November 22, 2017, 02:20:04 AM

Author Topic: are squirrels really brave?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
are squirrels really brave?
« on: October 22, 2009, 12:42:28 PM »
i ask this because a couple days ago i went to the library for a book sale. a grey squirrel stared at me. i stared back. think it was going to get him to go away. wrong. he followed me along with his posse of two squirrels. i stood my grounds finally, and they retreated to the nearest telephone pole. what was weird is that they never barked, never gave me a heads up that i was invading their territory. some time before that, i found a squirrel barking at a cat!! the aggresor was held up in a bush by a 1 lb squirrel!! he complained and barked for a half hour. than left the scared cat to escape. their small cousins have had reports of get about 10 yards to close to people. so they really do have bravery as big as their testicles!!
go to heck peta. and lick toads while your at it.
the vpc are anti hunters, just the gun hating ones.

Offline Nick_T

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Can I shoot one time?
Re: are squirrels really brave?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »
Brave, not really, more of a non-learned fear. They don't know that if under certain circumstances that they'd be centered in crosshairs and exterminated. They've come to learn that people will throw them a peanut or something if they're inquisitive enough to be seen. If ya can get by without the tree huggers spazing too bad, an airgun could be an asset to teaching them how things really are.

Nick T

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:58:26 PM »
I wouldn't trust em, that's for sure.  You turn your back on one and you might end up like ol MO in danger of getting your arm amputated.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:21:24 PM »
They must be pretty brave to harrass my pittbulls the way they do.  When i see em in the woods hunting, they arent' nearly as brave.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
I've watched squirrels tease cats, dogs, and certain death redtail hawks. Squirrels will fight like the dickens when they have to, also.

I had a pet gray squirrel that attacked and bit a pal when we were kids. The kid was at fault. I warned him not to approach any closer while the squirrel was sitting on my shoulder.

Well, that dumb city kid ignored my warnings until the fully grown gray squirrel leaped onto his shoulder and sank his teeth into the kid's neck.  :shock: ;D I had a heck of a time gettting the squirrel off the kid as the kid was jumping around and hollering.  ;D

Another pet, a fully grown fox squirrel, used to play with our pet coyote. Their play was a full blown rampage in the house until my wife broke up the insanity. A few minutes later, the romp would begin again.  :shock: ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »
I think a grey squirrel could take a fox squirrel 1 on 1. The grey is fast enough to make the fox squirrel think he's surrounded.

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 09:33:53 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D but yeah I don't think squirrelz are brave just stupid :uglystupid2 :D
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
I think a grey squirrel could take a fox squirrel 1 on 1. The grey is fast enough to make the fox squirrel think he's surrounded.
Folks claim that's true. I think it's actually what area the different breeds of squirrels prefer. We usually find fox squirrels on the outskirts of woods bordering on cornfields. They seem to have an active appetite for corn. If no cornfields, they seem to occupy older stand and large trees on the outside 1/3rd of the woods and more open areas of woods.
Brushy areas are almost always inhabited by mostly grays and few fox squirrels.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:42 AM »
The property i hunt seems evenly dispursed between fox and grays.  But i do notice more fox squirrels by the creekbeds, and the greys are further into the woods.  On the south end is where the two creeks connect and form sort of a V, or Y shape and they seem to be 50/50 fox/grey there.  There is a soybean/corn field west of the property, but i dont have permission to hunt on it. I might ask but the corn field is right next to an intersection between a county road, and where a gravel road turns into a trafficway and the city limit starts.  If i find some property to hunt south of that intersection i wont need to use a pellet plinker.  ???

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 11:40:08 AM »
I rarely find a fox squirrel in the woods around here, they're usually either on the edge or more commonly out in the middle of the pecan orchards. The grays are the woods dwellers, every now and then you'll catch one a few rows deep into an orchard but very rarely out in the middle. Alot of the true fox squirrel hunts we go on is just part the truck in the middle of the orchard and sit in the heat listening to the radio until one hits the ground moving from tree to tree. Our gray squirrel hunts are most the time finding by scouting pecans on the edges with alot of cutting, then go in the next day and sitting where we can watch those or that tree.

I agree on the fox v/s gray comment, the grays speed would out do the fox's size.

Nick T

Facebook Comments