November 17, 2017, 05:59:24 PM

Author Topic: .223/5.56 loads  (Read 1814 times)

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
.223/5.56 loads
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:03:15 AM »
What is the premium choices for hog medicine in .223 / 5.56?

Im thinkin boat tail soft points of the 60 grain sort
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: .223/5.56 loads
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »
Are you shooting an AR?

If so that will work, what range are we talking, what kind of terrain and are you shooting open sights or scope?
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »
Are you shooting an AR?

If so that will work, what range are we talking, what kind of terrain and are you shooting open sights or scope?
I believe he's shooting a Mini-14.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 08:15:05 PM »
It will work for them too. O0 O0

If I was told correctly the two most produced rounds these days are 5.56 and 7.62. They have more combinations than you can shake a stick at.

We get our 5.56 for free, but if you go to www.cheaperthandirt.com you'll find enough 5.56 to keep you happy for a lifetime. :wink:

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
a mini14 and probably a saiga 223.   And a taurus 40 caliber pistol but that will need heavy 180 grain fmj's am i right? No hollowpoints on the pistol?

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »
You can shoot hollow point's out of your 40; they'll do fine and imho are better than fmj's for hog's.

Accuaracy is more important than anything else. Shoot different loads and find the one your Taurus handles best.

You only want to use the pistol as a close range weapon in any case, or to use to finish off a hog you've already brought down.

But be careful approaching a "dead" pig. Sometime's they're not as dead as you think!!
 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :wink:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »
  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: That would be a shock!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:36:10 PM »
They actually had a guy near Augusta almost bleed to death after he was attacked by a hog.

He was a ways off from the road and I don't recall how many rounds the pig took, but it cut a major artery in the guys leg and it was really a close call.

They got him to the hospital with only minutes to spare.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 11:26:07 PM »
i dont shoot the 40 alot anymore but it did alright with winchester fmj and gold dots. the only 180 grainers i shot out of it are win. fmj. Accurate enough to hit pint jars across a big creek with it.

Offline rdsii64

• Rookie Club Member
    • shooter64
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 02:20:57 PM »
I prefer a .308 to shoot hogs but if you must use a .223 I think you would be better off to use something that has stupid speed and won't come out the other side. I would bet any vmax bullet over the stiffest charge you can get with out pressure issues would be the best .223 bacon maker.

I personally run the 50 grain vmax over 25.9 grains of VV N150 and wolf .223 primers.
it books at 3500 fps but I have not chronographed this load yet. I do know it flies strait out to 600 yards. I know it will drop a good meat pig out to 300 at least.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I am a right wing, God Fearing, gun owning, Heterosexual male.
How else may I piss you off today
http://www.youtube.com/user/rdsii64

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64/Welcome.html

Facebook Comments