November 23, 2017, 11:40:15 AM

Author Topic: Try This Question On for Size.  (Read 6437 times)

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: Try This Question On for Size.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
Last time i checked deer and bear had fur to
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline johndeere540

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
I say turkey. But I don't think i would consider a javelin as big game cause if i remember correct it is actually part of the rodent family i read somewhere. Same as a peccary.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »
Last time i checked deer and bear had fur to
Yes we all got hair, but you dont set traps (legally) to catch deer and bear, moose and elk, pronhorn and goats! (except) pigs,and they shouldnt be classed with big game, theres not a regular season for them!
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 06:25:02 AM »
Why is it nutz has to make a simple question that asks opions so complicated. and my opion is still bobcat
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 08:05:29 AM »
Yeh, bobcats and lions.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 08:26:48 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree with nutz on this one. :shock:

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 09:38:01 AM »
Turkeys I would classify as big game, but hogs.... both yes and no.  Regular domestic hogs that have gone wild, no.  Russian boars, yes.

Turkeys are kind of on the borderline though.  I think a lot of it has to do with the bag limits.  Stuff with a high bag limit people don't generally classify as "big game" (even though they may be 'big'), whereas stuff where you can only take 1-2 animals are generally classified as big game.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure javelina aren't rodents. They have hooves and that would tend to eliminate them from the rat family.

Hunters call them javelina, but their real name is peccary. The one's found in the US are called collared peccary. There is a subspecies in Mexico and central america called the white lip peccary.

I've hunted the collared in Texas and seen the white lip in Mexico and can't really tell them apart.

I guess what I was going for here is that size is not always an indicator on what different states call their game animals.

The county in Texas I killed my javelina in considered them non-game. But, two counties over they were game animals.

I think giving turkey big game status has more to do with money for licenses and perceptions from people who hunt them than anything else.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:13:05 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:29:50 AM »
I agree with bo, a man of great wisdom.  O0
 I don't consider turkeys as big game. In fact, I detest them. But, I know I am a minority with this opinion. I would classify them as varmints and you could shoot them like regular varmints.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
Hey now! they make great salad sanmichs! O0 But yes I consider them as foul! Not in the big game cookbook! O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Facebook Comments