December 14, 2017, 08:21:56 AM

Author Topic: Well Crap!  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Well Crap!
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:09:49 AM »
Got up yesterday morning and drove down to the farm to snipe some little fuzzy gray demons.  The boy had a friend coming over yesterday, so he stayed here. :'(  I hunted the same place that we had hit last Saturday.  I didn't see or hear any squirrels until about 8:30. >:(  Finally figured out that they were still down low by the fields instead of up near the ridges.  I saw 2 at the edge of the food plot.  Shot 1 and he dropped out, but never could get a shot at the other one.  I marked the tree he fell out of and started down the hill to find him.  I looked for that freaking squirrel for almost 20 minutes and never could find him. :tickedoff  I know I hit it in the head, so there's no way it crawled off anywhere.  Where it fell though it's thicker than the hair on a cat's back. >:(

Heard someone wearing them out with a shotgun while I was up there.  At first I thought they may have been on us, so I took off in that direction to "politely" ask them just WTF they thought they were doing. :roll:  As I got to within about 1/4 mile of them, I could tell they were on the guy next to us.

Then, after I came out of the woods, I was going to take the chain saw and cut the trees and stuff out of the roads and my 4 wheeler paths so I could get up in there and hang my camera.  First though, I went up to the cemetary to trim back the limbs away from my step-dad's grave.  While I was trimming that stuff, my chain saw started acting up and finally quit. >:(

Long story short, I didn't get any squirrels, couldn't find the one that I shot, and wasn't able to get my camera hung because I couldn't get the trees and stuff cut out of the way because my chain saw quit! :tickedoff  Yesterday was a crappy day!!!  :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Well Crap!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
Dang, BC!  :'( You had a granddaddy of a lousy day!
I too have connected with squirrel heads and not found the dropped squirrels.  :sad: They look dead coming out of the tree but just can't be found, at times. I have lost some that dropped into brushpiles and stuff so heavy they couldn't be found.

One time I searched for a good half hour for a big fox squirrel that I finally found floating with some leaves in a creek below the den tree I knocked him out of. He blended in with the dead leaves floating on the water. Not much of a floating dead squirrel shows at the surface.

Hopefully, today will be better for ya!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:41:22 PM »
BC don't feel bad!!

First, you got out to hunt!! O0

Second, you hunted!! O0

Third, you get to go again!! O0

Fourth, you'll get 'em later!! O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »
Yeah, I know..... :roll:  I shouldn't gripe, but gas is too expensive and my time is too short not to bring home some meat!

Dropped the chain saw off yesterday to get it fixed.  $30 service fee had to be pain then, so I'm already out that and they haven't touched the thing yet. >:(  Said it would be about 10 days until it's done, so it's looking like I won't get the camera hung this weekend either. :tickedoff

The ice storm we had last winter really took a toll on things down there.  Just to get the 4 wheeler up to the food plot over across the road, I've got 4 trees to cut out of the way.  Going up the hill and out the bench, it's hard to tell how many others are down.  And that's not counting the big limbs and stuff that I'll have to cut and move. :roll:  I haven't been back behind the house on the 100 acre piece to see what it's like back there, but it will probably be worse. >:(

The one good thing that did come out of this past weekend though is that I know where the squirrels are now. O0 :twisted:  If the things aren't up near the ridge, they're down near the bottom in the beech and pignut hickory. O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »
Squirrels are gonna DIE!  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments