November 21, 2017, 01:23:53 AM

Author Topic: gonna go upland game hunting!!  (Read 1239 times)

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
gonna go upland game hunting!!
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »
ohio's official upland game season season is going to start this weekend. i will hunt with a .410 shotgun. any tips before i hunt rabbit,squirrel,crow,starling, and phesant?
go to heck peta. and lick toads while your at it.
the vpc are anti hunters, just the gun hating ones.

Offline johndeere540

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
Re: gonna go upland game hunting!!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:29:07 PM »
ohio's official upland game season season is going to start this weekend. i will hunt with a .410 shotgun. any tips before i hunt rabbit,squirrel,crow,starling, and phesant?
If you use a .410 I would suggest a full choke with 3 inch 4 or 6 loads. I use a .410 alot on rabbits and without these options it does not pack much of a punch. When possible always provide a humane kill for the animal. My feeling is that a .410 is not enough gun for a crow. Most shots are 20 yards or more and flying. A crow can be a pretty tough bird kinda like geese.

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »
If you use a .410 I would suggest a full choke with 3 inch 4 or 6 loads. I use a .410 alot on rabbits and without these options it does not pack much of a punch. When possible always provide a humane kill for the animal. My feeling is that a .410 is not enough gun for a crow. Most shots are 20 yards or more and flying. A crow can be a pretty tough bird kinda like geese.
dont worry im using one that uses 3 inch mags.

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »
Its kinda expensive here but see if you can make some trips to the trap range. It helps a lot for upland.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline jonnythehunter1

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
i had that same idea!!! except my mom dosent want to go....... im using #6 shot.

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »
Ahh, most skeet ranges only allow 7 - 8 shot i think.

Rabbits can be hard to hit, they wont always run until you're about a foot away, and rarely in a straight line. If you scare one up try to resist just blasting in his general direction, put a little lead ahead of his face and squeeeze teh trigger dont pull it.   Thats why skeet and trap helps out i know rabbits dont fly through the air, but you can practice leading ahead of the little target and timing the trigger squeeze.

I've never hunted pheasant or crow - i've shot some crows with a pellet gun but never really hunted them.  THey are pretty big so be mindfull of the distance and the spread of the shot.  And be safe, everybody wear orange when you go rabbit blasting.  Dont let people get too far ahead and stay at least 100 yards away from dick cheney.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Facebook Comments