December 14, 2017, 07:41:43 PM

Author Topic: Safety Advisory for .17 HMR Semi-Autos  (Read 7324 times)

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Safety Advisory for .17 HMR Semi-Autos
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 09:06:47 PM »
I recommend you lock up your computer when you're not with it & find out who almost got you into some pretty hot water.
dont worry i already got him.
go to heck peta. and lick toads while your at it.
the vpc are anti hunters, just the gun hating ones.

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
I agree only old bums who aint good enuf to get closer use them glorified bb guns
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 10:03:57 PM »
So now we have gremlins hacking onto our board?
 :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Did I ever tell y'all about the time I killed an elephant with my pubic hair?

200 yard shot at least!
 :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 07:12:32 AM »
.17 is for people who like long range shots. not so here. so i do have a good ability to get close to squirrels. so .17s arent good for close range situations because most people top them with heavy and thick optics that are a pain in the arse to get off. you never know when a stupid squirrel will pop up in front of you. and if you dont have a scope and have to take longer range shots, squirrels wil just bust open when you shoot them with the .17 .shoot them with a .22 and there will be very little damage. sometimes there will be time you just cant trust these so-called "experts" when all there trying to do is get you to buy their companys stuff.
go to heck peta. and lick toads while your at it.
the vpc are anti hunters, just the gun hating ones.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 09:10:24 AM »
I agree only old bums who aint good enuf to get closer use them glorified bb guns
  :tickedoff :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2  ;D
.17 is for people who like long range shots. not so here. so i do have a good ability to get close to squirrels. so .17s arent good for close range situations because most people top them with heavy and thick optics that are a pain in the arse to get off. you never know when a stupid squirrel will pop up in front of you. and if you dont have a scope and have to take longer range shots, squirrels wil just bust open when you shoot them with the .17 .shoot them with a .22 and there will be very little damage. sometimes there will be time you just cant trust these so-called "experts" when all there trying to do is get you to buy their comp anys stuff.
Yeh? True, many "gun writers" just want to sell what they write and sell what they wriite about, but the .17 is a proven all around small game round.
And I bet I can still outsneak you on squirrels.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »
The terrain has nothing to do with whether or not someone chooses a .17.  It's personal preference.  Some people like to take .243's for deer, other people will only take a .300 Win Mag, while still others will choose a different caliber.

The point is, unless you've hunted with one and have experience shooting one, you can't form an educated opinion of one.  It's just like with anything else, unless you've got experience with it, you really don't know for sure.

As for the gun writers, the 2 main ones I listen to are Dick Metcalf and David Petzel.  They work for magazines, not any gun or ammo companies.  They've also been at it long enough to know their stuff. O0

I like the .17 HMR because of the accuracy.  I like to hit exactly where I'm aiming, and at any distance.  You can do that with the .17.  You can't do that with a .22.  I've made greasy spots of errant flies that have landed on my targets when I've been shooting the .17.  Never could do that with a .22.

As for the "heavy glass" on the rifles..... :roll:  Again, unless you know for certain, you really shouldn't say anything about it.  I've got a 3.8 - 12 x 44 on the .17 HMR.  If you get an adjustable scope now days for squirrels, 9 times out of 10 it's going to be a 3-9 x 40 at least (you can't hardly find a 32 mm objective anymore).  The difference in weight between one of those and my scope is negligable. :roll:

As for the damage, with a .22 you may have to try body shots because of the reduced accuracy.  With the .17, you can shoot all of them in the head, which is going to be cut off anyway.  So, if anything, you waste more meat with a .22 than you do a .17.

It all comes down to personal preference.  The little .22 LR has killed more squirrels than probably will ever be killed with a .17.  Just as the .30-30 and .30-06 have killed more deer than probably all other calibers combined.  Do people still use other calibers for deer?  Yes.  Is there anything wrong with someone that wants to use a different caliber for deer?  No.  As long as something is legal, then it shouldn't matter to anyone else what that person uses. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »
As BC states it comes down to personal preference. I like knowing I can get dime size groups at 100 yds, maybe further. Can I actually see a squirrel at 100 yds? Probably not with these old eyes, and definately not without my glasses. But knowing I can pick the hair on any squirrel I do see, made it a worthy investment for me.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
If the gun is designed for it, then there isn't a problem.  O0

I kinda wonder if the MR/HMRs are actually designed for the round. The action looks very much like the 10/22 Magnum action.

One day I might break down and get me one mainly for late season hunts, but I'll have to stay with the .22s as my mainstay. The cost of HMR shells alone would break my budget.  :)

Nick T

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »
Ah yes!!!

I remember when I was a kid and was an expert on everything......

I read and then plagerized! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 09:06:11 PM »
Ah yes!!!

I remember when I was a kid and was an expert on everything......

I read and then plagerized! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kids now days don't even do that. :roll:  They just mouth off without knowing anything. ;D :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments