October 24, 2017, 07:23:02 AM

Author Topic: The buzzards are circling...  (Read 2446 times)

april

The buzzards are circling...
« on: October 23, 2003, 08:25:01 PM »
Dang!  Where IS everyone?  How many people still come here?

Oh well, since I got ya'lls attention, may as well ask a question, huh?
(besides the 2 I already asked.. :roll: )

Ya'll ever seen an animal (be it deer, squirrel, whatever) that was down right weird, before?

On a club I was in once, we had a doe we called "Floppy Ear Doe" , and it had mule-like floppy ears (we didn't get inventive with the name, did we? :)  )

We also had an old doe that had a solid white face.  (I reckon it's cause she was pretty old...ya think?) It would be down right eerie to watch her glowing face come out of the bushes during a winter sundown.
I bet you already know what we called her, huh?  You betcha..."White Faced Doe"... :roll: .

We decided not to shoot either one, though.

What about ya'll?  Sound off (and for pete's sake, have fun with it!)

Oh yeah...P.S. ...I once saw a dog that had a plastic jug for a head.  No lie. :P

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 08:47:33 PM »
That was my lost dog, "JUGHEAD"!  Hehe  What do ya'll take in a thermos on your club?  ... hmmmm.... must be some STRONG coffee  hehe  :lol:

I know what you mean about the buzzards.  We've gotta stir this crowd up a little!   :D  Our site stats show the hits, so I think we've got some people lurking out there that aren't posting.  Time to wake 'em up!  :P
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

april

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 10:00:39 PM »
teehee, gutpiles.....
   We like our coffee with a little bite! :wink:

And for everyone else....WAKE UP!   :D

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 11:15:18 PM »
hey april, we're all still kickin' here. i visit here about every night or every other. sometimes i play pool on yahoo. it's hard to stay here all the time cuz i loose track of time. ya know' sit down  at 8 or 9 and before you know it, it's 2 or 3 in the morning! let's all have fun and visit often. :D  :D
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 11:54:37 PM »
Hadn't really seen anything that weird, except for a doe that would LOOK for hunters.  She would come around that hill and would be scanning the trees.  Didn't matter where you were or how high you were, she would spot you. :x   Then, she would back off about 50-60 yds and blow for the rest of the time that you were there (during bow season).  That old b***h ruined mine and my uncle's hunting for quite some time, that is until my uncle got tired of it and "took care" of her! :D  :D  :D   I won't go into the specifics as to exactly how he got rid of her, but the quality of our hunting greatly increased after that. :oops:  This was about 15 years ago.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

april

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 02:54:46 AM »
Good job, Big58cal!  I'd of done the same thing.....

and

Hey Southern sun!

Offline Jen

• Gut Pile Club Member
    • Matahota Ranch, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 07:30:03 PM »
:lol: I'm still here, guys!  Not many other places that I wanna be!  Just wish I didn't have to be to work at 4 in the mornin! :cry:   oh well, another day another dollar(that I give to the tax man)LOLOLOLOL
Jen :wink:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 10:44:55 PM »
I work on a 19,000 acre US Army owned installation, and we have more deer than we need! I saw one buck last May that still had his antlers, a nice 11 pointer. Something isn't right with that deer! Another buck has only one antler every year, and it is more like a straight horn out of his one side of his head. Our land manager says it must be from an injury at one time. He has no answer about the buck that still has his rack in late spring. I have seen the late rack buck, usually in the spring, for 4 years now, and I don't think he sheds. How the heck is this possible, hormones? Or is it really a messed up doe?  :?:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 06:30:14 AM »
Sounds like it's hormones, one way or another.  If it's a doe, she's got enough testosterone in her system to cause her to grow antlers, but maybe keeps that high level enough not to shed.  If it's a buck, again hormones.  Photoperiodism (amount of daylight) triggers both increases and decreases in testosterone levels, which cause deer to grow antlers, shed velvet, and eventually shed the antlers.

Most deer that I've seen that either keep velvet year-round or don't shed their antlers are because they've had something happen to their testicles.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 08:04:36 AM »
Thanks, Bigcal58, that cleared up something I have been wondering about. We see a lot of interesting things where I work. A few years ago HQ sent me to capture a cottimundi that was spotted. HERE IN IOWA! I took the capture stick and box in my patrol vehicle and did manage to capture it. You ought NOT to have a large male coti on the end of a stick! They don't know if it rode in on a train, or what. I had the hard cardboard box in the backseat of my vehicle and was headed back to HQ when one of my fellow officers asked me ommmn the radio what I would do if the coti got out of the box. I told him, "Rolling or not, I'm stepping out, he's driving!" I had to capture a large bever once. That was easier. I just finally(and he was one of the rare biters)got him by the tail and tossed him in my trunk, and hauled to to one of our lakes. Then I just popped the trunk and let him crawl out. Also in the mix were some injured owls and hawks. I have my own system that works good for that. I just throw a rag over their heads, the rest is easy. Big injured stuff we just shoot.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments