October 21, 2017, 10:03:28 AM

Author Topic: I couldn't help myself.  (Read 2965 times)

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
I couldn't help myself.
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:12:08 AM »
I've been wanting to pick up a new rifle for a good while now... so as I always do when it's new rifle time.. I flooded my brain with info on all the new rifles out there.

So for the last 2 months or so I've been reading about the new (well.. new for 09) Marlin XS7  bolt action rifles.. which are just short action versions of the XL7s that have been out for a year or two now. My brain is successfully flooded.. I now know more about these rifles than the guys at the gun shops around here do.

I decided to go with an XS7 in 308 Winchester. Only problem was.. they are a damn hard rifle to find and are selling like hotcakes. After 2 or 3 weeks of searching I finally hit the jackpot and hooked up on one at Gander Mountain. Ordered it Friday.

I'm really excited to get this gun since it will be my first 308. I'm hoping it gets here and I can get it sighted in in time to hunt with it this season.. which starts on the 14th of this month and runs all the way to January 2nd.

I probably shouldv'e posted this in the firearms category.. but I figured since I'm gonna try to hunt with it this season I'd post it here. Any deer I kill with it will be posted about in this thread too.. so it all works out.  O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: I couldn't help myself.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:49:12 AM »
Good luck with the new .308, TK!  O0
That round is pleasant to shoot and is very accurate, as you know.
I've never owned a .308 but have fired and qualified with .308 sniper rifles and have always liked them. Our first sniper rifles were M77 Rugers.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:21:52 AM »
Awesome, i've been trying to decide between getting a mosin soon enough for our deer season, or a .308 saiga for a deer gun. How much do the XS7's cost?
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:40:16 AM »
Excellent choice man! O0  I've been thinking about getting one of those Marlins myself.  My understanding on the rifles is that you're not going to find a better rifle anywhere near the price.  To some extent, they aren't as "aesthetically pleasing" as some other rifles, but they aren't anywhere near the price either.  For the feature and accuracy that they have, you're not going to go wrong.  O0

Let us know how the beast shoots when you get it.  :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
How much do the XS7's cost?

Right at about $300, which isn't bad for what all you get. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
Excellent choice man! O0  I've been thinking about getting one of those Marlins myself.  My understanding on the rifles is that you're not going to find a better rifle anywhere near the price.  To some extent, they aren't as "aesthetically pleasing" as some other rifles, but they aren't anywhere near the price either.  For the feature and accuracy that they have, you're not going to go wrong.  O0

Let us know how the beast shoots when you get it.  :)

Yes sir.. around $300 depending on where you get one at. Gander Mountain had the regular XL7s in 270 and 30-06 for $329 and a youth model XS7 in 7mm-08 for $319 for plain black synthetic stocked versions. I waited for about 3 weeks or so and was just about to give up on a 308 and get a 270 when 3 308s showed up at their distributor.

What they had was the XS7C... which is the camo stocked version.. but at that point it didn't really matter to me. I was just really happy one showed up somewhere. The camo stock knocked the price up to $369 total.

From what I've been hearing and reading about these rifles.. $369 is still a damn good deal.

As far as the Marlins not being as aesthetically pleasing.. I think they're as good if not better looking than most rifles in the same price range out there. And I have yet to read or hear anything bad about them. Very accurate rifles.

Have you handled one yet BC?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
Nah, haven't been able to get my grubby paws on one yet.  >:(

From what I've read about them, and the pictures I've seen, it's pretty much a plain Jane rifle.  The major thing that distracts from the looks is the barrel nut, but even that isn't that bad from what I've seen. :wink:

I'm partial to Marlin rifles anyway......... :wink:........... so it's just a matter of time before I get one of them.  Marlin, when they were designing the rifle, didn't try to reinvent the wheel.  They borrowed ideas from several different existing rifles and combined it all into one. O0  In doing all of this, they tried to strike a balance between quality and affordability.  I think they pretty well did it too. O0  Just like with the barrel nut, though it doesn't look the best in the world, with the adjustability of it, head spacing is precise. :)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »
Agreed... they succeeded. This rifle is pretty much the best of all worlds combined.

Plain jane though... I don't know. Compared to other rifles in it's price range.. it looks pretty darn good.

I agree.. Marlin borrowed all of the best features of rifles these days and ran with it. Barrel  nut which may fit Savage barrels.. and the Pro Fire trigger.. which is like an accutrigger only better I hear.

Hopefully I made the right decision... I believe I did.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:12:37 AM by TK77 »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:41:25 AM »
It sounds like a real good setup for $300. Even though they borrow ideas from other guns, it's the end result the counts.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:47:37 PM »
Got the call today. Marlin XS7C arrived at the Gander Mountain.  O0

Kinda caught me off guard... I didn't think it would get here that quick.

Can't pick it up till next weekend due to unexpected low funds.

Luckily gun season runs all the way till January 2nd here so I'll get to hunt with it before it's all said and done.

I'll let yall know how she shoots.  ;D

Facebook Comments