November 24, 2017, 05:25:15 PM

Author Topic: Need your guys and gal's input!  (Read 1301 times)

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Need your guys and gal's input!
« on: October 10, 2009, 09:46:03 PM »
I've never hunted in a public hunting area before. Only privately owned land.  My brother and I are going to try out Perry Reservoir. We have no convenient private land hunting connections up here in northeast kansas, we'd have to drive 6 hours to get to our parent's farm down in arkansas its just too far to go do a morning of small game hunting, without staying for a few days.  Anyways yes we are going to try Perry reservoir because it is the most remote of the three WMA in our vicinity and we already have kansas licenses. We will be using one .22lr and one 12 guage. (maybe a .17 hmr too =))

My concerns come because it is bow season, and there are going to be deer hunters camo'ed up , sitting in the trees. I have no experience hunting public areas so what should i do to make sure it is a safe practice? I'm thinking it will make good sense to designate a trail to walk, and check it first for deer hunters without shooting any squirrels in the trees, and make sure its clear. It will make for marginal hunting as i'll scare everything away before i get to shoot at them. I'd rather come home empty handed than risk a hunting accident.  Please share your experiences on safe public hunting (squirrel and rabbit) i am a complete newb at this.

If we DO see deer hunters we'll just go to a totally different spot, for safety and not to scare the deer away.

Also if anyone has hunted anything at perry reservoir please do share experience. Here is the sight http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Region-2/Perry

There's a map on there at this url http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/State-Parks/Locations/Map-Page/(location)/13273/(last)/13273

I've marked the areas on my own maps that are public hunting spots. THey are colored in a brochure. I figure if we stay on the outer rims, and the smaller, 50-80 acre appendages there will be less interaction with bowhunters.  We will probably stay in the northern half, far from the actual lake. North of the city of valley falls whih lies right in the middle of the hunting area lol.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline ray40cal

Re: Need your guys and gal's input!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 09:49:38 PM »
Here is a link to the brochure its a pdf
http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:WPZQDP2sjEsJ:www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/content/download/1007/4905/file/Brochure%2520PERRY%2520RES%2520and%2520WA.pdf+perry+reservoir+brochure&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Outlines the public hunting areas in a shade of grey, i've compared this with the other map and designated some small areas already that are away from the main river bottom.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:20:01 AM »
Ray, I hunt Marshall, Washington and Nemaha Counties up in Kansas myself. There is alot of public hunting areas. Best spot I found that has no horse traffic or much hunters is North of Hwy 36 on hwy 99 two miles from the Nebraska line. Road is called Buffillo Rd. Go east on it to you see a intersection saying 31st rd. Take it south, it deadends about 1 1/2 miles in. Lot of good timber with several acres to hunt. Its right on the county line tween Marshall and Nemaha Co. And places I dont hunt is where they are allowed to ride horses. I found its way too busy and those guys get bitchy bout you shooten! Hope this helps you.
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »
Hunting public land is many times frustrating because of the non hunters, including non hunters on horseback.  :tickedoff
I have encountered quite a few and some of them have messed up my hunting. Last year my brother and I had a couple hiking and they went a long way out of their way to mess up our coyote hunting when we got set up. They watched us leave with our equipment and appeared on the scene when we were calling.  :tickedoff

they received a hint there were much better places to observe nature and hike when they showed up.  :tickedoff  :knuppel2
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:07:57 AM »
haha you sure they didnt get lured in by injured rodent calls?

TY Tnuts i will look into that area. Its in region 2 where i am  8)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:09:41 AM by ray40cal »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:23:46 AM »
haha you sure they didnt get lured in by injured rodent calls?

TY Tnuts i will look into that area. Its in region 2 where i am  8)
Yeah, they responded to a rabbit in distress call, just like other varmints respond.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:25:34 PM »
Can't help you ray, I don't hunt public land if i don't have too, I get too furstated  with people walking around me while I'm hunting.
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Facebook Comments