October 22, 2017, 09:54:37 AM

Author Topic: 3-Legged Deer  (Read 797 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
3-Legged Deer
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:58:36 PM »
I swapped out the memory card in the camera yesterday afternoon before I came out of the woods.  When I got home last night I started going through the pictures, deleting the ones of just coons and squirrels. >:(  Started out with 446 pictures, but after taking out the coons & squirrels, I was left with 63. :tickedoff

Anyway, as I was going through them, I got pictures of a different little buck.  I was mainly looking at his antlers and thought, "That one side is pretty screwed up."  Then I happened to notice "why" the one side was screwed up.  He was missing a leg! :shock:  Once I saw that, I started going back through the previous pictures to see if I could get a better look at the side.  No such luck.  Below are the 2 best pictures I've got showing that he's only got 3 legs.

Usually, when a deer has an injury to one side of their body, the opposite side of their antlers will be screwed up.  In this case, his left front leg is missing, so the right antler is deformed.  The little feller looks to only be 1.5 years old, so he was either born that way or lost his leg when he was a fawn.  Doesn't look like it's affecting him too much though. O0

I've had the camera sitting in this spot since 10/25 and these were the first pictures I've got of him, so he was probably just passing through.  Hope he makes it to next year.  If he does and I see him up there, he'll make a pretty unique trophy. O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
Re: 3-Legged Deer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 09:21:39 PM »
Wow thats cool!
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline marcus

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
does not seem to be affecting him much. That is cool. When on a drive last week I saw 4 deer in a group running full gait. one of them I noticed had only 3 legs and she seemed to be keeping up just fine deer have an incredible will to live. I swear the buck I shot last week was dead after the first slug hit him and tore his lungs to shreds   but he managed to run 200 yards    fall down and then drag himself another 100 yards before expiring. They will adapt and deal with their issues    those are some cool pics   thank you for sharing

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:13:16 AM »
That is sure wild, BC! It's amazing how some deer can survive.

While tracking a Missouri deer another hunting party slob had wounded and didn't even bother to follow up on, I saw the 3 legged deer I was tracking quickly climb out of a deep creekbed, run several hundred yards across an open field, and clear a farm fence. He was running on the other side and along side of the fence in brush and didn't slow down until by .30/06 bullet hit his head.

When we looked the small buck over, the slob had shot off one of the deer's front legs at his knee joint and the deer had also been shot through his paunch.  :tickedoff
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Bubba19056

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 02:27:31 PM »
great photo, cant say I've ever seen that before.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:49:27 AM »
There was a 3-legged doe at my cousin's place for about 4 years running. Probably lost due to a bullet. She didn't seem to have any problems, except for the strange gait. She was always fat and raised at least two fawns that we know of. A lot of the neighbors saw her quite regularly while hunting, but always gave her a pass. She dissapeared after gun season a few years ago, probably strayed onto public land.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
Great pics!

3 legs doesn't seem to have affected him too much though.

It would be interesting to see him in 2 more years to see if the problem with his anlters remain.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments