. Returning with some ammo, I informed the farmer and his wife where I would have to sit to nail the groundhog, right under their kitchen window.

The old farmer's wife was washing their breakfast dishes by the open window when my old Mauser belched flame and carnage. The bulllet smacked the groundhog in his brainpan and at the same time, the farmer's wife jumped  :shock: and yelled at the sudden very loud rifle report and sailed the dish she was washing, sailed it clear to their kitchen ceiling and bounced it the the floor, shattering the dish.

Of course, her husband instantly knew it was the finish of the old garden raiding groundhog and was roaring with laughter when I arrived to their back door with the dead grounhog. He handed a dollar bill to me and said to keep the change. He was so glad to finally have the pest eliminated and appreciated all the entertainment that early in the morning. His wife was glad the groundhog was finally dead but wasn't happy about the scare and the broken dish.  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »
that's funny john ;D
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:33 AM »
  ;D ;D ;D It was even funnier being there! I don't know who laughed more, me or the old farmer when I got to his back door. His wife was a real sweeheart but didn't join in on our humor. She was still trying to get her racing heartbeat to slow down and still had the broken dish to clean up.  ;D

She claimed the loud noise and muzzle blast rattled her open two side by side kitchen windows right over the kitchen sink.  :shock: ;D
I gladly took the dollar and hiked the 4 miles home. It was a 3 mile walk to their field and another mile to their house. It wasn't much pay for that much work, but it was sure worth it.  :)

Money was hard to come by in those days.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
That was good John! O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 09:40:07 AM »
Thanks!
Brother Charlie and I used to set up from sunup to sundown for a shot at a particular groundhog.

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »
wow you guys were determined to kill that groundhog huh O0 :knuppel2

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 10:33:09 PM »
I think God invented rabbits to teach young ones to hunt, like bugs were made to teach a kitten. Most people I talk to only speak of that "trophy buck", and their .22 lays unused in their closet. I hope I never get that way. A rabbit is not a trash animal. Oh well ,if they like those tough, gamy bucks over a nice juicy rabbit, I wont complain. More for me. :D Im sure glad deer season is over for that reason. John, you are the most interesting person I have ever talked to. I got to grow up in the city. :(
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »
Yep John is that old man on KungFu! We are all grasshoppers! O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 10:16:36 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Nowdays, I'm just an old Indian trying to stay under the radar.  ;D

One time when my brother and I were kids, we grabbed our old single shot 12GA shotguns and went hunting during a snow storm. Anything edible was our goal, especially rabbits.

We had walked about 8 or 9 miles and were plodding towards home in about  8 or 10 inches of fresh snow while it was snowing so hard we could hardly see more than a few yards.

We were pretty discouraged when suddenly we happened onto some fresh cat tracks. Tracking the cat, we followed the trail to a brushpile. 

I told Charlie to get ready, I would kick and stomp on the brushpile. Charlie was and is a very good shot. We always took turns kicking and stomping the brushpiles, perfect teamwork.

Out of the brushpile sailed a huge long haired feral cat and made a fast U turn, leaped onto the brushpile, and made another big leap right at Charlie's head! All Charlie had time to do was a hip shot at the cat as the cat was in midair, just a few feet from Charlie's face.

Charlie's lead load caught the cat full on, a direct hit that nearly cut the big cat in half.  :shock:

We stood there stunned,  :shock: :shock: :shock: not expecting the cat attack. It all happened within just a few seconds, almost a blur. When the realization set in, we were thankful for quick reflexes and glad the cat had not gotten hold of Charlie. I had time to shoot but couldn't without endangering my brother.

We trekked the last mile to home in a blizzard while talking about the crazy cat attack. We figured it was probably rabid. It was completely out of character for the cat to escape from the brushpile and turn to attack.  Also, maybe that big cat was king of that patch of brush and thought he was a lion.  ;D

Facebook Comments