December 16, 2017, 07:15:19 PM

Author Topic: question about scrapes  (Read 464 times)

Offline kyhareraiser

question about scrapes
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »
while lookin' my huntin' area over today and after seeing a bunch of fresh tracks ,i got keyed up and am now ready for the hunt.. lookin' arround a little more ,i found something that was aittle strange to me ??? (this early in the season anyway),it was a scrape arround 18" cleared out and had a doe track in the center to show the buck she had been there and i don't know why else...to early for the extrous cycle (right).. anyway ,i'll put a couple trail cams out to see what's happenin' and when..   what do y'all think about the scrape,,hell,i thought that they were in velvet or at least the last part of sheddin' it.. no rubs to be seen yet
WHEN THE HAMMER DROPS ....THE BULL s*it STOPS

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: question about scrapes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:29:46 PM »
Actually deer can breed all year. Though not common. There could be an over abundance of doe's in your area. I have seen scrapes and rubs plum through march before as well. I would be hunting that area for sure! O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:57 PM »
Actually deer can breed all year. Though not common. There could be an over abundance of doe's in your area. I have seen scrapes and rubs plum through march before as well. I would be hunting that area for sure! O0

That's partially right Nutz. O0  The bucks can breed all year long, but the does only come into estrous around mid November.  If they don't get bred then, they keep coming into estrous every 28 days until they do. O0

As for the scrape, I was talking to one of my uncles last night.  He said that another one of my uncles (his brother) was out squirrel hunting the other day and watched a nice 8 pt 'bird dogging' a doe around. ???  He said that the buck wouldn't leave her alone.  Seems kinda weird, but I guess it's possible. :idiot2  Must be all of this Global Warming, huh? ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 09:15:22 AM »
I see bucks dogging does during non breeding season, too.

I do some (free) guiding for some non resident pals and their friends during bow season. They do OK when the weather cools down and the deer are moving. One thing good is I am on patrol and know for sure when the deer are moving and when the rut is actually on.
I tried to put them onto two big 12 pointers last season. But when the hunters don't pay attention, it lets the deer live until at least next season.   :uglystupid2

Those two big 12 pointers are still out there.  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments