December 11, 2017, 11:40:05 PM

Author Topic: Some more big KY deer  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Some more big KY deer
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
Been finding a few more pictures every here and there.......
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Some more big KY deer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
Here's another one. :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »
 :shock: :shock: Big Kentucky bucks keep piling up.

If all goes well.. I'll be taking a crack at one next season.  O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »
If all goes well.. I'll be taking a crack at one next season.  O0

Let's hope you can! O0  If nothing else, make sure that you put in for the quota hunts.  There's essentially 4 different ones that can be applied for..........

1.  The state WMA quota hunts
2.  Bluegrass Army Depot
3.  Ft. Knox Military Installation
4.  Ft. Campbell Military Installation

On the state WMA hunts, there's several WMA's scattered throughout the state that you can apply for.  Depending upon which one(s) you pick, you could get drawn that year, or it may take several years to get drawn. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »
Well I was talking about at my friends place in Trigg county.

I've already talked to him about it and it's on for next season.  O0

But those hunts sound cool too. Can nonresident hunters get in on those with no problem.. or are there certain requirements that go along with it?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
Well I was talking about at my friends place in Trigg county.

I've already talked to him about it and it's on for next season.  O0

But those hunts sound cool too. Can nonresident hunters get in on those with no problem.. or are there certain requirements that go along with it?

Yeah, I remember you talking about your buddy, but might as well take full advantage of things too. O0

Non-residents can apply, just like anyone else.  I don't know how Ft. Knox & Ft. Campbell are, but Bluegrass Army Depot is a pain to get drawn for and security there is pretty tight (it's where they store the chemical weapons).  If you do get drawn, you have to pass a background check.

Some of the WMA hunts are pretty easy to get drawn for, while others take a while.  If you apply and don't get drawn (on the WMA hunts), you get a preference point for the next year.  Sometimes it takes 5-6 preference points to get drawn for some of the hunts.  The best thing to do on the WMA hunts is to get a party of 4 guys to go together and apply.  If any 1 of the 4 of you get drawn, all 4 go. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
Here's a brute of an 8 pt taken in Webster Co. :shock:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »
And a Fleming County beast........

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »
BC... thank you for the info sir.  O0

I just looked on the Virgina dgif website and saw we have alot of those kinds of hunts up here too.

Weird.. I never did look into these before.

I guess I always just stick to what I know in my area... and a couple counties in Southern Virginia.

Might have to look into this more and start applying for some of these next year.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »
Not a problem. O0

I used to apply for the hunts and have hunted all over the state.  I haven't applied in several years though since I usually don't know what I'm doing from one weekend to the next. :-\  But the boy is getting big enough now that he can start going with me, and I can start putting him in for some Youth-Only hunts. O0 :twisted:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments