November 18, 2017, 01:07:18 AM

Author Topic: First Blood!  (Read 5232 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
First Blood!
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
Well the day didn't go exactly as I'd hoped because I ended up having to take care of some things.  But there just so happened to be a State Park out by where I was.  There was someone else already hunting there but I took an hour hike through anyways.

I heard two but didn't see them and had two runners that I couldn't get a clear shot on.  Then there were these two little guys:

And if I'm not mistaken that bottom one may indeed be a young red...after I was just saying that I've never seen one. ???

All-in-all it wasn't too bad for a spur of the moment thing.  The squirrels weren't very big...but I'm thinking if I can get about 200 more I can have a nice meal. O0

I still couldn't do the magic skinning trick with the tail though. >:(

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: First Blood!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »
OUTSTANDING! Young Man!!!  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

By George, I think he may have learned a thing or two since last year. :roll:  And who says all we do on here is B.S.  :idiot2

Congrats man! O0  There may be some hope for you after all. :wink:

Hey man, it's enough to make the skillet stink, and enough for a meal, so that's all that matters. :wink:  As for the bottom one being a fox squirrel, I don't know..... ???  Fox squirrels are red, but they've got a lot of gray in there too.  If it wasn't for the tail, I would say that it's a gray (grays can have quite a bit of red on them).  But with the tip of the tail being black, I don't know.............. ???

My only guess is that it may be a Red Squirrel.  

Below is a picture of some squirrel tails I had in the freezer from both fox & gray squirrels.  See how much different they are from the one you got?

My guess is that you got yourself a Red Squirrel. O0

As far as the "magic" of skinning one by cutting the tail.............  :roll:  I'll see if I can PM you with some helpful hints. O0 ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:54:45 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »
Yeah what BC sais, combined with the black border strip between the white belly and the red, I think it proably is a Red.
 We have created a monster ! Very nice outting indeed and nice shooting as well. O0
 Now maybe you need to reveiw BC tutorial and the vid Techno posted back when you pulled the tail off the first one :

I got it right the first time I tried it, but then I had already screwed a bunch of them up before that and knew what not to do. It's kinda expected for a newbie to mess up a few especially without a hands-on mentor. It just takes a little practice, but first you have to knock them down to practice on them. You're off to a great start.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:36:52 PM by MOSPARKY »
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:16:15 PM »
And if I'm not mistaken that bottom one may indeed be a young red...after I was just saying that I've never seen one. ???
:wink:

I'm pretty sure it's not a fox because they don't have white bellies...at least not any of the ones around here.  Unless baby fox squirrels have white bellies and then they change color later. ???

Well, I'm gonna go with Red...The first one I've ever seen.  Oh and Mo just posted while I was typing this.

Thanks for the commendation ya'll. O0
To be fair though, I was using a shotty...so it's nothing too spectacular. :-P

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 10:23:24 PM »
To be fair though, I was using a shotty...so it's nothing too spectacular. :-P

We're willing to cut you some slack on that aspect of it.  Considering "who" you are  :roll: and the fact that you're still learning.............. O0

On a serious note........
Don't ever let anyone give you crap about "what" you use to collect your critters. O0  As long as it's legal, that's all that matters. O0  Yeah, I know "some of us" ( :roll: ) are continuously giving people crap for using a shotgun, but it's all in good fun.  As long as you're happy with the outcome and it's legal, to heck with what anyone else thinks. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:45:55 PM »
Knock em out nOn!!!! O0 O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:50:18 PM »
Haha alright I wasn't too worried about it.  It's really all that I have anyways so if it's between using the 12 or not hunting squirrel at all, I'll take the noob tube any day. O0

I wonder what the trade in value would be on my AR and the little P-22 though. ???
I would like to hang onto them but also would like to get something that's more fit for hunting...Which conflicts with my current budget.  So I'm thinking of maybe trading it in for a 10/22 + cash or something. :-\

I can't use rifles for deer around me and I think its a bit overkill for the small critters.  I wouldn't be opposed to hunting small game with it but I'm stuck with hunting on State Land, and it's not very spacious.  So I'm worried about taking up shots with it.  I don't think the bullet really has enough mass to cause any damage coming down going terminal velocity but it still has that "what if" factor.

I don't know what to do. :-\

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »
Can't advise you there, but can give you some points to consider.

will you ever be able to afford another rifle like that?

Tho a small caliber like that requires accurate shot placement, most AR's accel in that department if the shooter knows what they are doing.

Bigger calibers don't make up for sloppy shots

if it's worth a grand today what's it worth tomarrow ?

If rifle deer is illegal there, then it's really only good for punching paper in your area. Do you like punching paper that much? will you always live or only have access to a shotgun only area ?

Can you at least use it for yotes ?

If you don't find a job soon, you may need that money to eat ect.

The shotty you got will take most any game on the planet.

Beware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it.

John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »
If it were me, I'd hang onto it. O0

Mosparky made some good points in what he wrote. O0  One other thing you have to look at is what are you going to do with a .22?  Squirrel hunt?  You've already got a squirrel gun.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
Yeah NoN, that's a red squirrel. They don't get as big as the greys. Around here, they are called pine squirrels or "boomers"
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")

Facebook Comments