November 18, 2017, 08:50:25 AM

Author Topic: pellet types  (Read 980 times)

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
pellet types
« on: December 06, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
I got 3 types of pellet guns at my disposal for squirrel hunting but i made some minor observations while sighting them in. I used pointed pellets to sight them in. The pistol, browning 800 that hits 700 fps, pellets really dont deform that much in a phone book.  With the daisy 1000 rifle, the pointed pellets get smashed almost perfectly flat. I measured some at the widest expanding to 3/8 of an inch upon recovery. Does this negate any real purpose of hollow pointed hunting pellets, in the 1000 fps or more velocities?
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: pellet types
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
I noticed some difference between pellets. I used to shoot small game with a Sheridan with pointed pellets. The pointed pellets penetrated well without much deforming or mushrooming.

The pellets from the .22 Crossman expanded well and had more whop. Usually, the spindle shaped Crossman pellets ended up on the other side, under the hide of squirrels and sometimes, rabbits. I could actually hear the pellets hit squirrels.

Both guns were pump-up type and pretty close to the same power, I imagine.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »
That phonebook  isn't a fair test, but I'm not sure what is. Being so hard it will flatten the pointed pellet like no squirrel can. The hollowpoint will give up and not penetrate like it would on a squirrel.
 I'd go with what the gun likes to group best. With a well placed shot either will wreck a squirrels day. relative to the size of a squirrel, a 22 cal is a pretty big hole.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:03:28 PM »
I did a new test today with some higher quality crosman hollow pointed hunting pellets. Shot them into big balls of clay, instead of phone books.  The pellets fired from the pistol wouldnt really expand enough to make a difference. From the rifle t hey looked like classic mushroomed hp's, and went really deep.  I actually made a squirrel target out of the clay, realistic sized and they'd exit it on broadside hits and bury into the backstop. Bakcstop is just a thick piece of wood.  I dont think clay is a good indicator because the holes were huge, i could fit my thumb in it.  Got the scope on the rifle DEAD accurate though, i put it into the targets head almost every time at full zoom from 80 feet away.  Only thing that threw my shots off was the crappy double stage trigger sometimes i accidently squeezed too much on the initial squeeze.     But it was fun. We rolled some little tomatoes into the clay for the squirrel head and jfk'd it.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Facebook Comments