November 19, 2017, 10:58:59 PM

Author Topic: Salmon Fishing Help  (Read 2097 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Salmon Fishing Help
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »
My cousin and I are heading up north in a few weeks to do some salmon fishing.  Apparently they are running the Manistee River by the handful but neither he nor I really have much experience fishing.

Ya'll have any advice that you could offer?  Gear, Lures, Techniques, etc...?

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Salmon Fishing Help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
Wish I could help, but the closest I've been to salmon is the canned kind.

I've never been salmon fishing so I'm jealous!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

BBF

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:35:14 AM »
Done more salmon fishing then any other but seldom on a river. Best I can think of is a little bag of roe with a hook inside, about 3 to four feet of leader
( 15 to 20 lb test) before a weight. The weight we used was a piece of lead
( pencil thick) wire stuck into a piece of surgical tube. Using a T type swivel the weight was attched to the bottom of the verical part of the T with very short piece of line. The idea is to have the weight bounce along the bottom( usually rock), the roe bag is floating downstream off the bottom. The lead would pull free from the tube if the rig got hung up on the rocks which you can count on.

There are artificial lures made that look like a blob of roe( big stuff) but I never found that to work as well as the real roe.

There are artificial salmon flies available as well that can be fly rod cast or floated downstream if you have a shallow spot  and hip waders which gets you into the water.
Spinners and spoons can be used if the river is deeper but be prepared to loose them on rocks. Use a long rod medium action
We used 20 lb lines in most situation.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:26:22 PM »
I fished real hard for 3 days in Oregon on the Rogue River, without any luck. I figure on using DuPont Sinkers next time I go salmon fishing there.

FYI, DuPont Sinkers is dynamite.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »
Well, I'm off for the weekend!  Thanks for the advice everyone (BBF). ;D Hopefully next time you see me I'll be 300lbs heavier with salmon. O0

BBF

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:23:20 AM »
 Hopefully we can call you " Walking Eagle" because your are so full of S**T" you'll need a runway to take off ;D :wink:

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »
 O0  Good luck man.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »
Well I'm back...and we got skunked.
We had 3 on but they all got away.  You could see the river monsters everywhere and there was nothing we could do to get them to bite.  That, coupled with our lack of experience and know-how, made for some pretty frustrating fishing.  It was >40 degrees with constant rain/sleet, holey waders and soaking wet bitter cold nights but I think this quote sums the trip up nicely: O0

Quote from: Fred Bear
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.

Now that we kind of know what to expect, hopefully we will be able to slay em next year.

I didn't really get many pics but I did get this one just to give ya'll an idea of the average size of these super fish. :shock:  Some joker threw it up on a post besides the road.
And our motley crew 8) :roll:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:05:38 AM »
Nice fish, too bad you didn't catch it, nO!  :sad:
At least you fellas know how to wrap up a fishing trip!  O0 A fella has to break the chill and fend off snake bite.  O0

I had a couple of run-ins with some Indian hater officials in Oregon that pretty much ruined my trip. I was not welcome in Oregon for the seven years following the trouble.  ;D Instead of staying around and paying their bogus fines, I just went on up the coast and worked.
Oregon tried to get Oklahoma to revoke my DL because of the bogus game/fish charges, but the wonderful state of OK just laughed at them.  O0 :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
You'll get 'em next time! O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments