October 20, 2017, 07:23:00 PM

Author Topic: At Least I know They're Out There.  (Read 1994 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
At Least I know They're Out There.
« on: October 05, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »
Saturday I hunted from about 7:15am-6:30pm and counted 9 deer. Unfortunately most were waayyy out of range.

I thought I might have a shot at a big doe, who was coming into range, but when she was about 50 yards out, she turned and angled away. None of the others got closer.

I did see one real nice buck though. It was 1:45pm and he was coming out of a pine clearcut that had been cut last summer. I watched him through my field glasses and tried to count the points, but he stayed behind some real thick stuff and I could only catch pieces of him as he walked through.

I'll bet his inside spread was at least 16-18" and I'd bet he was at least an 8 or better. I had the sun in my eyes and I don't know if I was seeing shadows or not but, his base looked huge!!

His G-2's looked like Sykes-Fairburn daggers!!!! :shock: :shock:

He ambled down to a creek behind me and I hoped he'd come back up the draw towards me, but I never saw again.

I hope I see him during gun season!!!

Saw only 3 all day Sunday and hunted about the same hours as Saturday.

They were all doe who walked by within 20 minutes of each other a little after 1:00pm. They never got closer than 60-65 yards.

Looks like the deer at least where I am are moving a lot more in the early afternoon, which is why I've always tried to hunt all day.

I know the "experts" say to hunt early in the morning and late in the afternoon, but to my way of thinking.....

If you ain't in the woods you ain't going to kill anything regardless of the time or what the "experts" say! :wink: :wink:

Saturday is the opening of black powder here and I really don't know if any of our club members use BP or not. Regardless, I'll be back out one more time with my bow. Then I'll have to wait for the gun season.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline 2Nutz

Re: At Least I know They're Out There.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:48:19 PM »
Take a scent away shower and move your stand closer you will connect! O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »
I wish it was THAT simple.

Scent is not the issue. You need to realize that the deer are not all moving in a single direction. Some are going north-south, south-north, east-west, west-east and variations of all the above.

You can't move if you have no trees to support you or where they don't allow you a clear shot due to obstructions.

It also helps if you're FACING in the right direction and sometimes that requires a stand in an area less than perfect or ideal, but it's ALL you've got! :shock:

All these factors apply here along with a few more such as wind and sun direction and the barrometer rising and falling.

While I don't ALWAYS allow them to play a major role, with the weather we've had as of late I'm taking NOTHING for granted.

The rut is still a long way off and all I can do is hope I can get them to come close to this funnel in the area they use to go from bedding-feeding and ambush them.

Don't always believe those outdoor shows where the host has ALL of his deer coming from the exact same area and always walk under his stand at 10 yards or less.

I WISH hunting was that easy! :wink: :wink: :shock: :shock:

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
Right as rain, bo. O0  And yes, you can't kill them if you aren't out there hunting.
Those video hunters usually don't show the days they don't connect. I knew a couple that only hunted the "prime" hours and didn't even connect with a doe.  :roll: They and their TV film crew left with nothing.

I see lots of decent bow shots while I am squirrel hunting.

Perhaps a ladder free standing stand would be the solution to those areas that won't support a tree stand.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:36 AM »
Sounds like you may need to "accidentally" spill some of those little golden kernals of goodness in a good spot by your stand. O0 :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »
Sounds like you may need to "accidentally" spill some of those little golden kernals of goodness in a good spot by your stand. O0 :twisted:
;D Yea it's quite common while carrying a plastic bag of something through the woods for it to be ripped open accidentally by some tree branches.  I gotta imagine that would be pretty frustrating if that were to happen to my bag. :D

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »
You know the convoluted way they've drawn up the baiting laws here, I don't know what constitutes baiting anymore. :idiot2 :idiot2 :idiot2

I just got approved to take Friday off so I'll be hunting this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I may have to put out a few Claymores and if that doesn't work I may have to call in "Close Air Support" from an AC-130....

It's AMAZING what a 30mm Bofors gun spraying 20,000 rounds a minute can do!
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 04:35:37 PM »
Right as rain, bo. O0  And yes, you can't kill them if you aren't out there hunting.
Those video hunters usually don't show the days they don't connect. I knew a couple that only hunted the "prime" hours and didn't even connect with a doe.  :roll: They and their TV film crew left with nothing.

I see lots of decent bow shots while I am squirrel hunting.

Perhaps a ladder free standing stand would be the solution to those areas that won't support a tree stand.

I have to use a ladder stand in this area, but the freakin' rain has tore up the ground so bad that even the few trees you can use are so off kilter with errosion that you can't keep the *&^% Stand straight without it falling over!!
 >:( >:( >:( >:( :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »
Your'alls regualtions are screwed up! :shock:  I was just looking at the 2009-2010 GA Hunting Guide.  On page 16 it deals with baiting.  I've looked around though and can't find out exactly what constitutes "baiting". ???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 06:51:51 PM »
You could just go ahead and bait and let the warden sort it out for you. ;D ;D

As for the deer moving that early in the afternoon my 2 cents would be it was because of the moon being close to full. I have noticed more 10am to 2pm activity during the week of a full moon.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Facebook Comments