October 24, 2017, 01:51:35 AM

Author Topic: Look What I Got...  (Read 4080 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Look What I Got...
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 08:09:40 AM »
I shot it for a few hours last Thursday before I left and I actually did a lot better than I thought I would.  Once I figured out the sights, I was grouping 3"+/- pretty consistently at 30 yards.  The sights were way off but I'm going to get a good release before I mess with anything.
That's pretty good, nO!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »
Well I went over to my uncles yesterday to try to sight it in because I was planning on going out today.  The guy that gave me the bow gave me a few arrows with field tips and one broad head but they must have been different grains because the broad head was shooting waaay low.  And it was difficult to sight with only one arrow.

So I bought some different tips yesterday, I'm going over to sight in again today and then I'm off tomorrow to see if I can get lucky. O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »
Well I went over to my uncles yesterday to try to sight it in because I was planning on going out today.  The guy that gave me the bow gave me a few arrows with field tips and one broad head but they must have been different grains because the broad head was shooting waaay low.  And it was difficult to sight with only one arrow.

So I bought some different tips yesterday, I'm going over to sight in again today and then I'm off tomorrow to see if I can get lucky. O0

;D ;D

Dude, it's rare for a field tip and a broadhead to hit in the same spot. :roll: O0  Get some new arrows and a package of broadheads.  Take 2 of the broadheads and put them on your new arrows and use them to practice with.  Put the 4 other new broadheads on 4 new arrows and put those in your quiver to hunt with.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 04:52:24 PM »
Dude, it's rare for a field tip and a broadhead to hit in the same spot. :roll: O0 
Yea I figured they were not going to hit the same spot but it was just radically off.  I didn't expect that much drop.

But what about the mechanical ones that guarantee to fly like a field tip?  I bought some yesterday...I think they are Shockwaves or something like that.  They are like ten bucks a pop and there are three in a package so I can't really afford anymore. I mean I know they are not gonna be exact but they should hit pretty close to a field tip of the same grain, no? ???

I could never get a hold of my uncle today to practice anyways. >:(

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 06:02:31 PM »
The mechanicals should fly close to the field tips, but they still won't fly "exactly" the same.  If you had that much drop, sounds like they were different weights.

If you've only got 3, use 1 to practice with and put the other 2 in your quiver to hunt with. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 09:21:28 PM »
If I can add my 2 cents here. Since you got the bow for free, if your expenses allow it, try and get some decent arrows.

Either aluminum or carbon.

You don't have to go heavy with broadheads either. 100 grains would be plenty big enough for whitetails.

The big thing then is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »
My uncle gave me a dozen of some really nice aluminum arrows.  He ordered them too short for his bow but they fit mine perfectly. O0

I went over to practice the other day again with mixed results.  At first I was all over the place but then after an hour or two I was hitting a paper plate sized group at 20 yards.  I was shooting better the very first time I shot the bow so I don't know what that's all about. ???

Anyways, I'm suffering in 3 areas...

1.)  Muscle memory - I'm having a difficult time getting the same anchor point every time on my drawback which I think is my biggest problem.  I sighted it in the other day and then when I went to shoot again yesterday, my arrow went left about a mile!  I re-sighted it and by the end of the day I felt I was anchoring pretty consistently.

2.)  Conditioning - My bow arm is freakin sore!  I would've thought, if anything, that my drawing arm would be the one that's sore.  It's not even like its the muscles that are sore...it's the joints!  I feel like an arthritic old man. :D  It's pretty darn hard to keep that thing steady after shooting it repeatedly for so long.

3.)  Dominant Eye - I shoot left handed with my left eye being dominant but have a right hand bow.  It's not that big of a deal, because I'm right handed to begin with, but it still doesn't feel natural.  I'm sure you guise know what I'm saying, assuming that you've ever tried to shoot with your other hand.

So I don't think I'm *quite* there yet.  I'm gonna practice a few more times next week and then hopefully get out next weekend. O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
The main thing is to have a consistent anchor point.  If you do that, then everything else should fall into place. O0  It may be your bow hand also.  Is there a sling on the bow that goes around your wrist?  If not get one.  The purpose of it is so that you don't have to "hold" or "grip" the bow.  It takes some getting used to, but when you shoot, don't grab the bow.  Let it just cradle kind of on the ball of your hand/thumb.  The purpose of the sling is so the bow won't go flying when you shoot.  But if you torque the bow with your hand when you shoot, it will throw your arrows all over the place. :wink:

If you're left eye dominant, but shooting right handed, you'll need to close your left eye.  Your dominant eye naturally aligns on target, so if it's open it may be causing some of your troubles.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 12:58:40 AM »
Dang it... I a little late again. BC is dead on with the sling and grip info. A relaxed grip can be very important. Don't put the gorilla grip on the bow nor do you want to spread your hand like pool shooting arch. Just let it gently cradle in your hand ( kinda like if you were to just sorta lean against a fence post to wipe something off your shoe). A kisser button might be in order to help with the consistant anchor. Last I checked they were less than 2 bucks and having it served on don't cost much either. You could serve it yourself if you have a decent working knowledge of boyscout knots and such. a little dental floss works great for that.
 Do you have a peep served into the bowstring? If not get one, and have someone that knows what they are doing set it to fit you. It is extremely important that it lines up with your eye when you draw. If you have to raise your head even just a little to find it, your posture and anchor just got compromised and all bets are off.
 Don't over practice with the bow. Sounds odd to say, but what I mean is don't fatigue yourself. I did it one year. I shot til I couldn't pull the bow. Then rested 15 min and shot again til I couldn't pull. I kept it up until after 15 min I still couldn't pull the bow. I paid dearly for that. I lost a whole season because it hurt too much to try to pull, and my shoulder popped every night in my sleep for a couple of yrs, sometimes very painfully. I was afraid I had the dreaded torn rotator cup that pleagues so many over-zealous archers.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 10:05:37 AM »
Oh okay thanks for the tips!  Yes I do have a sling for my bow hand.  I didn't know not to grip the bow tightly though so I will have to try that.  My neighbor (the one that gave me the bow) has a kisser button on his bow and he suggested that I get one too.  I think I probably will pick one of those up sometime in the near future.
The bow does have a peep.  It was never setup specifically for me but it seems to be alright...My neighbor and I are about the same height.

I think I may have already over practiced.  My shoulder and elbow hurt pretty bad.  Hopefully it's just microtrauma and nothing more. :-\

Facebook Comments