November 20, 2017, 07:50:42 PM

Author Topic: Safety Advisory for .17 HMR Semi-Autos  (Read 7235 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Safety Advisory for .17 HMR Semi-Autos
« on: November 02, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
Safety Advisory for .17 HMR Semi-Autos

Ammunition manufacturers caution that the .17 HMR is unsafe for use in semi-auto firearms.

By Paul Rackley, Associate Online Shooting Editor

Major ammunition manufacturers have issued safety notices concerning the use of .17 HMR ammunition in semi-auto firearms. According to the manufacturers, firing .17 HMR ammo in semi-auto firearms could result in property damage or serious personal injury and should be immediately discontinued.

CCI, Federal, Hornady, Remington and Winchester have all issued statements warning consumers not to use .17 HMR ammunition in semi-auto firearms until contacting the manufacture to determine if the specific type of firearm is safe to handle .17 HMR ammunition.

Press releases concerning the safety notices state: "17 HMR ammunition is manufactured in accordance with standards issued by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactures' Institute (SAAMI). Subsequent to the design and introduction of 17 HMR ammunition in the market, 17 HMR semi-automatic firearms were introduced by various firearm manufacturers. Those firearms have proven to be incompatible with 17 HMR ammunition. 17 HMR ammunition is suitable for use in quality firearms in good condition that are not semi-automatic."

Remington has issued a recall of its .17 HMR ammunition, as well as its Model 597 .17 HMR semi-auto rifle as there is no safe .17 HMR ammunition available for the rifle.

Remington is providing free shipping to return Model 597 .17 HMR semi-auto rifles to Remington along with coupons to replace the rifle with another Remington firearm. Consumers will receive a $200 coupon for synthetic stock Model 597 rifles, and a $250 coupon for laminate stock Model 597 rifles.

Remington is also providing $10 coupons to purchase Remington ammunition for every 50 round box of Remington .17 HMR ammunition returned to Remington.

For instructions on returning a Remington Model 597 .17 HMR semi-auto rifle or .17 HMR ammunition, contact the Remington Consumer Service Department at (800) 243-9700, prompt No. 3.

Courtesy of [urlhttp://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?cid=30&id=1927]American Rifleman[/url]
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Safety Advisory for .17 HMR Semi-Autos
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:08:29 AM »
too bad its not good for semi autos. if the guns gonna blow up or something on me, id just stick with .22 LR.
go to heck peta. and lick toads while your at it.
the vpc are anti hunters, just the gun hating ones.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
too bad its not good for semi autos. if the guns gonna blow up or something on me, id just stick with .22 LR.
The problem is in the rifles and not the ammo.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »
The problem is in the rifles and not the ammo.
anthing could go wrong cause theres different actions that the .17 hasnt been seen in. also, its intended for varmint applications not for squirrels. its expensive to get and feed. in my opnion, .17 should not be used to confuse begginers and peta worshipers.

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:19:27 PM »
Dang, and I've been drooling over one of those Magnum Research HMR autos.

Nick T

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »
Dang, and I've been drooling over one of those Magnum Research HMR autos.

Nick T

If the gun is designed for it, then there isn't a problem.  O0

anthing could go wrong cause theres different actions that the .17 hasnt been seen in. also, its intended for varmint applications not for squirrels. its expensive to get and feed. in my opnion, .17 should not be used to confuse begginers and peta worshipers.

If you had done your research on this before speaking, you would know that the main problem with this is where people convert .22 WMR into .17 HMR by changing the barrel.

Also, I'm curious as to why you say that they're for varmints and not for squirrels.  Cite your source please.  And just what kind of "varmints" would you be talking about?  Again, if you had done research on it before speaking, you would have found that squirrel hunting is the primary application for the .17 HMR.

The .17 HMR is more expensive than .22 cartridges, yes.  But the accuracy is greater, and over a longer distance than .22's.  With the increased accuracy and longer range, you end up shooting less in the long run.  I've killed 6 squirrels this year, with 6 shots.  How many people that shoot .22's can say that?

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »
If the gun is designed for it, then there isn't a problem.  O0

If you had done your research on this before speaking, you would know that the main problem with this is where people convert .22 WMR into .17 HMR by changing the barrel.

Also, I'm curious as to why you say that they're for varmints and not for squirrels.  Cite your source please.  And just what kind of "varmints" would you be talking about?  Again, if you had done research on it before speaking, you would have found that squirrel hunting is the primary application for the .17 HMR.

The .17 HMR is more expensive than .22 cartridges, yes.  But the accuracy is greater, and over a longer distance than .22's.  With the increased accuracy and longer range, you end up shooting less in the long run.  I've killed 6 squirrels this year, with 6 shots.  How many people that shoot .22's can say that?

so now youre saying that .22s arent accurate? my dad has told me about him getting eye shots on squirrels quite far away. and the website i got this from is gone. but .17 is only for varmints like ground hogs prarie dogs and jackrabbits. besides, a .17 scoped with expensive optics is for fat, lazy people who alert the whole forest when they go hunting.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:33:12 PM »
You better ease up on the "fat, lazy people" stuff kid.  You need to grow up a whole lot and listen more than speak right now at your age.  You might actually learn something.

The .17 HMR is a good groundhog round, but it will fall short on prairie dogs due to the ranges that they're normally shot at.  Jackrabbits, it may also be good at.  I don't know and haven't heard of very many, if anyone, using them for that.  For squirrels though, they are deadly and is the primary animal that they are used on.

As far as your dad, I don't know what he's capable of or the shots that he has made.  All I can attest to is all of the research and testing performed by EXPERTS on firearms and ballistics.  The .17 HMR is without a doubt, more accurate than a .22 LR or .22 WMR.  Both the .22 LR & WMR are accurate to a certain extent, but due to the bullet design of the .17, they just can't compete with it.

If you can't accept that and keep wanting to insult people, then you might want to go find another sandbox to play in.  Disagreeing with someone is one thing, but if you're going to insult people and get personal, then it's best you go somewhere else.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:51 PM »
You better ease up on the "fat, lazy people" stuff kid.  You need to grow up a whole lot and listen more than speak right now at your age.  You might actually learn something.

The .17 HMR is a good groundhog round, but it will fall short on prairie dogs due to the ranges that they're normally shot at.  Jackrabbits, it may also be good at.  I don't know and haven't heard of very many, if anyone, using them for that.  For squirrels though, they are deadly and is the primary animal that they are used on.

As far as your dad, I don't know what he's capable of or the shots that he has made.  All I can attest to is all of the research and testing performed by EXPERTS on firearms and ballistics.  The .17 HMR is without a doubt, more accurate than a .22 LR or .22 WMR.  Both the .22 LR & WMR are accurate to a certain extent, but due to the bullet design of the .17, they just can't compete with it.

If you can't accept that and keep wanting to insult people, then you might want to go find another sandbox to play in.  Disagreeing with someone is one thing, but if you're going to insult people and get personal, then it's best you go somewhere else.
oh no! some body else hijacked the computer and posted that. not me. it happens when i go away to do something and leave the computer unattended to about 3 people.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »
I recommend you lock up your computer when you're not with it & find out who almost got you into some pretty hot water.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Facebook Comments