November 24, 2017, 05:23:39 PM

Author Topic: how to preserve a pelt  (Read 3190 times)

Offline born-to-hunt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
how to preserve a pelt
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »
this is how I preserve them.

things you need:
1 squirrel (minus the insides)
a piece of wood
some nails or something to pin it to the board
salt
a knife (preferably not a sarraded one)
and baking soda

1st. pin or nail your pelt to the wood fur side down and don't put the nails in too far hard to get out without cutting the pelt a lil.

2nd try to cut and peel some of the fat and meat off with your knife

3rd put I nice thick layer of salt on top don't be afraid to pile it on a lil bit after just a few hours it will start to turn kinda brown but let it set a day.

4th scrape the salt off and see what fat you can get off

5th put another layer of salt on and repeat for about 2 weeks after your 2 weeks it is on to step 6

6th the last three days of you 2 weeks put a BIG layer of salt on and let it set for three days it should be really hard but scrape it off and it's to the 7th and final step.

7th put some baking soda this should obsorb all the rest of the fat that is on the squirrel you want to pelt to be blue kind of when your done. O0 then just let it set out in the sun for maybe 2 or 3 days until it is white then you are dona and can hang it up and admire it every day.  O0

P.S. good luck killing squirrels to preserve :twisted:
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
Re: how to preserve a pelt
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
Is it plyable or ridged when it's done? Thanks for posting this up, I'll give it a try.

Nick T

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
it is plyable and your welcome I will post some pics when I get a chance.  O0 ;D
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »
I gotta keep one sometime...that is, if I can manage not to massacre the hide when I'm cleaning it. :D

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
I gotta keep one sometime...that is, if I can manage not to massacre the hide when I'm cleaning it. :D

I do the same thing sometimes.

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:22:35 PM »
Great post O0, I'll have to try this I get a few nice foxes time to time and it would be great to do with the kids.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 06:47:10 AM »
Mix some alum with the salt if you have some alum. Using animal brains is another route to go.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »
Mix some alum with the salt if you have some alum. Using animal brains is another route to go.

I'll have to bust the skull open and try using brains.

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »
what kind of Alum do you use John? I know of 4 or 5 different types of Alums or does it really matter?
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 10:10:59 AM »
what kind of Alum do you use John? I know of 4 or 5 different types of Alums or does it really matter?
We used to use the powered, purchased at our local drug store.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments