November 18, 2017, 04:53:44 AM

Author Topic: Weekend of 10/17 results......  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Nick_T

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Can I shoot one time?
Weekend of 10/17 results......
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »
Not a great morning to hunt squirrels, dang wind was a beast. Saw 7, ended up with 2 shots for me and 2 for Kevincole, come home with 4. Got a good vid of Kevincole putting the smackdown on a gray. We did gain access to an adjoining farm this morning which adds another 150ac. that we can exploit the squirrels on, mostly pecan and planted pines with some hardwood bottoms. After scouting the edge of the orchard we found some serious cutting going on and if the big fan will cut off in the morning we're going to sit on those. Not a great morning to hunt but we had a great time together. Vids will be up Monday.

Nick T

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Weekend of 10/17 results......
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
Nick, that's pretty good for a morning the wind is blowing.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »
well. some squirrels are better than no squirrel. i think squirrels like saturdays better than anyday. too bad im sick wit the flu.... :'(
go to heck peta. and lick toads while your at it.
the vpc are anti hunters, just the gun hating ones.

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »
Sorry to hear that your under the weather jonny, hope ya can get back after'm soon. Not complaining about the action this morning one bit, really supprised me that we saw as many as we did. Looks like the wind is going to continue through tomorrow, might save the new places for a more prestine day, keep them fresh. 38degs forcasted with 8MPH winds for 0800 tomorrow, looks like later next week this is supposed to neutralize a bit and get more seasonal. Us GA boys have to break out the parkas and bib overalls anytime the wind chill drops below 40degs.  :)

Nick T

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:24:58 PM »
I never see any when the wind picks up. It gets really windy sometimes here on the plains.  Better than the 4 squirrels you bagged 150 more acres thats an epic win.

I am gonna go after some this coming week, starting monday. But the wind isnt supposed to get below 15mph till thursday. =/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:27:44 PM by ray40cal »
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 08:59:03 AM »
Good going Gnick! O0  I've put squirrels on the back burner until I get my deer tags filled. :wink:  Got 2 more does to put on the ground and then I'll be back to the squirrels.

From the sounds of it, you definitely aren't hurting for squirrel hunting places down there. ;D  You may have to get a second job to pay for the ammo that you go through. ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
We skipped this morning due to the winds, but if they'll lay down a bit we'll probably try an afternoon hunt. The new place is more prone to PM hunting due to the treeline forces us to sit due east if we want to sit on the orchard edge, and in the mornings will put us staring into the sunrise. Got down to 40 this morning, quite cool for use thin skinned southerners. Maybe it'll knock down the bot-fly larve that has been pretty thick this year. Got the squirrel quarters from yesterdays hunt in the fridge soaking in salt water, going to throw them in some grease in an hour or so. Probably some mashed taters and whole corn for dinner today.

Nick T

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:10:58 AM »
I went out this morning to get some country ham out of the freezer in the barn.  Checked the temp.....  It was reading 29-30 degrees. :shock:

That feed sounds pretty good. O0  I've got a cooler of deer meat soaking outside. O0  I may have to cut off a big hunk of backstrap sometime today. ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »
Now we gotta get some more. Freekin awesome sunday brunch.

Nick T

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 01:45:59 PM »
Now we gotta get some more. Freekin awesome sunday brunch.

Nick T

You suck dude!  :tickedoff

Now I'm HONGREEE!!!  :tickedoff

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments