December 11, 2017, 05:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Funnies While Hunting  (Read 4136 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Funnies While Hunting
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:12:34 AM »
What comedy or interesting things have you folks observed while hunting?  I watched a squirrel tease and play with a redtail hawk for over half an hour, until the hawk gave up. The weather was miserable, the third day of solid rain. I was in a tree stand deer hunting in Illinois a few (few?) years back. Stay with me, we older folks have a different time concept than you younger ones. The hawk landed in a leafless tree right in front of me. Suddenly, a fox squirrel ran out on the limb the hawk was perched on, chattering at the hawk. Yep, the hawk went for the squirrel. The squirrel ran back down the limb and around the tree, with the hawk in persuit. This went on for over half an hour. The hawk would miss, then land on a limb again, and the whole thing would start over again. The hawk was serious, and the onery squirrel :twisted:  was having the time of his life. If the hawk had caught the squirrel, it would have been lunch time for the hawk, of course. No, I didn't see a deer that morning.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 02:31:03 AM »
I had a funny thing happen last year, too. The timber seemed pretty quiet, not much out, as far as the squirrels were concerned. I did a slow sneak up to a tree and quietly sat down, and lit a smoke after I removed my camo mask. I was having a quiet smoke when I heard some scratching on the tree above me. I looked up and spotted a large gray squirrel. He proceeded further down the tree and went out on a limb. This was too good to be true, I thought. I pulled up and sent a little .17 pill through his head. I thought there might be another one nearby, so I lit up another smoke and heard sonething else on the tree. Down the tree came another squirrel, and right out on the same limb he went. He stopped not more than a couple of inches from where I just shot the one. He got the same treatment. The second one actually fell right on top of his buddy. One was a female, one was a male. They must have been siblings, because they were identical in markings and colors. :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 09:53:36 AM »
Okay John, I quit smoking 3 years ago, but I may have to carry a pack and light one every once in a while, just so the smoke will attract some squirrels....  :wink:

The other day I saw some red headed woodpeckers (a pair I think) chase a squirrel out of a tree.  never saw that one before...
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline Bowhunter57

Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:43:37 PM »
I was watching a couple of fox squirrels chase each other, when they suddenly separated and went their own ways. The squirrel closest to me climbed out on limb to "tap" into the next tree, when he fell all the way to the ground with a thud. :oops:

Squirrels are such avid climbers, this struck me as hilarious. He laid there for a while collecting his thoughts, very slowly regained his feet and walked away. He was climbing the next tree very carefully.  :lol:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those that have hunted them long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
- E. Hemmingway

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 07:24:44 PM »
I was fishing a trout stream once and came upon a nice pretty pool. Just as I was drawing back to cast there was a large splash right in the middle of the hole. I started scanning the banks, searching for the joker who was "rocking" me, when I noticed a squirrel swimming toward me. He climbed right up on the rock I was standing on, ran right across my feet, shook himself off like a dog on the bank and then wandered off into the woods. I am always amazed by all their acrobatic stunts and arial leaps and bounds but on occasion they do miss. :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 11:36:23 PM »
I have a funny,  I was squirrel hunting today, lined up on my first squirrel of the day, popped him off of a branch.  went to claim him after a few minutes, and as I'm wading throught the brambles, I kick up a buck.  nice size, but I'm not sure how big the rack was. (I would say at least an 8 pt.)  
well I get up to my squirrel, and found out that is was about 5 foot from where the buck was bedded down.  I wonder what would have happenned if it fell on him and got stuck on a tine?????
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 12:30:32 AM »
Firekidd, that would have been funny! I have seen squirrels miss a limb, too. I shot one squirrel today that only had a few inches of his tail with hair, several inches from his body was hair, the rest of his tail looked like a rat tail. :?:  :-k

Offline adam

Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 07:27:45 PM »
I remember watching 2 gray squirrels fight. It was serious business.They fought what appeared to be a draw, but one squirel just broke and ran.The other one barked and squacked as the apparent loser boogered off.The victor, who was right under my stand, hopped up on a log and started hopping like a rabbit-he would make a little hateful sounding "yip" every time he hopped.I'm not making this up.That little sucker was plucky.

I had a grouse whip the daylights out of me t' other day.I shot it and went to pick it up by the neck,and it commenced to flogging and clawing me.Had to wring it's little neck. :twisted:
If it says "meow" I say "Pow!"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 02:39:24 AM »
I will tell you of a strange one that happened just a short while back at my workplace. Right close to our HQ is a main entrance gate. There at the gateshack we have bird feeders that are visited by the many chipmunks in the area . I was on patrol and stopped by the gate to check on the fellas on duty. The guys stationed there took me around to the other side and showed me a dead sparrow that had been killed- by a chipmunk. They heard a commotion and had gone around the shack and spotted a chipmunk and the bird locked together, fighting. Other birds were divebombing the chipmunk while the fight was going on. The bird broke free, and then attacked the chipmunk! Again, the fight got going, and the two locked together. Finally, the chipmunk broke off the fight, and the bird was dead when he let go of it. A few more divebomb attacks from the birds, and the rodent ran into one of it's burrow holes, leaving the dead bird. We speculated  they were fighting over some of the seed.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Funnies While Hunting
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 02:56:09 AM »
Another time a few years ago I was on patrol when I saw a large 10 point buck slowly coming out of the edge of some brush and was coming up onto the roadside in front of me. Rut was really on, right then. I stopped, with the deer not more than three feet from the front of my patrol vehicle.  He looked rather strange, his ears were down, and he resembled a jackass. I thought he really looked and acted strange, and continued to sit there and watch him. After a couple of minutes, I saw him look over his shoulder behind him and off to the side. About the center of my car another large 11 pointer came up out of the ditch. The two deer moved to the center of the road, not more than 6 feet from my bumper, and began the battle. They kept fighting and completely ignored me. At one time they were right along side my vehicle on the driver's side, going at it. I had my window down, and could have reached out and slapped them. The fight continued on for quite a while, and it appeared they were actually trying to kill each other. The two could have passed for twins, except for the extra point on the one. Finally, the 10 pointer chased the 11 pointer through the ditch across the road, and down over the bluff to the lake that was close by. The next morning we found the 11 pointer dead in the water close to shore, right where they were last seen fighting. I could not watch the final outcome because I received a detail by radio and had to get back to work.

Facebook Comments