December 18, 2017, 07:35:36 AM

Author Topic: Another Monster KY Buck Taken Out!  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Another Monster KY Buck Taken Out!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 10:06:47 PM »
:shock:  WOW... all I can say.

That would eat at me if a buck like that was taken right up the road from me.

Yeah, you'd think that living here where I do, I would have gotten out and found a place to hunt close to home.... :roll:  Still haven't gotten around to it. ;D

I've got to drive a little bit, but I'm basically the only one who hunts on our farm. O0

Ned, they grow them that big from time to time here in KY, but they're scattered around the state.  There's been a few decent ones killed in the county I hunt in, but not many, and nothing of that size. :shock:  I saw one the year before last that was a dandy!  But as they say, they don't get that big by being stupid.  I had the .223 Rem, so I couldn't take the shot that was presented (head on).  The next weekend though I was back with the .444 Marlin. :twisted:  He didn't show up though. >:(  Go figure!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 01:58:36 AM »
Yeah, you'd think that living here where I do, I would have gotten out and found a place to hunt close to home.... :roll:  Still haven't gotten around to it. ;D

I've got to drive a little bit, but I'm basically the only one who hunts on our farm. O0

Ned, they grow them that big from time to time here in KY, but they're scattered around the state.  There's been a few decent ones killed in the county I hunt in, but not many, and nothing of that size. :shock:  I saw one the year before last that was a dandy!  But as they say, they don't get that big by being stupid.  I had the .223 Rem, so I couldn't take the shot that was presented (head on).  The next weekend though I was back with the .444 Marlin. :twisted:  He didn't show up though. >:(  Go figure!

Where are you at in Kentucky? If you don't mind me asking that is.

I have a friend that lives down there... near Cadiz.

Might have to take a little trip down to his place before next season and scope out the situation.

Might have to do some nonresident licenses if it's worth it. Especially if there's any beasts like that nearby.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »

Where are you at in Kentucky? If you don't mind me asking that is.

I have a friend that lives down there... near Cadiz.

Might have to take a little trip down to his place before next season and scope out the situation.

Might have to do some nonresident licenses if it's worth it. Especially if there's any beasts like that nearby.

I live in Spencer County, which is about 20 miles or so south-east of Louisville.  I hunt down in Marion County though (right smack in the center of the state).  Cadiz is down in the far western portion of KY, near Land Between The Lakes.  They've got some BIG deer down in the western portion of the state. :shock:  Not to mention all of the does that you care to shoot. :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
once i'm 18 i'm am moving to an enherited house in pikeville kentucky.
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 06:30:22 PM »
I live in Spencer County, which is about 20 miles or so south-east of Louisville.  I hunt down in Marion County though (right smack in the center of the state).  Cadiz is down in the far western portion of KY, near Land Between The Lakes.  They've got some BIG deer down in the western portion of the state. :shock:  Not to mention all of the does that you care to shoot. :roll:

Thanks for the information sir.

I think I'm definitely gonna have to check it out before next season.

Hell.. I got a place to stay lined up already. lol

Will have to check out all the season details and prices for nonresident  licenses and such.. got plenty of time to get it done though.  O0

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 07:45:04 PM »
Folks in Georgia have been going to Kentucky to kill big deer for the past 4 or 5 years.

Kentucky, particularly the western part has become THE place to go these days for big bucks.

Before Kentucky, the guys here with money who wanted to kill big bucks went to Illinois, but Kentucky is closer has bigger deer and allows them to use rifles whereas Illinois was bow, black powder or shotgun slugs only.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »
Thanks for the information sir.

I think I'm definitely gonna have to check it out before next season.

Hell.. I got a place to stay lined up already. lol

Will have to check out all the season details and prices for nonresident  licenses and such.. got plenty of time to get it done though.  O0

Here's a link to the KDFWR.  Here's a link to the Hunting/Trapping section where the hunting guides and such are usually housed.

Just bookmark the main F&W site for future use.  The Hunting/Trapping link is near the upper left corner of the main page. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 12:38:01 AM »
Thank you sir.. much appreciated.

Looking the site over trying to get acquainted with how it works down there.

Other than the number of deer allowed taken... it looks to be the same as up here in Va. license wise.

Annual deer hunting license plus a statewide deer permit both have to be purchased? Am I seeing that correctly? If so.. $190 total isn't too awful bad.

By the looks of it though.. yall's rifle season is short. Cadiz is in Trigg county I believe (zone 1) so rifle runs from Nov. 14th-29th.  :shock:

Rifle season up here goes from Nov. 14th through Jan. 2nd.. and we're allowed 5 deer (2 bucks, 3 does).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:43:03 AM by TK77 »

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »
Thank you sir.. much appreciated.

Looking the site over trying to get acquainted with how it works down there.

Other than the number of deer allowed taken... it looks to be the same as up here in Va. license wise.

Annual deer hunting license plus a statewide deer permit both have to be purchased? Am I seeing that correctly? If so.. $190 total isn't too awful bad.

By the looks of it though.. yall's rifle season is short. Cadiz is in Trigg county I believe (zone 1) so rifle runs from Nov. 14th-29th.  :shock:

Rifle season up here goes from Nov. 14th through Jan. 2nd.. and we're allowed 5 deer (2 bucks, 3 does).

Yep, sounds about right.  I know the $190 for the out-of-state license and the tag is correct.  That tag is good for 1 buck & 1 doe or 2 does.  You can get additional antlerless tags (unlimited number in Zone 1 counties) that are good for 2 deer each for $15.  Trigg is a Zone 1 county.

The rifle season is relatively short by some comparisons.  All of the seasons this year run:

Archery - Sept. 5 - Jan. 18
Crossbow - Oct. 1 - 18
                Nov. 14 - Dec. 31
Muzzleloader - Oct. 17 - 18
                    Dec. 12 - 20
Modern Gun - Nov. 14 - 29

Still at that, we have a pretty sizable kill.  I think the herd density statewide is estimated at right around 1 million deer.  They've been trying to figure out "how" to increase the kill, without increasing the length of the firearms season (small game hunters primarily griping out it).

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 01:34:04 PM »
Nonresidents have it good in KY! Nonresident fees north and west of you (IA, ILL, MO) are sky high.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments