November 22, 2017, 05:50:49 AM

Author Topic: First Blood!  (Read 5244 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: First Blood!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 08:57:16 AM »
You done good, nOn!  O0 You are officially a squirrel hunter now. You will discover your deer hunting skills will increase with your squirrel hunting experience.
You made nice shots on those squirrels, too. You deserve a good pat on the back from us old time squirrel hunters.  O0
Beginner squirrel hunters that haven't been brought up squirrel hunting have a tough time until things fall into place. And even then, you will run across some squirrels that tests your skills. Don't worry about the ones that get away. Just concentrate on what you learned and go for the next little bucktoothed critter.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:56:07 AM »
First of all, congrats on the 2 dead critters. Sounds like ya had a good time on an somewhat rushed hunt.

As far as your AR, hang onto it! It's like money in the bank. If your wanting to get into the .22 game, for less than $200, you can get a rifle, scope, scope rings, and a box of ammo. No need to part with an AR.

Mossberg 702 Plinkster - $109
Bushnell Trophy 4x12x40 AO - $69
Rings - $15
50 pack ammo - $4.00

And have fun!

Nick T

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »
Yea alright I'll hang onto the AR.  I just have that itch for something new, ya know?  I think I'm gonna part with the little P-22 for sure though.  I checked the book on it and they are up to $360 now and mines about as close to brand new as you can get as I've probably only put about 300 rounds through it.
I should be able to get a fair trade-in on that, don't ya think?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
Hate to sound like a broken record, but you should keep it. :wink:  You never know what's going to happen with this administration and guns, especially handguns. >:(  You've got it, and who knows what's going to transpire in the future related to them. :tickedoff
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
I've always had a little different thinking about selling guns. Unless it has sentimental value, I'll let one go for what I feal is a fair deal, but if I sell one, the money is put back into a new one and/or other hunting related items, ie: scopes, accessories, ammo, etc.. Way I see it, if it's not doing me any good if it's a closet or drawer queen, I want something I'm going to use. Once I got out of deer hunting, I parted with my centerfire rifles, but bird hunting was what I was interested in so the proceeds went into a Benelli. I've bought all my rimfires outright, but if I had a pistol laying around that wasn't going to be used, I wouldn't have any problem selling it if the money was going into a rimfire setup of equal value.

Nick T

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 05:18:25 AM »
I would love to hang on to it if I was in the position financially but I don't know how else I can tame this itch.  And along Nicks line of reasoning, I think I'd get more use out a little rimfire rifle...hunting small game with this shotgun is getter bothersome. :-\
I was actually hoping, when I bought it, that I'd be able to shoot some small game with it.  I saw a comparison review online that put it up against a Buckmark...or maybe it was a Mark III...anyways, they gave the edge to the P-22.  But I can't seem to hit a damn thing with it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 08:05:08 AM »
I would love to hang on to it if I was in the position financially but I don't know how else I can tame this itch.  And along Nicks line of reasoning, I think I'd get more use out a little rimfire rifle...hunting small game with this shotgun is getter bothersome. :-\
I was actually hoping, when I bought it, that I'd be able to shoot some small game with it.  I saw a comparison review online that put it up against a Buckmark...or maybe it was a Mark III...anyways, they gave the edge to the P-22.  But I can't seem to hit a damn thing with it.
I would get rid of it. A gun like that is no good to you if you can't hit with it. It probably doesn't fit your hand.
I had a good operating Browning Hi Power 9mm I couldn't hit with and sold it. I bought another pistol I could really hit with, an old Hi Standard Military .22 that shot like a rifle.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 11:40:12 AM »
Two more down!

I went out a couple days ago on another unplanned mini excursion.  I went over to a friends house to change my oil and he happens to have a little stretch of woods behind his house but I only had about a half hour to hunt though.

I walked for only a few minutes before I saw the first one and it was dead before it hit the ground.  Then one of his friends was barking at me from the same tree but I would've been shooting back towards the house and by the time I could reposition myself I lost it.  After that I heard some chattering and moved over to the general area and came up on about 4 grays on the ground that took off running.  So I went on over the hill in the direction in which they ran and saw number two sitting on a downed tree. :buck2 

Probably about 60 yards away from where number two lay dead I saw another.  So I took the shot but I think it was a bit out range for the shotgun.  The squirrel did the little "I just got shot" shuffle and went down a ravine and out of sight.  I expected to go down there and see it laying but I couldn't find any sign of it after searching for 10 minutes or so.  I decided to just move on and come back later to look again.  I walked for another 15 minutes or so and didn't see much so I went back to that area and heard a little rustling underneath some scrub.  It was him!  He caught sight of me and took off up a small dead tree and into a hollow leaving the end of his tail exposed.  So I reached in and took hold of it but got only a mass of fur.  I dropped back a few yards with my shotgun aimed at the hollow and waited only for a minute or two before he decided to bail but before I could even react he flew out of there like greased lightning and scampered away into the woods. >:(

So I think I must have just caught him with a pellet or two in the rear which is one thing that really annoys me with the shotgun.  But it made a fun memory. :)

And I managed to do the magic skinning trick on the second one I cleaned! O0 (I cut the tail off of the first one accidentally)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
Good going nOnAmE.  O0  And especially on learning the "magic" trick. :wink: ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 02:46:43 PM »
Excellent and congrats on mastering the trick.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments