November 19, 2017, 04:23:50 PM

Author Topic: Sot a big red/fox.Now how do I make it tender enough?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Big Papa

Sot a big red/fox.Now how do I make it tender enough?
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:22:42 PM »
 I have went through the recipes and have also tried many. Thanks in part to this website I have killed many squirrels!

The biggest issue I have is making BIG fox rats tender enough to eat. This one is the size of a small cat!  That my son and I tagged teamed .Any help out there fellas? To tender up this fella? And I read the thread about the "gray area" under the armpits. I didnt see that.
Big Papa is here!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Sot a big red/fox.Now how do I make it tender enough?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »
I'd say boil it before you try to fry it. Or pressure cook it. Bigger/tougher squirrels may be best used in a stew recipe.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »
I'd say boil it before you try to fry it. Or pressure cook it. Bigger/tougher squirrels may be best used in a stew recipe.
Yep, or a gravy recipe.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »

What he said.

Nick T

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »
Drop that old rascal in the pressure cooker. When it is done the meat will fall off the bone and melt in your mouth. You can then either drop it in a bag with flour, after coating it with flour drop it in Mr. Cast Iron Skillet with a little butter and make Squirrel McNuggets for a very tasty samich, or put it in a dutch oven with a pack of mixed vegetables. When it is done cover the top with biscuits and put a few coals on the lid to brown the biscuits. Will be the best potpie you ever ate. I suppose you could do it in the oven in a glass bake dish, but I ain't allowed to cook inside. The Evil One says I make way too much mess.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:38:51 AM »
soak it in butter milk over night then next day I put a lil seasoned salt on them and fry em like that really good  O0 O0 O0
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
Them big old ones are best either boiled for a while or cooked in a pressure cooker.

Another thing you can do is to add a couple more with it and fix a big thing of Squirrel & Noodles. O0

Here's the recipe for it. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
Lots of good stuff here. I learned about the buttermilk thing not too long ago and mean to try it out on some of our tough as nails jack rabbits. You might also try a crock pot. Many a squirrel made one heck of a stew in the family crock pot. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Big Papa

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »
Thanks guys!  I do not have a pressure cooker. So I will either boil them or really slow cook it in the crock pot. This guy was big!!  One of the biggest reds I have ever seen.
Big Papa is here!!

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 08:55:33 PM »
Lots of good stuff here. I learned about the buttermilk thing not too long ago and mean to try it out on some of our tough as nails jack rabbits.

I don't know about rabbit but I know buttermilk makes squirrels tender and taste great.   
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Facebook Comments