November 22, 2017, 09:43:03 AM

Author Topic: Safety Advisory for .17 HMR Semi-Autos  (Read 7269 times)

Offline flatland

Re: Safety Advisory for .17 HMR Semi-Autos
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 11:34:41 PM »
I use a Marlin 917VS with a 17gr HP for hunting squirrel, it is a great round. I also use a Marlin 25MN .22 WMR at times. I have much respect for both rounds and have shot both hundreds of rounds .22WMR more like thousands... Both are close to about 100 yards. But after 100 yards the .17 holds much closer groups. I hunt with a scope on both guns, mainly because I am shooting from one hill top to the other some times 125 + yards. ( by the way I do most of my hunting in south west Tn.) So it is small hills there.Out of 10 shots with the .17 I may miss 1 @ 100 yards and with the .22 WMR 2 to 3 at 100 yards. Not saying all my shots are at that distance but with the land layout on the farm where the hickory trees and the Black walnuts are it kinda puts you in both of the best places to be and if I can see it I will try to reach out and touch it. I have also taken a Coyote at over 150 yds with the .17. So with what I have seen of the round I don't think a 22LR can hold up any where close to the .17 for distance and accuracy. As for closer range knock down power the 40gr .22 has more. It will probably boil down to personal preference. Just my 2 cents.   Paul

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 08:51:02 AM »
I use a Marlin 917VS with a 17gr HP for hunting squirrel, it is a great round. I also use a Marlin 25MN .22 WMR at times. I have much respect for both rounds and have shot both hundreds of rounds .22WMR more like thousands... Both are close to about 100 yards. But after 100 yards the .17 holds much closer groups. I hunt with a scope on both guns, mainly because I am shooting from one hill top to the other some times 125 + yards. ( by the way I do most of my hunting in south west Tn.) So it is small hills there.Out of 10 shots with the .17 I may miss 1 @ 100 yards and with the .22 WMR 2 to 3 at 100 yards. Not saying all my shots are at that distance but with the land layout on the farm where the hickory trees and the Black walnuts are it kinda puts you in both of the best places to be and if I can see it I will try to reach out and touch it. I have also taken a Coyote at over 150 yds with the .17. So with what I have seen of the round I don't think a 22LR can hold up any where close to the .17 for distance and accuracy. As for closer range knock down power the 40gr .22 has more. It will probably boil down to personal preference. Just my 2 cents.   Paul
  O0 That's a good way to put it as for hunting with rimfires, flatland.
Most of us that hunt with the HMR use the VMax and have good results. I've killed squirrels out to at least 150 yards with my .17. One, I took the top of a fox squirrel's head off while he was running aound in a tree in a pasture.  :twisted: He stopped just long enough for me to spot just the top of his head and sque-e-e-e-e-ze the trigger.  :twisted: :)
I didn't realize it at the time I shot, but my hunting pal was watching from a some distance behind and was greatly entertained while watching me. He was on his first hunt with his brand new Marlin .17HMR and was really impressed with how .17s shoot.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline flatland

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »
Exactly! It really depends on your hunting area, some of use have to make longer shots due to terrain we hunt. When I hunt here in Florida. I will some time's break out my Grandpa's old Remington model 12 pump .22 loaded with shorts. Because I know most of my shots will be less than 50 yards mainly because of the heavy underbrush we have down here. But the way I look at it, A bad day hunting with a bad gun, is better than a good day at work!!!  O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »
I was perfectly happy hunting with .22 rifles until the .17 came onto the market and I had the opportunity to shoot one.

It sold me on the big plus factors as soon as I put a few downrange. That itsybitsy group 100 yards away was just what every squirrel hunter could desire. We were shooting my son's M77 off his back deck, premium dad and son time.  O0

Son Casey, youngest of three sons, has always been a gun owner since a very young age. He and his family know their firearms and shooting, beginning at very young ages.

I will be happy when the firearm industry gets the semi auto HMR problems straightened out and get some decent priced rifles on the market.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »
I put a gray DRT at 108yds with my old Mod 60 Saturday morning  :twisted: , so I'll 86 the HMR for now  O0 . I got prone, had a good rest on a pecan tree root, and waited 'til he stood on his hind legs, put the cross hairs just over his ears and smacked him through the shoulders. My boy was sitting beside me, he just started laughing and said "I ain't believin that crap!"  ;D

Nick T

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »
I put a gray DRT at 108yds with my old Mod 60 Saturday morning  :twisted: , so I'll 86 the HMR for now  O0 . I got prone, had a good rest on a pecan tree root, and waited 'til he stood on his hind legs, put the cross hairs just over his ears and smacked him through the shoulders. My boy was sitting beside me, he just started laughing and said "I ain't believin that crap!"  ;D

Nick T

:roll: :roll:    :roll: :roll:

;D ;D ;D

See, the difference would have been, you put the crosshairs between the ears with an HMR, and you hit between the ears. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »
:roll: :roll:    :roll: :roll:

;D ;D ;D

See, the difference would have been, you put the crosshairs between the ears with an HMR, and you hit between the ears. O0

;D

Hey, I'll admit it was about 70/30 skill to luck. But it sure felt good to see his smacked down with that little .22.

O0

Nick T

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 04:53:23 PM »
;D

Hey, I'll admit it was about 70/30 skill to luck. But it sure felt good to see his smacked down with that little .22.

O0

Nick T

I think you either have those numbers or words reversed.  :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
I think you either have those numbers or words reversed.  :roll:

Can't I atleast have my moment of self induced greatness without anyone trying to ruin it?

;D

Nick T

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 12:20:21 AM »
MAYBE when BC goes on vacation. The rest of us just aren't usually quick enough to seize the opportunity like he does.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments