November 19, 2017, 02:46:13 PM

Author Topic: Some dove hunting advice please.  (Read 1879 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Some dove hunting advice please.
« on: September 01, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »
 :buck2
There harder than a guy thinks!! I didn't make it out to our Sharpie place,short on time. I ran down to the river and tried our hands on Doves.We had to get a late start,9:00 and had to be home early 2:00. Were new at the dove thing and are still looking for the secret. I know there very tuff to hit and getting many just won't happen. I have shot at then enough to know that. I was wondering HOW to hunt them. We hunt public land and cant really use decoys. We don't have any sunflower Fields and trees are very scarce. A long the river there are scattered clumps of cottonwoods and Russian olives. with lots of chock cheery trees and brush. What we did is to walk the trees with one on each side of the trees and the same with the brushy Coulee. We flushed many birds but very often they would fly and we would not see them till they where 50 yards and moving fast.Most would fly to the next stand of brush or trees and hold up . Sounds like a good effort but the growth is 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart and makes for a lot of walking. We got two and lost four in the brush and couldn't find them. We also shot about 20 times ---each.Had a good time but was wondering how else we could hunt them ?? Here is some pics of the land we where hunting.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Some dove hunting advice please.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »
Best thing to do with that open country like that is to find an area that they like to travel through and set up some decoys.

With no food plots or anything like that to hunt, the next best thing to do is to make them come to you with the decoys. O0

As you found out, make sure you take plenty of shells. ;D  I've seen those little aerial acrobatic SOB's dodge shot colums headed toward them. >:(  You may think I'm kidding, but it's the truth!  Normally, you would use 7 1/2 to 8 shot, but if you're going to be shooting longer distances, you may want to consider going down to a #6 so it will carry a little farther. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 05:26:55 PM »
Best thing to do with that open country like that is to find an area that they like to travel through and set up some decoys.
With no food plots or anything like that to hunt, the next best thing to do is to make them come to you with the decoys. O0

No decoys and we didn't have time to do much messing around. As far as where the want to fly I don't know.
Yes we have shot them before and know I'll need LOTS of ammo. I normally don't get any thing smaller than #6 there is aways a good possibility of kicking up some grouse any where we hunt and 7 1/2 and 8"s are to small. I use as open a chock as I have ,not quite  full open. There must be some way to walk hunt them ???
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:04:39 PM »
Dove hunting is almost always pass shooting. Even in areas that don't have many trees or planted crops to hunt over, you pretty much let the dove come to you.

You do this by finding water and trees. The birds will roost during much of the day and will fly mostly early at first light and then about an hour or two before dark. They will travel a good distance between roost and food areas, but they'll stay close if the food is nearby.

Dove don't like to land on hills and in tall grass, they like to be able to see a long way when they're on the ground. They prefer still water to flowing and they love to eat the grit that is along the bank.

Dove can be patterned but you have to sneak out in the morning or late afternoon to see where they're flying when they come off the roost. Dove ALWAYS follow a pattern, they like to hug close to hill tops and fly by trees and power line poles.

They do this going to and from feeding/watering/roosting.

Unless you just like walking, there is really no need to do so for dove and in fact will more often than not be counter productive. Jump shooting dove has never worked for me and I've been shooting at these little turds since 1973 and hunted them from Florida to Texas and up into Kentucky and Virginia.

Let them come to you is your best bet for success for my money.

#6 is a bit much for dove imho. I realize you might get a shot at something bigger, but #8 or #7 1/2 is much better for a bird that only takes a single pellet to kill.

Improved cylinder and modified are the best chokes when pass shooting. I guess if you prefer to walk then you could use the full choke since your shots will be much longer.

Decoys put out will be a big help too since in open country like yours the birds can see them from a long way off. And they do work, believe me. I've seen just 4 decoys pull birds in from adjacent fields like a magnet! If food is spread out as it appears in your area, the decoys could make a huge difference.

Dove are regulated by the Feds, because they're a migratory bird but they usually allow the states to set the legal shooting times. If you live somewhere you can't hunt until after noon, use the morning to scout the area and find where the birds are roosting and see where they fly to when they head out to eat and drink.

On average you'll shoot at five dove for every dove you kill. But it's still the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! :wink: O0

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:06:10 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:47:44 PM »

Well every one said I needed some decoys or I'd never get any doves so, I made some. I think they turned ok. I printed pictures on Vinyl then stuck the Vinyl on to Plastic poster board and covered it with clear Vinyl.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
Pretty cool! O0  Let us know how they work. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline kyhareraiser

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
seems to me that dove like to sail through low passes on the ground and like to follow power lines .as they said in the previous post ,it's best to let them come to you.they like to gravel them selves on dirt roadways and like a stand of trees to rest in . i noticed they also came from the direction the wind was blowing.guess with the wind under their wings verry little effort is needed to go long ways . also,the more people you have to shoot at them will keep them moving longer.. a cooler of water or other preferred beverages ,a good shade tree and 5 or 6 friends scattered about will get you some shooting action plus some good eats too.. we start at 2: pm and usually go to 5:00  and at the end there is always a small food fair.. good luck and hope you get the hang of it real soon
WHEN THE HAMMER DROPS ....THE BULL s*it STOPS

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
Those decoys look nice!! O0

Now all you have to do is hit 'em! :wink: O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:42:22 AM »
 >:(
 Well It's all over!!The temp dropped down to 33* and all the doves left last night. Next year I will try it some more and brake down and get some dove shells, May be I'll have my reloading stuff up and load some 3 1/2" #8's supper magnum!!! :knuppel2

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »
>:(
 Well It's all over!!The temp dropped down to 33* and all the doves left last night. Next year I will try it some more and brake down and get some dove shells, May be I'll have my reloading stuff up and load some 3 1/2" #8's supper magnum!!! :knuppel2
  :knuppel2 Next time they are gonna get it!
We still don't have a dove season here.  :tickedoff
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments