October 17, 2017, 04:38:36 PM

Author Topic: You Picked Out What You'll Be Shooting Opening day?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
You Picked Out What You'll Be Shooting Opening day?
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:04:01 PM »
I've got my BLR-81 in 7mm-08 and my Ruger #1 light sporter in .243. Both with Leupold VX-II 2x-7x's on them.

I practice with both rifles and take both with me when I go just in case something happens to one. Gun season doesn't open until October but I need to get out to the range and get ready.

What y'all taking out on opening day?
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: You Picked Out What You'll Be Shooting Opening day?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:08:50 AM »
I haven't quite decided what I'm taking yet.  :-\  Got a wierd caliber or two I'm thinking of trying but haven't decided yet.  I've got to get the boy out shooting to see what he can do.  I've got a little .44 Spl/Mag Carbine that has his name written all over it. O0  Got to get a set of scope mounts and put some glass on it for him though. O0  I've got a feeling that whatever gun I choose, it will be as backup only. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »
Well, the son-in-law added me to his group for a managed hunt Dec 5th and 6th. It's a muzzleloader hunt. Odds are only about 4% of getting drawn, but if drawn, I'll be shooting my CVA 50 cal in-line. I've had this gun for several years and never fired it. Time to get busy.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

BBF

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 02:38:39 PM »
HEY BC
Maybe "the boy" has his own ideas what he wants to shoot. :wink:

BBF

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »
I've put in for a Doe tag. Should I get one I will probably use the Handi in 45-70 Govt for the few days I have left before heading south. No Doe tag I won't bother up here.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:49:40 PM »
HEY BC
Maybe "the boy" has his own ideas what he wants to shoot. :wink:

Nah........... My guns, my boy, my say-so. O0 ;D ;D  I figure the .44 mag carbine should about do it.  It won't kick him and it's big enough to do the job.  The .32-20 is a bit small for him right now.  I want to make sure that if he gets a marginal shot, whatever he's shooting will do the job.  Besides, you can't find a lot of loads in .32-20 and I haven't got into loading them yet.  Other than those 2, I would have to get down in the .22 cal and I KNOW I don't want him shooting something that small yet.

I'm going to have to take a trip to Bass Pro Shops and see if they've got any of the .44 mag loads with the Hornady Lever Evolution bullets on them. O0  Those would be a little better aerodynamically than the 300 gr. CastCore Federal loads I've got that I shoot out of the pistol. ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »
Hey BC. When I had my .44 Winchester, I found a load of 9gr of AA #5 (? I'll have to look to confirm) behind a lead slug made for a great light-recoil plinker/rabbit killer. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »
Hey BC that .44 magnum is a GREAT deer rifle regardless of your age! O0

The very first rifle I bought after turning 18 was a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. I had a Burris 1 3/4 to 5 power scope on it and any deer or hog in Georgia or Florida that was inside 100 years was mine.

I took 7 or 8 deer with it and about that many hogs. CCI/Speer had a 200 grain hollow point that was as deadly as a 155mm Howitzer. I sold that gun back in the early 90's and I've regreted it ever since. :'( :'( :'( :sad: :sad:

For a while Marlin actually made a smaller version that weighed even less, was shorter in length and held I believe 6 or 7 rounds rather than the 10 the regular size model did. It was the perfect in close swamp gun.

I think it was only made for a year or two, but if I find one and it's in good condition, I'm going to have to really cosider buying it!! O0 :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47:51 PM »
The one I've got is the little Marlin you're talking about Bohica. O0  It's the 1894S Carbine Limited.  It was made in 1996 only, with only about 1,500 being made.  It's got a little 16 1/4" barrel, so it's a short little feller.  It won't even reach up to the barrel holder area in the gun safe. ;D  The little feller is still basically NIB.  It's never been shot, but I took it out of the box and plastic sleeve before I put it in the safe. O0

Figure it should be a pretty good little gun for the boy to hunt with.  Being what the gun is, he's not going to be let lose with it for several years though. :wink: ;D  Got to find a set of mounts for it here before too long.  On lever action guns, I like the looks of the straight tube scopes (20 mm objective).  Trouble is, those things are pretty tough to find, and when you do you end up paying an arm and a leg for them.  I've got both a 2-7 x 33 Leupold and a 2-7 x 32 Nikon in the safe that I could mount on it for the time being.

I've been mulling it over and I think I've got my gun choice narrowed down to 3..............  Either a Winchester M94 in .25-35 Win, a Marlin 1894-S in .45 Colt, or a Marlin 1894CL in .32-20 Win.  I'm kind of leaning toward the .45 Colt though.  O0  Have to do a little research on bullets and loads for it to see what I can come up with though. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

BBF

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:09:28 AM »
So you are giving "the boy" more firepower then you plan to pack ???

Any of those regular shaped 44 bullets will do 100 yards you don't need the gummy bear bullet from Hdy.

Facebook Comments