December 17, 2018, 07:09:10 AM

Author Topic: What does this indicate?  (Read 765 times)

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
What does this indicate?
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
I no longer have means to upload pics but ill try to explain in detail.  My bro and i were squirrel hunting, and theres a grove of small trees in this big field. We go up to the trees and between two of them is enough deer hair to fill a wheel barrel. Theres a little bit of blood visible, and a couple rubbings that were actually pretty big. What does this sound like a spot where deer fought, or bed, or were predatorized? There was some blood but not a lot, it was dried up pretty good too.   No body parts laying around, but a lot of hair.  most of it was grey looking hair like it was on nthe bottom of a deer.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
  • Happiness is a large gutpile
Re: What does this indicate?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »
Usually white hair is the belly hair of a deer . Grey sounds like body or side hair. I have often had a big circle of hair due to the exit of a bullet . Sometimes a 5 foot semicircle  of hair when I use a 30.06. Maybe someone shot a deer there??? Look for drag marke where someone drug a deer out of the woods
I am a dinosaur hunter

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »
Sounds like someone probably shot a deer there, with the hair and blood both being in the area.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »
Could an arrow hit make the hair puff out like that? I'm the only person who permissably hunts this spot, its 35 acres on that side of the road. I live close enough i would hear a gunshot if it came from over there.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 07:24:57 PM »
An arrow could have made it, but unlikely.

Dude, you're saying you've been at your house, awake, with noting on to cover up the sound of a shot, 24/7 the past few weeks? ???

Once gun season opens in an area, having permission doesn't seem to mean crap anymore. >:(  Every year, we have trespassers on our land.  Sometimes I catch them, sometimes I don't.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:57:30 AM »
past week or two i stay at home or go hide in the woods 

Got this funny feeling like someone's watchin me.  ;D

so much for being alone in the woods  :tickedoff

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
Trust your instincts, ray. It sounds like poachers around your place and they may be dangerous people.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »
  There's gonna be a fresh coat of snow in the morning ill walk around in the afternoon, with a friend and look for footprints.   My guess is, one of the folks that lives in the next subdivision over just got anxious to fill his deer tag, and wouldnt come back to the scene of the crime.  The angle of the spot the deer hair was would be a perfect rifle shot from one of my squirrel blinds, a big camo tarp over a leen too. It would be a steep downhill shot from about 80 yards

Facebook Comments